Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • My son is an idiot……
  • gnusmas

On March the 6th of this year, 2 months ago, our eldest punched a wall in school. He was getting wound up by someone and preceeded to walk away. After he left the room, one of his friends told him to punch the wall instead. And he did. He broke meta carpal 4 and 5 in his hand. 4 weeks in a cast and several trips to the fracture clinic and its healing well.

Fast forward to today. I get a phone call from the school asking me to pick him up and get him checked out. He had tripped over his undone laces. I keep telling him to do his laces up, which his reply is usually in the form of ‘can’t be arsed, nothings going to happen anyway’ or ‘why should I, I’ve done them once already’

After tripping over his laces, he fell over a chair in the class and landed awkwardly on his arm. Take him to the hospital, another x-ray and where his hand was healing it isn’t anymore. The break is worse this time. Another 4-6 weeks in a cast and weekly trips to the fracture clinic.

While I understand he may not strictly be an idiot and it is one of those things, he’s still an idiot. I have done the proper parent thing and laughed lots etc. It’s either that or scream.

ossify

It’s either that or scream.

I suggest punching a wall to relieve your feelings 🙂

wwaswas

It’s either that or scream punch a wall

ftfy

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Whoops.

Maybe he’ll learn this time. Or, maybe not. You are after all simply leading the horse to water.

My eldest also has a gift for things going “whoops” around him. I look forward* to this sort of misadventure in a few years.

* I don’t.

willard

Make sure you remind him of this for the next 30 years or so. And draw something embarrassing on the cast

Kryton57

Bearing in mind your recent history gnusmas, give him a Big Dad hug and have a chat with him.

Just make sure thier arent any underlining frustrations or sadness he needs your help with.

fossy

I’ve got an idiot son too.

18, not looking after his Type 1. Routine checkup yesterday, nope, you are being admitted – high blood sugars and ketones. Let out at 10:30, told to check again. Woke him at 4am, he’d lied about his Keytone checking as he had actually lost his meter. Phoned hospital, bring him back in.

Sat there all morning with him, and had to go to work this afternoon. He’s in overnight now. Not testing bloods, going days without testing, only giving insulin once a day (he is on a pump). Now faces having the pump taken off him.

To top it off, he will have money to buy a car in about 6 weeks – he won’t be able to drive with bloods like that.

Idiots aren’t they.

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe he’ll learn this time. Or, maybe not.

Ah, he’ll definitely learn. It might take a while, when he’s over being a cool, edgy kid. But he’ll get there.

nicko74

😀
    To a greater or lesser extent, all kids are idiots. Actually, most adults are too… Sadly it’s a large part of parenting…

Best to scream briefly, then laugh, then accept that these things happen. And know that we’ve all been through things that are somewhat similar and are totally sympathetic to your plight! 🙂

PiknMix
    Free Member

We were all idiots once. Tripping on a shoelace is highly amusing though, Milk this at every opportunity.

kimbers

that thing is a side on 1p coin in my 5 year old sons intestine

he came running into us in tears saying he’d swalowed a golden coin, was really upset

had to sift thru his poos to make sure it came out & I assumed it was a £1 too, instead was a penny

we never quite figured out how he managed to swallow it
    – a few days later I caught him trying to walk around balancing a coin on his chin….

wwaswas

was really upset

had to sift thru his poos to make sure it came out

“How’s he doing?”
    “Still no change.”

maccruiskeen

He’s doing a great public service. When I was a kid there was always at least one kid in the class with their arm in plaster. You pretty much never see broken kids anymore …. but when you do you get a lovely warm glow of nostalgia.

Tell him to keep up the good work!

🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

tbh, does sound like he’s an idiot! 😆

Best of luck to him! 😆

franksinatra

teenage son with hand in plaster for 4 – 6 weeks. I hope it is not his hand of choice..

maccruiskeen

that thing is a side on 1p coin in my 5 year old sons intestine

when I was primary school age I spent an afternoon lying on the floor, balancing a 2pm coin on my lips and blowing it in the air and catching it in my mouth.

After a while I had the idea that if I took a breath quick enough and blow again I could blow it back up again before it landed.

It only took one try to realise that wasn’t feasible. A 2p is quite uncomfortable to swallow.

Having swallowed it I took the sensible precaution of not mentioning it to anyone. Might still be in there somewhere  for all I know.

unovolo
    Free Member

Won’t tie his laces ehh, get him some of these , and he will soon start to tie his laces again rather than face the ridicule of oldman shoes.

toby1

I was just going to suggest a pair of terribly uncool velcro shoes as penance!

But yes, having been a teenager once I can confirm that they are idiots!

Harry_the_Spider

My daughter once had to have sweetcorn removed from up her nose.

Kids are idiots.

gnusmas

Forgot to say he is right handed and he has broken his right hand.

teenage son with hand in plaster for 4 – 6 weeks. I hope it is not his hand of choice..

Being a hormone fuelled teenager being led by his nether regions, i have told him he will have to use his other hand now. He didn’t react much to that apart from a red face and a nervous chuckle.

Bearing in mind your recent history gnusmas, give him a Big Dad hug and have a chat with him.

Already done this, still do with all of them. The original fist meets wall was a vague link to it, but this was nothing to do with it. That’s why I’m laughing about it this time.

And toddler trainers have already been threatened, don’t worry.

Esme
    Free Member

My son managed to push a BB pellet behind his eyeball. Another idiot.

fossy

PS I was regularly in A&E for stitches to my head !

Northwind

fossy

I’ve got an idiot son too.

18, not looking after his Type 1. Routine checkup yesterday, nope, you are being admitted – high blood sugars and ketones. Let out at 10:30, told to check again. Woke him at 4am, he’d lied about his Keytone checking as he had actually lost his meter. Phoned hospital, bring him back in.

Sat there all morning with him, and had to go to work this afternoon. He’s in overnight now. Not testing bloods, going days without testing, only giving insulin once a day (he is on a pump). Now faces having the pump taken off him.

To top it off, he will have money to buy a car in about 6 weeks – he won’t be able to drive with bloods like that.

Idiots aren’t they.

I really don’t get it… I mean, I’m a lazy person, so I look after my diabetes. It’s so much easier to do it right than to live with it going wrong, even in the immediate term never mind the long. Hypos and ketoacidosis absolutely wreck your day.

leffeboy

appreciates @wwaswaswork

matt_outandabout

If he has a cast on, how well does he sleep and how is your artistry…?

fossy

@Northwind, my son is being a real idiot. Just not bothering testing. He does have burn-out, but, like you said, it’s easier to keep dealing with it.

He’s been T1 5 years. This last year, he hasn’t been trying. He has loads to lose. Passed his test in the Autumn, has ‘money’ coming to him imminently (baby bond policy) to buy a decent second hand car, and has just landed himself a really good apprenticeship starting in September. Oh and he can’t be ar$ed getting out of bed on time for college (we’ve left home by 6:30am). That won’t go down well with a new employer.

Frustrating !

tthew

when he’s over being a cool, edgy kid

There’s no such thing! Teenagers are genetically programmed to be self centered bell ends. All of them. I was, you were, (if you’l admit it, (this isn’t aimed specifically at you OP, any reader of this was)) but eventually they’ll grow out of if and be a bit more considerate of themselves and others. Standard.

granny_ring

Oh dear Alan lol, he is learning the hard way!

“How’s he doing?”
    “Still no change.”

🙂

gnusmas

If he has a cast on, how well does he sleep and how is your artistry…?

He sleeps really well, but my artistry is nowhere near that standard. That is really good. The best I could come up with on his last cast was
    ‘this is the hardest I’ve been all year’
    He hid that in school really well. I made sure to show that to all his teachers at his parents evening. They all thought it was great and laughed, with a look of ‘is that really appropriate’

revs1972
    Free Member

had to sift thru his poos to make sure it came out

Little un, 4 years old at the time, swallowed the ball from Mousetrap. Full panic mode ensued, but it became clear that the gasps etc were not where he was choking on it, more that he was upset as he couldn’t finish his game. Took him up to A and E where they used a metal detector to make sure it was in the right place ( no fancy x rays lol)
    Spent the next 2 weeks having to squeeze his poo ( good job we had poo bags left over from the dog )
    Certainly took the shine off the ball though. Kept it as a souvenir for him 🙂

timbog160

To be honest, having had numerous OTB excursions whilst out with my 15 year old (who is generally pretty cautious), I think it’s more a case of ‘my dad is an idiot…’

joshvegas
    Free Member

We all have our moments…
    We all have our moments...
    … right Northwind?

JohnnyPanic

I had a mate at Uni who punched a lamppost.
    Unsurprisingly broke his hand.
    Unrequited love…

nicko74

Harry_the_Spider

Subscriber

My daughter once had to have sweetcorn removed from up her nose.

Kids are idiots.

I put jelly beans/ Haribo up my nose to get a laugh out of my other half. She knows, and tells me every time, that one day she’s going to have to take me to A&E to get a jellybean removed from my nose…
    It’s not just kids! 😀

jimdubleyou

From my wife’s stories of kids at school (secondary), yes all children, especially teenagers are idiots. It was ever thus..

funkmasterp

Not in the same league, but this is a conversation I had with Funk Jr last night (he’s six and I write the best conversations down).

“Daddy can I tell you a secret and you promise not to get cross?”

“Yes sprocket”

“Today I waited until Miss Rose wasn’t looking and ate a big piece of play-doh”

“Okay, you’re not supposed to eat it. It’s not good for you and tastes yucky”

“No, it tasted wonderful and do you know? It was covered in sparkles”

“Promise me you won’t eat any more”

“Okay daddy”

gastromonkey
    Free Member

A couple of weeks ago I had the rare treat of being in the bus station at the end of the school day. Teenage boys are massive idiots. MrsG reminded me that I was exactly the same when I was that age.

I laughed and admitted she was right then went back to looking at bikes to play on in the woods. It’s a good job we have all grown up!

molgrips
    Free Member

he won’t be able to drive with bloods like that.

There was a girl on telly who was similarly not bothered about bloods and ended up going suddenly blind. She can’t drive either.

CountZero

And draw something embarrassing on the cast

Plenty of scope there! A large cock’n’balls, the names of various pop acts that he’s known to loath… 🤪

TiRed

Broke one hand hitting someone on the head. Three days later I broke the other when it was shut in a window. Took two weeks off after that and moped. We all have our moments. My best friend punched his bag and broke his hand on a book. It happens.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘My son is an idiot……’ is closed to new replies.