Home Forums Chat Forum Nanny Cam – right or wrong

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Nanny Cam – right or wrong
  • bernard
    Free Member

If it is illegal (I have no idea whether it is or not) how come none of the hidden camera journo’s or the recently exposed nursing home hidden camera exposers have been prosecuted/sued?

GrahamS

m_f: I think the OP agreed to that on his second post:

The clock was bought specifically for this purpose and remains in its box, where it will stay.

Diary is a good idea, it is something our nursery do for all the kids under two: what they did that day, what they ate, when they slept, how many dirty nappies.

Regarding development: our nursery has a folder for each child charting key stage developments along with photos, coursework and testimonials. They even have parents evenings!

I’d expect a registered childminder to do something like that, though obviously not quite to the same degree.

GrahamS

If it is illegal (I have no idea whether it is or not) how come none of the hidden camera journo’s or the recently exposed nursing home hidden camera exposers have been prosecuted/sued?

“Public interest”, innit guv?

bernard
    Free Member

So if a nanny was found to be abusing the kids and you had filmed it by hidden camera you could claim it is in the public interest to expose a nanny who could go on to carry out further abuse

aracer
    Free Member

Do you not have a spare bedroom you could put the clock in? You could get the childminder to stay over then.

martinhutch

My kids wear hidden Go Pros to school. I like to keep an eye on where my taxpayer money is going.

UncleFred
    Free Member

Update:

For those of you that might have missed it.

Everybodies comments confirmed that we were right to be uneasy about setting up the nanny cam, and that we were being paranoid.

The girls were both happy this morning and have been having a whale of a time so far today. We’ve had a couple of photos already.

They have a diary of activities planned for their day and we’re going to be planning future activities with her.

Murray

Well done Uncle Fred – you’ve done the right thing.

druidh
    Free Member

UncleFred – Member
    we’re going to be planning future activities with her.

Good to see you are going to take aracers advice…

aracer – Member
    Do you not have a spare bedroom you could put the clock in? You could get the childminder to stay over then.

allthepies
    Free Member

Get ceiling cat on the case.

SiB
    Free Member

When we had a childminder it was only years later that we discovered she had a sleep everyday for an hour when she was meant to be minding the kids. She used to give them a bag of sweets and generally let them do anything they wanted to do so she was left in peace. Could we tell from our kids that this was going on? No we couldnt as the kids were obviously happy with their bribe. Also found out at a later date she ‘bribed’ them with sweets whilst she went in to the sunbed shop and left them in the car outside. If I saw her again (this all happened about 15years ago) I think I would swing for her!

Would have loved to CCTV her so I could have got rid of her straight away, didnt feel I had a need though as kids were always happy due to her bribes.

DezB
    Free Member

You sir, are a fool.
    You ask about secretly filming someone on the most politically correct forum in the western world?? What answer did you really expect?

Just do it and don’t tell anyone. (Bit late now I guess).

How much do you want for the clock-cam?

konabunny
    Free Member

There’s some right bollocks being talked on this thread.

You don’t have a reasonable expectation of privacy when you’re in someone else’s house, looking after someone else’s kids.

If it was me and I found it I think I’d be reading the Human Rights act and employment law and looking at new cars.

Brian Butterworth? Is that you?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Username ‘UncleFred’ and a post about spying ona nanny with a hidden camera. You couldn’t make it up.

Anyway, seeing as you’re not using clockcam…..

cheekyboy
    Free Member

They have a diary of activities planned for their day and we’re going to be planning future activities with her.

great stuff, get her to knock up a 4 weekly MS project plan c/w with a power point brief, look forward to the updates.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d have no problem with someone filming me if I were minding their child. These days i’d expect it in fact. In any other form of work your employer can see your working and comment if it’s not satisfactory, they can use CCTV to watch you do that without your express permission, I don’t see why child minding should be exempt from the same scrutiny.

alfabus
    Free Member

From http://www.kidshield.co.uk/nannies_and_babysitters.htm

Is It Legal To Use A Nanny Cam?

Using a recording device in your own home in the UK is perfectly legal as long as you do not use them in areas where people would expect to have “reasonable privacy” for example bathrooms.

In order to remain within the limitations of UK law, Kidshield would recommend that you inform your nanny that you may occasionally use a “nanny cam” to check in on your children – just don’t tell them where it is. In other EU countries we suggest that you consult legal advice before installing a nannycam.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’d have no problem with someone filming me if I were minding their child. These days i’d expect it in fact. In any other form of work your employer can see your working and comment if it’s not satisfactory, they can use CCTV to watch you do that without your express permission, I don’t see why child minding should be exempt from the same scrutiny.

I am not sure an employer could just film their staff without telling them. Perhaps having cams trained on tills to monitor transactions would be acceptable, but a nanny wouldn’t be *only* looking after the kids whilst being filmed (and of course she could be in the bathroom dunking them in the toilet bowl for misbehaving without being filmed).

Unless he also has a CrapperCam of course.

But I have just realised this is Fred (you know, FRED) winding us up.

zimbo
    Free Member

You realise that around 68 percent of couples with children have both parents working these days? That’s a pretty large majority that you disapprove of.
    It must be nice to have the choice though.
    /quote]

Having to work and wanting to work are two different things. There are too many kids being born today who seem to be accessories to people’s lives and come second place to their parents’ career ambitions. You know the ones, palmed off on grandparents every day. I reckon most kids would prefer a hug from mum or dad when they need it to a five bedroom house with two ensuites. That’s not to belittle the strife of people who genuinely have to work, but that isn’t the case in a big chunk of that 68 percent.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“That’s not to belittle the strife of people who genuinely have to work, but that isn’t the case in a big chunk of that 68 percent.”

Please do qualify

I myself have a child, as do quite a few of my friends, and NONE OF THEM/ME have been gifted a large sum of money so we GENUINELY have to go out to work…. unless you are suggesting that the 68% of people should become doll dossers?

molgrips
    Free Member

There are too many kids being born today who seem to be accessories to people’s lives

That might be true, but please don’t imagine that all double-working parents fall into this category. It’s ignorant and unfair, and quite probably upsetting to those who have to do it.

Any idea how much houses cost in the South East, out of interest? I do pretty well, and Mrs Grips doesn’t work, but we still couldn’t afford to move down there even if we wanted to.

GrahamS

That’s not to belittle the strife of people who genuinely have to work, but that isn’t the case in a big chunk of that 68 percent.

Sorry, but that’s bollocks.

In case you haven’t noticed the average UK mortgage has risen steeply compared to the average UK salary.

Many couples are working to afford a perfectly normal house, not a “five bedroom house with two ensuites”.
    Add onto that the actual cost of having children, including saving for their future (e.g. putting 2 kids through uni at 9 grand a year each + living expenses and rent? Ouch!).

I reckon most kids would prefer a hug from mum or dad when they need it

And I reckon most mums and dads would rather be at home with their kids.

Sadly most of us have to work for a living.

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t have to actually stump up nine grand a year to put them through uni btw. This is not the USA.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I do agree in part with some of these last comments.

I know someone very well – he works long hours, often abroad for weeks at a time. She works full time – and just moved to a job that means she also works during school holidays (she was working in a school so *did* at least have school holidays with her kids).

The kids are at school/nursery/grandparents every single day and get palmed off to after school clubs every day too – so they see their parents for an hour in the morning (rushing to get ready and thrown out of the door) and a similar time on a night before being packed off to bed.

But they have the big house and are talking about getting a new second car – an Audi Q7 ‘because I need a 7 seater in case any of the kids need their friends ferrying around anywhere’.

I might be old fashioned but I just don’t think it is right. Personally my earnings are half what they were 4 years ago (self employed) and since our kids arrived my wife now only works term time for 2.5 days a week so she gets to have lots of time with our girls growing up. We really struggle at times but I think it is only fair on the children – after all we didn’t have them just to give them to someone else for the majority of their waking hours.

taxi25
    Free Member

we had a bad child minding experience with our son. So I’d say to the op, don’t open the box just yet but if you develop any concerns get the camclock out. Wish we’d had one back in the day !

bwaarp
    Free Member

Thats it.

Not having kids.

GrahamS

You don’t have to actually stump up nine grand a year to put them through uni btw

You do (as I understand it), you just have the option of paying for it with a huge loan.

I might be old fashioned but I just don’t think it is right. Personally my earnings are half what they were 4 years ago (self employed) and since our kids arrived my wife now only works term time for 2.5 days a week so she gets to have lots of time with our girls growing up. We really struggle at times but I think it is only fair on the children – after all we didn’t have them just to give them to someone else for the majority of their waking hours.

My wife took a year’s maternity when our little one was born then moved to 50% hours. Huge drop in our earnings as she is the major breadwinner.

So our daughter is in nursery 3 days a week, 8:30 till 6, and with us the rest of the time.

It’s the compromise we chose and that we live with. Everyone has to decide what works best for them and what is best for their kids.

FWIW I don’t see any evidence of children being “accessories to people’s lives” amongst the working families we know.

TiRed

Look on the positive side. She’s newly qualified, keen to impress in her first job and will be trying hard. Harder than the established pro would be my guess. Son1 loved going to a very experienced childminder who looked after six children with an assistant. Son2 when to said childminder’s nursery a few years later. Childminding was a much better option. Neither were damaged by the experience!

“They may cry when you leave, but by the time you are at the end of the road, they’ve forgotten who you are!”

project
    Free Member

How sad, just perhaps look after the kids yourself,and enjoy seing them growing up,not being looked after by a succession of cheap childminders.

Hope youve got public liabilty insurance incase she falls over,or has an accident, along with her being registered as a child minder,and having insurance,along with being registered for tax and national insurance.

Is Watchdog your favourite show on tv.

GrahamS

How sad, just perhaps look after the kids yourself,and enjoy seing them growing up,not being looked after by a succession of cheap childminders.

As above, not everyone is independently wealthy.

bedmaker

Phew, if you could overdose on high and mighty you’d be in a coma after reading this thread. 😕

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Nanny Cam – right or wrong’ is closed to new replies.