• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Esme.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • My first fat bike :-)
  • thesquaredog
    Free Member

Most of my riding is in the local loamy woods – a few steep trails, plenty of roots and the odd rocky section for good measure but nothing too technical. Normally ride these on a 140mm modern trail bike but haven’t been enjoying them as much in the recent wet and muddy conditions, even with a 2.5 inch Maxxis Shorty up front.

So, thought I would try a fat bike! Decided to go for something second hand to start with and picked up a nice On One Fatty just over a week ago.

Only done about three hours on it so far but have to say I am absolutely blown away by it 🙂 Really enjoying the fully rigid feeling and spending far more time pedaling out of the saddle. Can’t say I am particularly missing the suspension, just having to take it a bit slower over bigger obstacles. The flip side is the way the monster truck tyres soak up the small bumps, they just keep rolling and it’s a lovely feeling just smoothly flowing through the woods.

Also love the way the bike corners and have been hitting muddy sections with more confidence as the bike seems to just drift instead of suddenly wanting to let go.

Think this is going to be my default bike until summer and kicking myself now for not getting a fat bike sooner.

Anyone else loving their fat bike in the woods in winter? Anyone tried it but didn’t like it?

Already thinking of saving up for an Ice Cream Truck 🙂

drewbear
    Free Member

Glad your enjoying it. Fat bike it is great for keeping fit and generally having fun. Ride mine all year round as I live near the beach but it’s been to all my trails as well always good to keep mixing it up. And it’s saves your suspension o you trail bike.

trumpton
    Free Member

glad you have found a great bike for the conditions. just keep the on one. cannot see the point of swapping like for like.

takisawa2

On the other hand, as good as they are, my lads On-One doesn’t ride as nice as my Puffin. Hence he’s always pinching it.

kayak23

Yeah love my Dune. It’s my go to xc bike.

Ridden it a few times on harder trails and it only slows me down a little. Mad fun being pinballed down descents 😀

tjagain

I have to say I love mine ( salsa beargrease). Its my only mtb at the moment. Smiles per mile is what its all abut

Its hard work riding too many miles tho and into headwinds

LAT

spending far more time pedaling out of the saddle

I love the feeling of all the traction when climbing out of the saddle on a fat bike.

whitestone
    Free Member

I love the feeling of all the traction when climbing out of the saddle on a fat bike.

Last night I had surprisingly little traction on steep frost covered roads both up and down! The “enforced dismount” was surprisingly slow and predictable – simply hopped off the bike and ran into the verge!

Maybe should have dropped the tyre pressure a little.

Esme
    Free Member

Yes, I don’t really know about sand or actual snow, but my Hellga loves the “brown snow” in our local woods.

(I can’t think why Specialized didn’t call it a FatGirl . . . )

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘My first fat bike :-)’ is closed to new replies.