Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • My turn to help someone in need :)
  • gnusmas

Just wanted to share the news with you all, after all the help you have given us.

Happened to see by chance a gofundme page for a man that lives about a mile away from me. I have seen him around town and said hello to him a few times, but not for a while. This is why. https://www.gofundme.com/help-to-buy-medical-equipment

Just spoke to him on the phone, his situation and everything him and his family are going through is scarily similar to our situation.

I explained to him unfortunately I am not in a position to financially help, but I can help them. I forwarded my blog address to him so he could see I do understand. Lyanda’s wheelchair, walking frames, bath seats and other items are all being given to him by me so he can have a better quality of life.

Also, he has alienated himself, much the same as Lyanda did, from the outside world. I have made it perfectly clear that some mornings I will pop down to see them. Have already discussed taking him for coffee so his wife can have a break and also for his self confidence building.

Like we agreed, until someone experiences these life changing circumstances they cannot fully understand or offer any words of wisdom. I understand too well from each of their points of view what they are all going through. He said all he wants, apart from needing the equipment, is some emotional support and a friend he didn’t need to constantly explain himself too. So hopefully this new found possible friendship will benefit us both.

That is all. Finally, my turn to be able to help, hopefully in a major way.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sum

of

Awe.

Greybeard
    Free Member

“Like” !

rickmeister

Do
    Epic
    Shizzzle

The gift of friendship.

leffeboy

**** – A

thepurist

Top job sir, but you’d already got going by offering those gripshifts to me… Maybe not quite in the same league tho 😉

gnusmas

The purist – they are sitting in a box ready to go, will be popping into town tomorrow/Thursday. Sorry for the delay, been a really busy and stressful couple of weeks.

funkmasterp

This is why we need a like button

Ambrose

And you have found a tipper to help me out too.

rockhopper70

And a bmx for my (frustratingly fickle son)…

theotherjonv

this is why people on here helping you when you need(ed) it isn’t charity. It’s because they know when you can, you pay it forward, and in turn hopefully the person you help can do the same. And little by little, ‘things’ get better and the world is a bit of a nicer place for those that can help and who get the help.

And if everyone benefits a little bit, we all benefit a lot.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

Well done mate.

andrewh
    Free Member

What JohnV said, it’s all good kharma ad makes the world a wee bit nicer for all concerned.

matt_outandabout

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thats worth a gold star & a smiley face!

breninbeener

Top work. you are a star

grumpysculler
    Free Member

until someone experiences these life changing circumstances they cannot fully understand or offer any words of wisdom

Here be a wise thing.

You, sir, are a good bloke. Chapeau.

I hope this becomes a positive friendship for both of you.

granny_ring

Nice one mate 👍

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Gnusmas, you are a good man, a very good man.

jamj1974

This is why people offered help – because you are a good guy who helps others.

SaxonRider

That’s fantastic, gnusmas! I hope it’ll be as helpful for you as it is for him. There is nothing like receiving then giving in turn.

I am genuinely delighted to hear this.

Very best wishes.

spacemonkey

The sh1t that some people have to go through *£%^s me off.

Top work gnusmas for making Brian and his family’s like a bit less sh1t.

I sincerely hope you can become a great support for one another.

neilthewheel

Someone once said, “There’s no such thing as society”.

Bolleaux.

Pyro

I knew there was a reason I liked this place. A nice offset to some of the cockbaggery on other topics.

Gnusmas – you, Sir, are a star.

Ambrose

@SaxonRider… The GnusMeister has only gone and arranged for the bricks to be collected by a nice bloke with a tipper van. Wahey!

CheesybeanZ

Like and much respect .

garage-dweller

Much respect Mr gnusmas for doing that after all you’ve been through.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

This thread is very annoying, it appears to have triggered a dust storm in my lounge.

l0key
    Free Member

Who’s chopping onions?

Good work. (on everything)

drnosh
    Free Member

Post of the Year.

School report A**

Well done you.

jimmy

Shoo-perb work.

gnusmas

This morning, I carried the electric wheelchair out of the house and down the 14 steps for the last time. Really mixed emotions in doing so, and the half hour journey over to Brian’s house. Shed a few tears on the way and fond memories were overflowing. I know Lyanda would have wanted me to do this as much as i wanted to. It will now benefit someone else in need and hopefully give him the same sense of independence and freedom Lyanda experienced, all thanks to all of you.

Brian is a really nice bloke. Had a cuppa with him and chatted for an hour before I had to go and get the little one from nursery. He said he really wanted to keep in touch and hopefully meet up now and again. He said it was nice, in a strange way, to be able to talk about things without worrying of the response he would get. He asked what it was like from the carers side of things. I tried explaining from my point of view what his wife was likely to be thinking. He seemed pleased about this and I hope gave him a rough look at things from her perspective.

All in all, another very emotional day. Sadness and upsetting, but happy too, knowing this will benefit him and help him live his life the best way he can from now on.

scuttler

<speechless>

freeagent
    Free Member

Well done for getting through another tough day.

I’m pretty sure you’ll get as much out of this situation as Brian will.. i’ve taken a bit of comfort in passing some of my late brothers things onto worthy recipients over the last couple of years.

Just a thought – you might find that yours/Brians kids could find it useful to talk about the difficult time they’re going through..?

gnusmas

That is one thing we discussed, getting all the kids together. It turns out that their kids went to the school ours goes to until about 2 years ago, when his problems got worse and they had to move. That would explain how we sort of knew each other before. There is a possibility they know each other already, which would be nice.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘My turn to help someone in need :)’ is closed to new replies.