Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • My first marathon – Done!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Mooly
    Free Member

So finally completed my first marathon at the weekend in Brighton.
    Had the most perfect day for it, cool to start with the sum coming through later.
    Target time was 4 hrs and managed to complete it in 3.58.08. Spot on pacing I say.
    Result

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Nice one, quality effort!

mogrim

Mine’s in two weeks, Madrid.

karnali
    Free Member

nice one, i’ve done one and swore i would not do another, doing another this summer

wwaswas

well done 🙂

Was a great crowd down there as usual. My wife also ran it and ended up with sunburn…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

My first one is in 7 weeks, Stockholm.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice one. I’ve decided not to do one.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

You don’t work with me do you – colleague did Brighton at the w/e in 4hrs….?

Mooly
    Free Member

I don`t think so I live in Exeter.
    Good luck to all those with races coming up.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Well done.

Do I take it from the use of the word “first” in the title that you’ll be back for more? They do have a habit of getting under your skin, Brighton 2010 was my first and it’s been one a year since then. (Although this year’s “long run” is slightly shorter at 24).

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Well played

I saw the weather forecast and thought of you poor souls doing Brighton.

Guess it wasn’t sooo bad (not too hot or windy) or maybe is was and your time is double well done ??

irelanst
    Free Member

Well done and very well judged,

Mines in October and the training is going OK so far, based purely on the fact that my legs seem to ache all the time.

Duggan

Well played Mooly. I’m doing Edinburgh at the end of May (first one) and will be very happy if I get a time similar to yours. Aiming for anything sub-4hrs.

How did your training go? Did you have many (if at all) injuries to overcome?

I ran 16miles on Saturday and can feel a twinge in my right knee now but hoping it’s just a small niggle rather than a proper strain.

leffeboy

Hugely well done. I’ve never had the willpower to go through all those hours of training never mind actually do the run.

surfer
    Free Member

That reminds me of my favourite “saying” by Juma Ikaanga

“the will to win is nothing without the will to prepare”

Mooly
    Free Member

Duggan – training went well with the longest run of 19 miles but shortly after came down with bronchitis.(4 weeks before)
    Would have gone up to 22/23 but missed these out last long run was 15 miles two weekends before.
    It was hard from mile 22 on but didn`t walk a single step.
    Seriously good luck – training is tough but I noticed a lot of improvement throughout my training and certainly wouldn’t have been able to have done the marathon without it.

stever
    Free Member

Nicely judged. I’ve an ultra soon and quietly weeping at a) pathetic number of long runs and b) the snail’s pace at which the recent 18 and 20 have been done. I can only hope for some magic raceday lift 🙂

Mooly
    Free Member

When’s that stever?

Duggan

Cheers Mooly, that was bad luck with the bronchitis.

I’ve been following a plan and mostly sticking to it though I’m two weeks behind due to illness and a strain. The long runs in the plan are dictated by time only (2hrs, 2hrs 10mins, 2hrs 30 etc up to 3hrs I think) but I’m hoping as long as I have done a 20mile run before the big day then I should be alright.

Mooly
    Free Member

Sound like you’ll be fine. I would think that almost every one misses a few weeks of training due to injury or illness.
    All the best.

stever
    Free Member

Mine’s May 11. Tick, tock!
    Ultra sounds fancy, it’s only marathon plus a bit (33 miles)

leffeboy

Where do people get their training plans from? Books, web, personal trainers?

surfer
    Free Member

All of those leffboy. Also get down to your local athletics club. As well as advice and guidance from a qualified coach you will get people to train with which is one of the biggest steps to improvement.

stever
    Free Member

I get mine from working out when I have a bit of spare time, working out how far I can run in that time, then doing a bit more but not enough to get a serious b***ocking.

bigyim
    Free Member

well done Mooly, sounds like the time im aiming for in London next weekend. I think it maybe more like 5 though!! had a few training hiccups

leffeboy

. Also get down to your local athletics club.

Thanks surfer. I think there may actually be something local that is worth hunting out.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘My first marathon – Done!!!!!!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.