Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • My fitness pal???
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

“Starvation” mode will never catch up with a calorie deficit though. If that were to happen nobody would ever die of starvation.

GrahamS

“Starvation” mode will never catch up with a calorie deficit though.

Course not – otherwise we could survive on zero calories and various laws of physics would be violated. 🙂

However the theory is that it can slow/damage your metabolism and actually make it harder to lose weight/fat and keep it off.

Hence why the on/off fasting technique seems to work better – reduced calories but your body doesn’t try to compensate.

glupton1976
    Free Member

However the theory is that it can slow/damage your metabolism and actually make it harder to lose weight/fat and keep it off.

Yes, it can slow your metabolism a wee bit – why would that be a bad thing? Eating lots of pies and being overweight can damge more than your metabolism.

On/off fasting technique – we all do that every day – it’s what happens when we go to sleep at night.

This whole dieting thing is not at all complex – apart from one massive bit. That massive bit is people’s idea that it is complex and looking for ways of eating lots but still losing weight. Think about it – stuffing your face and losing weight – that’s just daft.

zilog6128

But glupton – fat only comes after carbs. You probably already know (but for the benefit of the audience) carbs get burned first in endurance cycling, then fat whilst trying to avoid muscle metabolism.

You need to carry enough carbs, then some fat reserves, but not so much fat it weights you dowm. And “good” fat too, not chip fat.To me this sounds like you don’t really know what you’re talking about. Oh and it’s catabolism by the way.

Sandwich

If you link MFP with Endomondo the calories from Endomondo transfer across for your exercise direct from the Garmin (other fitness trackers too). This avoids the dodgy MFP estimates for exercise as I discovered the first time I used it.

Ton are you normally very active for your job (builder or similar)? My sedentary job suggests that 1600 calories is all that is required for maintaining weight loss on MFP. 1900 appears a bit high before exercise even though you’re a bit bigger than me (height not weight).

stevewhyte
    Free Member

If our Base metabolic rate is only 1600 then you must be very lights and do bugger all during the day. Mine is 2500, and i have dropped down to 1500 a day, give me approximatly 2 lbs a week loss.

Are you under 10 stone?

GrahamS

Yes, it can slow your metabolism a wee bit – why would that be a bad thing?

Because a slower metabolism makes weightloss and keeping the weight off much harder than it has to be?

On/off fasting technique – we all do that every day – it’s what happens when we go to sleep at night.

I meant “intermittent fasting” which got popular after the Horizon programme last year:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

This whole dieting thing is not at all complex

I’m happy to stick to “calories in < calories out” – that’s simple and working well for me.

1900 appears a bit high before exercise even though you’re a bit bigger than me (height not weight).

My MFP target is 1880kcals so not far off ton – and that fits with various other online BMR and TDEE estimates.

(I’m male, 37yo, 188cm, 87kg)

Kryton57

To me this sounds like you don’t really know what you’re talking about

Maybe you should have a chat with Matt Fitzgerald, he wrote it.

And if you want to be pedantic, read all of my posts and kindly acknowledge that I was quite open about my level of knowledge on the subject.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Jesus wept.

Kryton57

glupton1976 – Member
    Jesus wept.

What?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Not aimed at you Kryton57. There are just a lot of posts being written by a lot of folk who clearly dont have a clue what they’re talking about.

GrahamS

There are just a lot of posts being written by a lot of folk who clearly dont have a clue what they’re talking about.

I did openly state that I’m “Not a nurtionalologist” and “I’m not qualified to comment.”

I’m just presenting my understanding of the arguments from what I’ve read and stating what has worked well for me.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

glupton1976 – Member
    There are just a lot of posts being written by a lot of folk who clearly dont have a clue what they’re talking about.

We all so lucky we have an expert like you to keep us right then.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I’m not a nutritionist, but I spend a hell of a lot of my working life advising people how to lose weight and doing other related health promotion activities.

zilog6128

Maybe you should have a chat with Matt Fitzgerald, he wrote it.

You need to remember that Matt’s book is aimed squarely at professional and serious recreational athletes who are training for racing. It is also based on eating a high protein/high carb diet. Neither of which describes Ton at all.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I don’t think black pudding is as unhealthy as the other ingredients in a typical fry up.

Kryton57

You need to remember that Matt’s book is aimed squarely at professional and serious recreational athletes who are training for racing. It is also based on eating a high protein/high carb diet. Neither of which describes Ton at all.

Which I know, and alluded and quoted the book name / my thread based on it early in the thread, AND I clearly stated I wasn’t taking into account Ton’s circumstances.

TBH I don’t know what your problem with me is. its starting to feel personal mate, either read the content before having a pop at me or kindly done comment, it’ll be a much nicer place for it, thankyou, and have a great weekend. 🙂

zilog6128

Sorry Kryton, didn’t mean to cause offence. Looking back on my earlier comment it was a bit harsh so I apologise for that. FWIW I’ve largely agreed with your posts in other threads on this subject! Don’t have a problem with you (or anyone) at all so sorry again. I mainly use this forum to learn and try to help others in turn, it’s not always the clearest method of communication though, definitely no personal offence intended.

Kryton57

Accepted, *shakes virtual hand* 🙂

Kryton57

(How very un-STW) 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘My fitness pal???’ is closed to new replies.