Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • My first what tyre thread!
  • tonyd

Got a gravel bike three weeks ago, put a few hundred varied miles on it so far and have enjoyed it. Hadn’t got round to changing it to tubeless yet. Rode the Salisbury Plain Epic gravel ride thing at the weekend, nice route, great ride, one flat. Just started tubeless conversion and discovered a sizeable tear in the sidewall of the front tyre. Bummer. Two questions…

1. What do you carry to fix a torn tyre? Tube or big rubber patch of some kind? I have plugs but never expected a full on tear.
    2. What tyres are folks using? I originally intended to use this for mostly road rides (it’s replaced my road bike) with perhaps 25% bridleways and fire roads, but the weekends ride has opened my eyes somewhat so I might go 50/50. Sounds like moon on a stick – fast rolling on road, grippy off road, tough.

Ta!

scotroutes

Tube and tyre boot.

Nanos.

13thfloormonk

fast rolling on road, grippy off road, tough

Vittoria Terreno Dry for me, will obviously eventually let go on steep muddy climbs, and I got a wee fright heavy front braking on steep wet grass, but otherwise just a great all rounder, will use it right through winter for everything but full on CX conditions.

ampthill

Terrano dry here too at the moment

Great tyres but last winter I did eventually give up go to Terravail Rutland for better grip in the slop

These were 650b 47mm

hardtailonly

WTB Resolute are pretty good as an all-rounder, not great in proper mud.

WTB Nano are better in the muck, still a very good all-rounder.

I had the Vittora Tereno Wet last winter, great in the mud, a bit slower rolling than the other 2 above and wears quite quickly. Mate has the Tereno mix, and rates those.

I’ve had the Hutchinson Tourag for the last year or so (apart from over winter), they’re OK but don’t really stand out anywhere. I’d hoped they would be a fast dry tyre but they’re not any faster rolling than the WTBs I’ve tried.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.