• This topic has 50 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by cjr61.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • My ghetto tubeless inflator EXPLODED
  • failedengineer

A 2 litre PET bottle should hold 120psi. The picture appears to show that the neck area has gone – faulty preform, I’d say. I’m more worried about the cap blowing off than the bottle exploding. Mine is about 5 years old and still going strong. 1.5L bottles are stronger, FWIW. They are often blown from the same weight preform as the 2L. However, you don’t see many in the UK. As long as you use a bottle which contained a carbonated product you should be fine up to 100psi.

jamesoz

Really you want your tank to be capable of withstanding 1.5 times it’s operating pressure.

asbrooks

100 plus psi.! 😮 I never have gone beyond 50.

Mmmm 3L bottle, local off license here I come.

salad_dodger

Anyone else disappointed that this hasn’t turned out to be the 2021 version of the infamous Badger thread?

ratherbeintobago

I thought the advice was to wrap ghetto inflators in an old jeans leg or similar?

Mind you, I overinflated my daughter’s netball which let go some time later with an almighty bang, and blew out the side of her kitbag…

simono5

Little lockdown project. From this;

To this;

Total cost was £13 plus an old innertube and took about 30 mins.

The extinguisher is tested to about 370psi and pressurised with powder to around 270psi (if memory serves correctly). So tubeless at 180psi or below shouldn’t be a problem IMO.

Extinguisher here;
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/firechief-dry-powder-vehicle-fire-extinguisher-600g/91740?_requestid=726409

Works better than my tubeless pump to be honest. Mainly as it stores more air.

squirrelking
    Free Member

The extinguisher is tested to about 370psi and pressurised with powder to around 270psi (if memory serves correctly). So tubeless at 180psi or below shouldn’t be a problem IMO.

Except you’ve just drilled a randomly sized hole in a random place on the pressure vessel so those ratings now count for sod all. It’s probably fine but I wouldn’t rely on those figures for anything now.

I have a big (5l?) CO2 bottle, I used the test port to fit a schraeder valve for filling and converted the horn connection to accept a quick release schraeder head. No drilling required, just a lot of converter pieces!

jamesoz

Why drill it? Pull the handle or put a band around it and you can fill it via the outlet. Just needs a T and a isolate valve. But yes way better than a pop bottle.

nickjb
    Free Member

No need to buy a new extinguisher. Plenty of used ones out there if you look around. There’s always a big pile at the dump if you can sneak one out.

avdave2

As well as the exploding fire extinguisher in the dustcart this has brought back memories of the compressed air launcher  we had at the MOD. Basically a huge tank pressurised to some ridiculous level with a steel diaphragm with a small explosive charge in the middle of it. Blow that and the air launched what ever item we were testing down the test track at incredible speed. I hated being in the control room for that, I think everyone did. Watching all these dials and pipework while the whole thing charged up making horrible noises. Always felt like being in Das Boot, sinking to the bottom just waiting for imminent death! 😬

cjr61

Not as pretty as @bigblackshed Frankenflater but does the job:

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘My ghetto tubeless inflator EXPLODED’ is closed to new replies.