• This topic has 93 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Navratilova in trouble for stating the obvious .
  • RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Seems a perfectly reasonable thing to say as far as I can see .https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47301007

MSP

The way she framed her argument was vary poor, especially for someone who herself has (and probably still does) suffer from bigotry. She could have just said she thought that transgender athletes have an unfair advantage, rather than calling them cheats and implying that the only reason they are transgender is for sporting success, and will go back to making babies afterwards.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

last year Martina was relentlessly bullied on twitter by Rachel McKinnon into deleting a tweet.

The article is in part a response to that. I’d imagine her patience has worn a little thin.

Many women appear to now be taking a ‘**** nice’ approach.

rene59
    Free Member

In the continual march for progression, even the progressive reach a point where they won’t drink the kool aid in order to be able to proceed. As there are only two sides, at this point they get kicked out the progressive club and become the enemy.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I think it’s mental and would agree with natratalova essentially. Ultimately it’s not really a conversation I should be involved in. It’s a discussion women need to have out themselves.

DezB
    Free Member

You’ve just got to be so careful not to upset people these days.. There’s bound to be someone who takes offence! It’s no surprise celebs like Beyonce, Kylie, Ed Sheeran, et al, choose to have no opinions about anything at all.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The way her physique changed throughout her career, and the shape of her arms and neck, make me think she has dabbled with things to give her an advantage, plus she is a lesbian, so I am surprised really that she is making these comments.

globalti
    Free Member

The irony of this is that all over Africa and probably other continents, “sports age” is a common cheat. You simply “persuade” the officer to mistakenly issue a passport showing your child as a year younger than they really are, meaning they will always be competing in sport against children a year or two younger than themselves. It’s very frustrating for people who want to play competitive sport in their own peer group.

slimjim78
    Free Member

She could have just said she thought that transgender athletes have an unfair advantage, rather than calling them cheats and implying that the only reason they are transgender is for sporting success, and will go back to making babies afterwards.

I read it as suggesting the current system leaves the door open for someone to willingly cheat and obtain riches – which would be a genuine threat, no?

She’s not calling TG’s cheats, but calling out the current rules on participation for Men to Women.

The science argument is the bit im struggling with a the moment – IIRC, a former man just needs testosterone suppressants for a minimum of 12 months to be classified as a woman, with wedding tackle in tact. I cant see how that alters a life time of a mans physiology enough that they no longer hold a strength advantage.

scotroutes

It’s a discussion women need to have out themselves.

Except that many women expressing an opinion are being abused online and having discussion channels blocked to them.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I cant see how that alters a life time of a mans physiology enough that they no longer hold a strength advantage.

It doesn’t. Also don’t forget the skeletal advantage of males.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

The science argument is the bit im struggling with a the moment – IIRC, a former man just needs testosterone suppressants for a minimum of 12 months to be classified as a woman, with wedding tackle in tact. I cant see how that alters a life time of a mans physiology enough that they no longer hold a strength advantage.

Rachel McKinnon is arguing that they should not have to reduce their testosterone AT ALL because they are a ‘biological’ women. This is beyond batshit crazy, it really is.

slimjim78
    Free Member

It doesn’t. Also don’t forget the skeletal advantage of males.

Quite, and sinew development, ligament development/strength, im sure there are more advantages.

Rachel McKinnon is arguing that they should not have to reduce their testosterone AT ALL because they are a ‘biological’ women.

And most of the statements im reading are as if this is fact, with others either willingly nodding along or too nervous to speak out.
    In fact, I am concerned myself with being labelled a bigot or some-such just for merely suggesting that a woman with working testicles and penis, and no womb/ovaries should not classified as a woman in sport.

I understand that some women lose their reproductive organs or are born without, and I see the need for scientists to clarify thorough hormonal/choromosonal classification – but I also think we need to uphold some sort of common sense

votchy
    Free Member

but I also think we need to uphold some sort of common sense

Something that the world lacks…

El-bent
    Free Member

Something that the world lacks…

Not really, common sense rarely survives first contact with facts.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

TurnerGuy

The way her physique changed throughout her career, and the shape of her arms and neck, make me think she has dabbled with things to give her an advantage, plus she is a lesbian, so I am surprised really that she is making these comments.

Don’t you think that playing tennis every day of your life for probably 20 years is going to have some effect on a person’s physique . Anyway she never failed a drugs test and her sexuality has nothing to do with the issue .

zippykona

Sports should be split into people who enjoy shopping for curtains and those that don’t.

lunge

Sports should be split into people who enjoy shopping for curtains and those that don’t.

Cracking, my running times have always suggested I’d be a good female club runner as opposed to a bang average male runner. As someone who oddly likes shopping for soft furnishings then I now have a fighting chance.

ctk
    Free Member

Curtains has something to do with how to categorise people I’m sure

ctk
    Free Member

Time for a reboot of Trans World Sport?

epicyclo

Maybe we should define male as born with insemination equipment, female as born with the capacity to grow a baby, and create a new classification the para-sexual athlete for all the rest.

(For sporting purposes only, socially it’s surely up to the person)

chakaping
    Free Member

The way she framed her argument was vary poor

It was very deliberately provocative, more so than I’d have been – even though I broadly agree with her.

I don’t see a problem with that however. Silencing dissenting athletes with accusations of “transphobia” is offensive and makes those doing the accusing look like bullies, rather than aiding their cause.

Rachel McKinnon is just coming off like a rent-a-gob TBH. But it’s no surprise after the way she conducted herself in defending her own sporting triumph.

kcr
    Free Member

If Navratilova is “stating the obvious” and trans athletes are “cheating”, can anyone tell me which regulation the cheats are specifically breaking?

rene59
    Free Member

Nature.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

This story is being featured on the Channel 5 6:30pm news bulletin.

Earlier this week, Dr Nicola Williams was invited to appear on BBC Radio 5 live to discuss Martina’s article in the Sunday Times. The show withdrew the invitation after demands by Rachel McKinnon.

Channel 5 will be featuring Kellie Maloney.

TiRed

This would be my route to that Elite license 😉 . I’m a less than spectacular second cat, but we regularly race women who can race down a category. I also train with a female first cat road racer in our club. I’m 20 years older and male. That puts us on a roughly even par.

In the geeky world of TT’ing, there is of course standards for men and women of all ages, and positions are awarded for time below standard. An octagenarian regularly smashes the VTTA results. However… when it comes to actual times, I’m almost as fast as the current female record holder over 12 hours. And faster than the legendary Berly Burton. You can level the field, just like golf.

McKinnon had a meteoric rise from no cycling to Elite world champion in about the same time it took me to get to thrid cat. From a background of badminton rather than the more traditional cardivascular rowing. She quotes power to weight ratio as being the same or even below others, but on the track it’s POWER that is king in sprinting events.

The science is really whether a lifetime of testosterone exposure can be mitigated with a relatively short period of non-exposure. I personally do not think this is possible. The inter-sex arguments are not the same.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

It’s on Channel 5 now, with a panel comprised of three trans women.

vickypea
    Free Member

If we can’t even define what we mean by “woman” or “female”, we haven’t a hope of agreeing categories for sports.

chewkw
    Free Member

Time for a reboot of Trans World Sport?

😀 That’s good.

True equality has one category only that is human category and just let them all compete against each other. To split up the category means we acknowledge certain gender is weaker. I want to see top female sport women play against the men. That should learn them. 😀

kcr
    Free Member

No one got an answer about which regulation the “cheats” are actually breaking then?

imnotverygood

No one got an answer about which regulation the “cheats” are actually breaking then

They are competing as women, when they have a willy

seosamh77
    Free Member

kcr

No one got an answer about which regulation the “cheats” are actually breaking then?

The conversation doesn’t really have much to do with regulations, it would be more about what is correct to do i’d think. The regulations should follow that, not the other way around.

seosamh77
    Free Member

You’ve also got to question the idea of athlete’s taking hormones to dumb down their abilities, particularly in this day and age of doping.

What/who actually defines the correct level of hormones, it’s still a biological/chemical(don’t know the correct term to use) adjustment. So seems well iffy to me. Not to mention other differences as mentioned above.

seosamh77
    Free Member

scotroutes

It’s a discussion women need to have out themselves.

Except that many women expressing an opinion are being abused online and having discussion channels blocked to them.

fair point, lets get to the source of that then. The accusation being branded about is of being transphobic.

That begs the question what is transphobia?

Am I transphobic because I don’t find transexuals attractive?
    Are women transphobic if they don’t want to share a bathroom with a transexual?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Are women transphobic if they don’t want to share a bathroom with a transexual?

Seriously what is it with people and bathrooms?

seosamh77
    Free Member

It’s a simple question, trying to see how far the transphobic tag goes. Is it wrong to have any barriers?

technicallyinept
    Free Member

It’s a simple question, trying to see how far the transphobic tag goes.

Can we keep to sports?

Both Dame Kelly Holmes and Paula Radcliffe are now speaking out about this on twitter.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a simple question, trying to see how far the transphobic tag goes. Is it wrong to have any barriers?

It is but also a pointless one, it must blow people’s minds when they see the sign saying men and women clean these toilets. What is the actual fear (the literal definition of a phobia) after that it’s about treating people differently for no good reason.

seosamh77
    Free Member

So what’s your point there, transpeople should carry a sign and stick it outside the door when they are using the facilities? 😆 You point doesn’t make a lot of sense.

The act isn’t the point, it’s about this transphobia tag and what it means.

Lets go to the first one am I transphobic cause I don’t find trans people attractive?

The ultimate question is should there be any barriers?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Navratilova in trouble for stating the obvious .’ is closed to new replies.