Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • NBD – hardtail bargain goodness
  • pimpingimp
    Free Member

I had some cash laying about and was looking into cheap second hand bikes, don’t ride much any more so sold my Aether7 back in the summer – was looking at an older Vitus Nucleus or Sentier but was worried I’d miss the stiffness of decent legged boost forks and a boost rear end.

Then I found some second hand Planet X Jackflash 29ers and was tempted.

This all ended with a trip to Ribble at Cribbs Causeway where I was greeted by an AM29er in grey that looked bloody lovely, alas. I was only looking to spend £500 on the 2nd hand market so it was out of reach.
    Old matey boy in the shop (great service btw) mentioned they do C2W and even do it on the sale bikes, which meant I could get an SX spec with Recons for a grand (in the sale) and with the tax savings I’d be back at pretty much spending £500 anyway, so win win.

Wasn’t sure I could take SX and reallllly crap forks though, uhmed and ahed for a while until I happened upon a post on here saying that the On-One Big Dog with a GX spec and 35’s, along with Guide R brakes for £850.

Yup, eight hundred and fifty pounds, for a bike with twice the spec of the £1k Ribble.
    Got straight on the case, voucher obtained through work and then went to buy.
    Nope.
    No dice. Little bit of reading on the site and it appears PX deal exclusively with Cycle Scheme. I’m with Cycle Solution. Balls.

Quick message sent and almost immediately I had a response from Abby at PX explaining it was all fine and they just set it up manually. It would be shipped when it was paid for. I had no idea how long that would take, but today I had a message saying it would be delivered in 2 hours! Happy Friday!

I present to you, my new Big Dog!
    It shall remain standard until I get a puncture, then new tyres and tubeless. I haven’t had a 29er for a while and it’s so in proportion it looks massive. I think I’m going to love it.

Big dog box

Unboxed

Nice colour

Big bike

Huge shout out to Planet X’s customer service, really pleased with them. Only 22 years since I had one of the first Gimps to land in the country (hence my user name) its great to have another On-One steel hardtail. And what a bargain!

I apologise to anyone except Weeksy who sees me riding, because like him I’ll be using pink pedals.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Looks good that!

I regret selling my last hardtail (SolarisMax), but I should have a new Nukeproof Scout built up next week!

I also looked at the Jack Flash as I wanted something a bit tamer to go with my ebike. I do like the look of that though 🙂

joebristol

That big dog looks decent – and £360 for a steel frame with 35’s and GX is a steal. Especially on bike to work where you won’t even be paying that much.

I like the look of a few of the Ribble bikes but they are pretty expensive now for what you get.

matt_outandabout

What’s the owl shaped ornament looking at?

Nice ride 👍

kayak23

What’s the owl shaped ornament looking at?

The rock shaped ornament?

Very nice that. Love a spindly steel frame.

reeksy

I’d be cleaning the moss of the driveway pronto. Hazardous when wet.

Bike’s an effing bargain!

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Sweet deal and nice looking rig. They seem very capable.

ads678

Looks great that!

therevokid
    Free Member

Sweet … I shall be keeping an eye out for the pink pedals then 😉

tthew

One of my riding buddies turned up on a new scandal this morning. Very nice indeed. Until the saddle snapped off its rails. 😁 Repaired with zip ties. Same Selle one as yours.

vmgscot

Bargain me thinks.
    Just given mine its annual strip and service and will be heading out tomorrow on ‘winter’ trail duties.

blitz

Great bikes. I built one up when they first launched and they were doing them frame only for £150. Had almost two years with it now and still enjoy it. Sure you’ll have fun with it.

desperatebicycle

Alright then, I’ll post mine on here! This is where it’s at with the build, was able to try the frame out for size for the first time, feels perfect, thankfully!
    Black Friday frame £390, Black Friday wheels £200 (thanks to CRC). Everything else off another bike, which was a 2nd hand bargain with nice parts. (Except the tyres, which came on my eBike which I sold). Pikes needed 20mm longer airshaft. All cables had to be replaced as too short from the other frame. Rear hose finally arrived today, so hoping to have a pair o brakes tomorrow. (Not my garden btw, much neater 🙂 )
    https://i.postimg.cc/kGsB3sZR/PXL-20221203-161832553.jpg

pimpingimp
    Free Member

The owl shaped ornament (it’s one of those ones with reflective eyes to scare away birds, which it doesn’t do) is looking at the gates. The rock shaped ornament is a rugby ball.

I won’t be cleaning the moss off until summer, we have lots of trees and the moss just keep coming in the winter so we put up with it. The cattle grid is way slippier than the driveway so in the grand scheme it’s not a problem.

Photo with pink pedals shall follow – I managed to leave my nice black Nano’s on my A7 when I sold it so it’s a crappy pair of V6’s for this beauty.

Took it out on the lane earlier to bed the brakes in, having a cold and sprinting in the cold isn’t ideal with my lack of fitness – I reckon I’m still feeling it!

kayak23

The owl shaped ornament (it’s one of those ones with reflective eyes to scare away birds, which it doesn’t do) is looking at the gates. The rock shaped ornament is a rugby ball.

Thanks for the clarification.
    Can you now go into why you have a lovely run of tall cupboards in that room and yet you appear to keep all your brooms etc in a corner? 🤔
    😉

pimpingimp
    Free Member

I love this place, it’s the details that matter. That’s a sort of larder of cupboards in the less used part of the kitchen and the 4 on the right have 800mm wide drawers from top to bottom. The one on the left had a few shelves in, none with enough clearance for a broom or mop.
    We have other places to keep them but my wife has cottoned on to the fact that if I can’t see them I won’t use them 😀

racefaceec90

that looks a great bike enjoy 🙂

kayak23

We have other places to keep them but my wife has cottoned on to the fact that if I can’t see them I won’t use them 😀

Excellent 😂👍

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.