Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • NBD: Cane Creek Electric Wings, Marin Alpine Trail Es, Bosch x Tektro ABS…
  • Ben_Haworth

… Liv Intrigue X, SRAM Stealth brakes, BikeYoke Revive 272 dropper and Canyon Exceed. They’re are here in this week’s collection of Most Interesting Stuff Launched Since Last Week.

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

NBD: Cane Creek Electric Wings, Marin Alpine Trail Es, Bosch x Tektro ABS…

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

gazzab1955

Why do only e-bikes need ABS?

Surely the speeds and situations that MTB’ers encounter are the same for powered and non-powered bicycles?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

These 3D-Printed Titanium eMTB Cranks are £1449.99

How much? You could buy a whole transmission for that!

tomhoward

Why do only e-bikes need ABS?

Surely the speeds and situations that MTB’ers encounter are the same for powered and non-powered bicycles?

I suspect because they have a readily and easily available power source.

vinnyeh

Why do e-bikes need ABS when it isn’t used on off-road motorcycles.

As I  understand it, ABS reduces braking effectiveness on loose surfaces .

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I think ABS is being brought in for EMTBs as there are a lot of older riders using them. Some of them are well into their 40’s!! Obviously at that age their mental faculties are starting to decline and they are not as strong as they once were.

oldfart

Why the obsession with lighter weight on an E Bike? 🤔🙄
    Dropper on a gravel bike ? Just by a 29er and be done with it 🙄

gazzab1955

@oldfart – I think the lighter e-mtb’s are so that owners don’t injure themselves when lifting them up on to bike racks 🙂

I picked up a mates HT Cube e-mtb recently and couldn’t believe the weight, nearly caused a hernia, god only knows what the FS version weighs! He says the weight doesn’t matter, it has an engine so why worry about how heavy it is.

@tomhoward
    – ABS on cars is all about being able to steer and manoeuvre while still braking, don’t see how this applies on an e-MTB. It also has a computer which monitors wheel speeds and applies the brakes accordingly, making it an even more complicated bike. I guess ABS means you may not go over the handle bars as the front wheel is (possibly?) still turning intermittently, but you probably get to that tree that you are trying to avoid a bit quicker.

To me ABS on bicycles just sounds like a Marketing Dept idea to make even more profit on already very expensive bikes.

oily76

It may be considered too much extra weight on a normal bike. Also, while top speeds might be the same on an e-bike and normal bike, the e-bike has more mass to stop.

oily76

Seeing as no-one else has, feels wrong
    not to say HOW MUCH FOR SOME CRANK-ARMS?????!!!!!

doomanic

Too long as well; all the dentists want 160mm cranks to save learning how to read the trail.

Those Marins look pretty good value for money, just a shame about the motor.

tomhoward

HOW MUCH FOR SOME CRANK-ARMS?????!!!!!

Comparable to other 3D printed Ti options?

dyna-ti

Ahh yes, Ti cranks. Long tried idea, all resulted in cracking.

ABS. Oh dead God.
    Heres the funny thing though. I dont know of anyone who has been pitched over the bars by the brakes locking up, and if that were in fact a reality and there have been cases, just how many would be needed to warrant such an idea.

Tektro. A brake long known for its raw and unbridled power.

Perhaps they should just stick to the standard formula, as shown on the £5000-£6000 bikes above, and just continue to fit them with mincey Shimano m420 brakes.
    No chance of those locking up, unless of course the bike is stationary.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.