Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Nc500 – which bike?
  • drijones
    Free Member

Driving the route slowly over 12 days incl skye and planning to take a bike for the occasional 1-2hr spin from our bases What shld I take out of a hardtail and a road/gravel ?

boblo
    Free Member

It’s all road with a bit if steepness so a tourer or road bike with low enough gearing to get up 20%. I used a tourer carrying the usual touring crap.

whitestone
    Free Member

See the various threads about “riding near Poolewe/Ullapool/somewhere up north”. For such a big area there’s surprisingly little off-road stuff, not all the various estate roads, stalking tracks join up. In fact there aren’t that many roads!

I’d take the road/gravel bike and get out very early to ride bits of the route itself and then get picked up by your other half later.

butcher

It might be worth noting that you will find no road loops in the far north. You’ll likely be doing straight out and back routes.

If you want various options for riding from base I’d probably suggest gravel bike. But despite the lack of choice in routes, there is some lovely road riding.

enmac
    Free Member

Probably the best road ride I have ever done was a loop from Lochinver via Loch Assynt, Kylesku and Drumbeg. Lots of short sharp climbs but scenery to die for. It’s just over 60 km and took about 3-1/2 hrs. Don’t miss the pie shop in Lochinver.

butcher

Probably the best road ride I have ever done was a loop from Lochinver via Loch Assynt, Kylesku and Drumbeg. Lots of short sharp climbs but scenery to die for. It’s just over 60 km and took about 3-1/2 hrs. Don’t miss the pie shop in Lochinver.

Definitely recommend this one. Some of the best views on the west coast. Go Evening or early morning when it’s quiet. It’s best enjoyed in peace.

scotroutes

Probably the best road ride I have ever done was a loop from Lochinver via Loch Assynt, Kylesku and Drumbeg. Lots of short sharp climbs but scenery to die for

The road south of Lochinver towards Achiltibuie, passing Stac Polly is also superb, known as “The wee mad road of Inverpolly”. Loop back via the A835 and the Loch Assynt road.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Nc500 – which bike?’ is closed to new replies.