Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • My fitness pal???
  • zilog6128

well, that wasn’t all I ate, but I had that for breakfast every day!

Kryton57

Isn’t that the equivelent of the Atkins diet, proven time and again to be one of the most unhealthy things you can do?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    Isn’t that the equivelent of the Atkins diet, proven time and again to be one of the most unhealthy things you can do?

I think you will find that’s not the case.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Well said Steve.

Also nothing wrong with bacon and eggs, toms and mushrooms. Black pudding fine in moderation, and I find beef sausages to keep the fat side in check. Although I find people (not suggesting the people here) to be scared of fat due to the insistence that low fat diets are good.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So is that where mfp falls down a bit? It only really knows the calorific and fat content of branded food?.

jota180
    Free Member

So is that where mfp falls down a bit? It only really knows the calorific and fat content of branded food?.

Not quite, data for most ingredients/food is available and used in MFP – eg 100g of lean steak has n calories and x fat, it’s never going to be bang though but just as accurate as any other data out there can be when using variable raw ingredients

GrahamS

It has fields for calories, fat, protein, carbs, sugars, salt, fibre, fat breakdown, vitamin A and C plus calcium and Iron – BUT most foods will not have all of them filled in. Depends on the person that entered them. Pretty much everything has the basics though (calories + macros).

When I add new branded foods I put in everything that’s on the standard UK nutritional label, but that doesn’t give you Vitamins or fat breakdown.

ton

just put my evening meal in.
    homemade chille con carne, made with lean mince which is drained after cooking, 2 chille’s, 2 onions, 1 can red beans, 1 can chickpeas, served on grated cauliflower.

i have 1000 calories left after entering it into mfp, however my fat intake is 18 over and my protein is 42 over.

i dont like mfp.

it is telling me that i will weigh 16stone 8lbs in 5 week if i keep eating like i am.

jota180
    Free Member

it is telling me that i will weigh 16stone 8lbs in 5 week if i keep eating like i am.

Just forget about all that stuff and use it as a rather good food diary

ton

jota……i have cos it is obviously talking boolax 😆

Solo
    Free Member

most of this thread is B/S.
    😆

Night, night.
    😉

Kryton57

Solo – Member
    most of this thread is B/S.

Bacon and Sausages, yes that’s the problem.

FieldMarshall

FWIW I’m with Ton on this one.

If i ate all the carbs that others are suggesting, ie wholemeal bread, bagel etc I’d be 2 stone heavier, tired and have no energy.

Feel much more alert and energised on higher protein diet. Plus my cholesterol and risk of diabetes have dropped significantly since i cut out the carbs.

Guess we are all different.

I found MFP useful to spot high calorific snacks, but i found the weight loss estimates to be very inaccurate and highly variable from day to day.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Carbs…… Did you read the thread ?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Ton – how can you possibly have 1000 kcal left after entering that?

duirdh
    Free Member

coz he iz giant init?

ton

george, my target is 1900, 80 mins cycling gives me a extra 1088
    so 2988 to use.
    the breakfast i had was 440
    the breakfast for lunch was 713
    my dinner was 774

total 1927 calories.

grum
    Free Member

I don’t worry about the daily fat recommendations etc TBH, but I find MFP really useful. Lost quite a bit of weight without starving myself or eating excessively healthily. Just mostly homemade meals with lots of veg.

I also reckon the exercise calories it gives are massively optimistic.

Cheezpleez

The most important thing for long-term weight loss is finding a healthy diet you can live with for the rest of your life. The best thing you can do for this – and for your all-round health – is to get used to eating loads of vegetables. I mean *loads*. And cutting down on fat and sugar.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Ton – I think I can see the problem there. 80 minutes cycling at what I assume would be a fairly easy to moderate pace would come nowhere near 1088kcal – maybe 500-700 kcal at the very most.

Here’s a suggestion, do with it as you please. How about forgetting about all the mumbo jumbo fancy diet crap that it looks like you’re starting to struggle with a wee bit and just go for a balanced diet that contains all the nutrients and fuel sources that your body needs. Set yourself a calorie goal that doesnt have added extra bonus calories for exercise (to eliminate the huge potential for error through energy use miscalculation) which will let you lose or maintain your weight – I dunno – say 1800kcal/day.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Glumpton, you dont know that. Its hard to tell at the best of times becaue the energy you use is dependant on speed, aero, terrain etc.

I think Ton still weight a fair bit (forgive if i am wrong) So he will use a shed load of energy on a hilly course.

I wouldnt be surprised if he uses close to 1000 cal.

glupton1976
    Free Member

stevewhyte – I wouldnt use that by absolutely burying myself for 80 minutes.

Kryton57

Mfp is about 300 cals OVER estimating according to my Garmin with HRM.

I do pretty much what Glupton says ie yesterday I was an estimated 1112 calories under my goal due to a ride. I ate over my prescribed calories (2300) at 2450, but was full and not hungry.

Don’t feel the need to stuff yourself just becuase of what MFP says – listen to your body.

GrahamS

I also reckon the exercise calories it gives are massively optimistic.

Yeah I agree – I tend to take around a third off what either MFP or Endomondo think I have burnt. (Endo gives me 800kcals for my 11 mile fairly flat commute!)

They are working from a very broad estimate and only have time, distance and your weight to work it out from. Heart rate helps get a better estimate – either via heart rate monitor or just taking your pulse at some “average” point during the ride and using that (various online calculators available).

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve started trying to use MFP again since starting keto to make sure I’m eating enough fat but I just find it tedious and makes me feel like I’m obsessing about it again. Guess it works for some people but now I know the rough amount of what I can/can’t eat I don’t think I’m gonna bother with it. Lost 11 stone without it and just having the rough estimates of calories in my head, so I think I can go without!

jota180
    Free Member

I only use MFP as a food diary, the other stuff is just too inconsistent to bother about, it’s almost impossible to get an accurate calories burned figure on any of the devices/apps etc. Well, one of them may be accurate but you’ve no way of knowing which.

Yesterday’s run data from my Garmin

The same run entered into MFP

qtip

the other day, i hate poached eggs, veg soup and tinned mackeral”

I imagine the increase in calories on that day was because you hated those things so much that you ate pie instead.

JimBowen
    Free Member

I’m reading through this thread with interest as since the start of jan i’ve been using MFP to lose weight. I have been quite strict on the calorie intake and only been over a handful of times. I generally run 4 times a week and cycle 1-2 times. I have lost 6 pounds which i was quite gutted about as i wanted to lose a stone. but the biggest thing for me is that i have lost alot of fat and some of my clothes are too big now so it goes to show you can turn fat into muscle but not lose too much weight. I know feel quicker on the runs, better up hill on the bike and feel i look better after shedding the fat. Losing weight and keeping in shape is a lifestyle choice which is a combination of eating well and exercising frequently. The only problem is that if you exercise alot you need fuel so this is where the healhty eating comes in.

Kryton57

The only problem is that if you exercise alot you need fuel so this is where the healhty eating comes in.

He summed it up better than we did.

glupton1976
    Free Member

The only problem is that if you exercise alot you need fuel so this is where the healhty eating comes in.

Fat is a pretty good fuel – so that’s where the calorie deficit comes in.

Kryton57

But glupton – fat only comes after carbs. You probably already know (but for the benefit of the audience) carbs get burned first in endurance cycling, then fat whilst trying to avoid muscle metabolism.

You need to carry enough carbs, then some fat reserves, but not so much fat it weights you dowm. And “good” fat too, not chip fat.

ton

to burn fat, eat fat,
    i am gonna get a t shirt printed with that on it.

back on the boring good stuff today.
    1 slice of flax bread, 2 poached eggs
    veg soup for lunch
    chicken salad for tea

not much more than 1400 cals today.

Kryton57

IMO opinion ton, and I’m not a qualified professional of any sort, 1400 cals is too little and not healthy for a grown man.

But then, who am I to say.

glupton1976
    Free Member

You say that as if there is no way for the body to turn protein into carbohydrate.

How is 1400kcal not a healthy amount to eat? If there was no other source of fuel available to the body other than food intake on a given day then I’d probably agree with you. BUT and it’s a VERY BIG BUT, there is another source of fuel and that’s the fat reserves that are stored all over the body. The exact fat reserves that you’re trying to use up.

Say you had a whole load of innertubes that you were trying to use up, you wouldn’t keep buying replacement innertubes every time you got a puncture would you?

Kryton57

Say you had a whole load of innertubes that you were trying to use up, you wouldn’t keep buying replacement innertubes every time you got a puncture would you?

You wouldn’t buy half a patch either.

But I don’t know the answer – as I mentioned I’m not an expert. But for an average requirement of 2500 as well known and none of ton’s circumstances taken into account, losing 1100 calories sounds a lot of a deficit thats all.

I’m happy to be corrected, it just sounds a lot to leave to remain healthy, and have energy to ride.

glupton1976
    Free Member

You wouldn’t buy half a patch either.

Why buy patches when you have a cupboard full of innertubes?

As long as the diet is providing all the necessary vitamins, minerals and nutrients that the body needs – why eat anything over and above that?

The only reason that I can see for eating over and above the minimum that the body needs is simply because you like eating. A bit like buying bike parts when you have perfectly working bikes – look at the shiney shiney…

Kryton57

The only reason that I can see for eating over and above the minimum that the body needs is simply because you like eating. A bit like buying bike parts when you have perfectly working bikes – look at the shiney shiney…

The “generic” requirment is 2500 though Glupton. But I appreciate your comment re Ton’s potential “reserves…”

I’m moving on now…. 🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

That generic requirement is to enable someone of generic height, generic build, generic BMR and generic activity level to maintain their current weight. Want to lose weight – eat less.

GrahamS

How is 1400kcal not a healthy amount to eat?

Not a nurtionalologist but MFP recommend against eating too low and will actually warn you if you regularly log less than a certain amount.

The theory goes that when you get below a certain level your body assumes that food is getting scarce and reacts by slowing your metabolism and increasing fat storage.

Which leads to plateauing and means that when you return to “normal” calorie intake your weight will yoyo.

That’s the theory anyway.

It is (misleadingly) referred to as “starvation mode” and it is HOTLY debated on the MFP forums.

I’m not qualified to comment. All I know is that sticking to the MFP recommendation (which is ~500kcal below TDEE) has worked well for me and hasn’t felt that difficult, so I’ll keep doing it.

grum
    Free Member

ton IMO the crux of the problem is that you see eating good stuff as boring. Really doesn’t have to be.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘My fitness pal???’ is closed to new replies.