Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • My new road bike! Well, kind of…
  • psychle
    Free Member

I’m a little excited about this… 😀

IF Ti Factory Lightweight Custom Design by ten_sim, on Flickr

Kuco

It’s got no chain 😉

flip
    Free Member

That 530mm top tube should be 529mm, fact 🙄

And are you keeping them Campagnolo 10 speed levers, should be 11 speed shirley..

That would fit me great, are you 5′ 7″?

thepurist

They gonna build it with those transparent forks & seat stays? Cool!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Could just be that it’s a drawing, but it looks very ‘sit up and beg’.

iain1775
    Free Member

its got the wrong tyres for graph paper

psychle
    Free Member

That would fit me great, are you 5′ 7″?

5’8″ / 172cm with a 31″ in-seam

Could just be that it’s a drawing, but it looks very ‘sit up and beg’.

I did think that a bit myself, even on the size bike… but I am pretty inflexible so that might’ve been a factor in the eventual positioning?

lazybike
    Free Member

Thats gonna be comfy, very similar to my Defy.

tang
    Free Member

Going for a custom paint job?

psychle
    Free Member

keeping it raw ti, prefer it that way, nice and ‘understated’ 🙂

finbar
    Free Member

170mm headtube on a bike that small? Not built for speed then!

Still, you should be able to get it looking pretty pro with no spacers and a negative rise stem.

psychle
    Free Member

think the headtube will be reduced down a fair bit tbh… not sure why it’s ended up so long? 😕

yossarian
    Free Member

think the headtube will be reduced down a fair bit tbh… not sure why it’s ended up so long?

I’d perhaps mention that to them soon?

warton
    Free Member

the lack of spokes may prove to be a problem…

doof_doof
    Free Member

Is that really a 47mm rake fork?

aP
    Free Member

That seems very short and high. I’m the same height and leg entry as you and my road bikes are 565 top tube.
    Have you had a bike fitting done first?

psychle
    Free Member

Have you had a bike fitting done first?

Yep, with Mosquito on Friday of last week…

Current bike is a 54cm Sabbath Silk road with a 120mm stem, I’ve always found it a teensy bit too long, the measurement from saddle tip to end of stem on the Sabbath is 52cm…

The headset for this frame is integrated, so maybe that’s why the headtube looks a bit long?

atlaz
    Free Member

WTF do you do for work Psychle? Every month you come up with some new blingtastic bike.

GJP
    Free Member

Toe overlap? Very short wheelbase IMO, as AP says. short and tall.

EDIT

And splash out and buy yourself another bottle cage.

TiRed

Finest steel from IF, surely? They are only moonlighting with Ti? Seven or Merlin, sir? Add another cm or two to the head tube, if you are going to sit up and beg, might as well make it obvious that it’s a custom geometry.

Nice bike btw…

mboy
    Free Member

170mm headtube on a bike that small? Not built for speed then!

If you want a road bike built for speed, surely you go out and buy the latest TDF carbon race rep? Someone buying an Indy Fab is more likely to be buying a potential life long distance covering machine I would think?

That seems very short and high. I’m the same height and leg entry as you and my road bikes are 565 top tube.

Sheesh! I’m 2.5 inches taller, and I ride a bike with a 545mm TT and 100mm stem, and it feels spot on to me. Tried a bike with a 555mm TT, and 100mm stem, and I was only just able to ride it. Had a go on a bike with a 560mm TT with 120mm stem, literally was so long I couldn’t turn the thing round a corner! Horses for courses and all that, but a 565 TT for a bloke at 5ft 8 is a bit long IMO.

aP
    Free Member

2 different frame builders for 2 custom built road frames agreed. Ive been riding one of them since 1998 with no problems at all and the second one since 2005 as a lighter frame. But what would I know?
    All I was suggesting was that psychle (who I have ridden with) might have ordered what appears to be a rather short and tall frame and I was wondering who had generated the frame dimensions.
    I realise now that I was wrong and wait with baited breath to see this new bike when it arrives.

brakes
    Free Member

What’s the turnaround time?

rOcKeTdOg

that’d make a great “pootling about/touring” bike if it was steel and had braze ons for rak etc etc

psychle
    Free Member

So… do we think I should go back for a refit then? The position etc felt pretty good on the Sizefit bike, certainly felt much more comfortable than my current setup, actually felt OK going into the drops for instance…

If you want a road bike built for speed, surely you go out and buy the latest TDF carbon race rep

Thing is, this frame is IF’s ‘speed machine’… though, tbh, I’m ordering it quite a bit on looks (love the integrated seatpost and mix of ti/carbon), yes, I am a tart 😳

more likely to be buying a potential life long distance covering machine

I’m hoping to get back into a bit of road racing along with triathlon, this’ll be the bike for that. Have a nice De Rosa steel frame for longer days 🙂

Finest steel from IF, surely?

I’m getting a good deal on the frame direct from IF as a replacement for a damaged 2nd hand one I’m sending back to them, so I’m not paying RRP… would defo be going for steel if I was! Certainly wouldn’t be ordering a £4k frame, no way I can afford that!

Basically, the opportunity has been offered to get a custom IF at a rather good price, so that’s why I’m ordering, not because I’ve reached a point in my life where I know exactly what I want… kind of relying on the bike fitter to figure this out for me!

The Ti FLW is possibly the wrong bike to be going for, maybe a standard Ti Crown Jewel would be the better choice…

What’s the turnaround time?

Hoping it’ll be ready by April 27th, I happen to be in Boston then so planning to pick the frame up from the factory 🙂

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

I’d agree with some of the above there.

53cm horizontal does seem short especially with a 73 degree seat tube.

i’ve just ordered a custom Enigma steel and being 5’7″ with a 32.5″ inseam they’ve put me on a 54cm top tube with a 140mm headtube.

This sits well with me as i already ride a 545 on a 100mm stem.

Is it worth consulting a second builder for another opinion?

MrSmith
    Free Member

those bikes are certainly stiff. a friend is currently riding a snot green one for a mag review, needless to say it’s not being used for flanders or paris roubaix next month.

if you are buying from mosquito a pegorertti marcelo would have been a good compromise between race stiffness and comfort, or an IFab SSR

DenDennis
    Free Member

psychle- is that Mosquito’s drawing or IF’s?

duntstick
    Free Member

Yep, that definitely looks like a drawing of a bike, probably fits someone else’s dimensions perfectly, when do you get a test ride……………?

Metasequoia

How can people possibly say it’s tall, short, long or short- unless you know the exact dimensions of Psychie???? and you attended the bike fit session- or maybe you did- 🙂 It’s sort of the whole point of custom, it’s exactly your size, not the nearest one to you. (I’d love one, but would need to sell the house first).

duntstick
    Free Member

but if it looks purdy………………………… 🙄

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘My new road bike! Well, kind of…’ is closed to new replies.