Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • FFS!! – My employer requires proof I’m not an Illegal Immigrant!
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

….Despite the fact I’ve worked for them for nearly 8 years!

Apparently it’s a new-ish legislation (Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006) and to proove I’m not illegal they want ‘an excellant quality’ photocopy or scan of my passport.
    Or a combination of other documnets such as P45, P60, Birth Certificate or National Insurance Card.

Now, I’m not usually one for being bothered about private info being stored, but forgive me, I don’t really want copies of my Passport hanging about, and I’m not keen on copying my Birth Certificate either.

What’s this about? Can I avoid it? Should I tell them to poke it? Is it all OK?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

But you are an illegal immigrant…

…you’re from Nottinghamshire.

juan
    Free Member

I second that you even have a weird accent.
    You say me bike and jooouuumps…
    Mind you compare to rudeboy’s your accent is very neutral 😉

doc_blues
    Free Member

had this when I started a new contract last year – despite having worked for them for 5 years, them having a copy of my passport, they still ‘needed’ a copy of it (despite it being the same passport they alread had a copy of) – I pointed out to the numpty that it was very unlikely that I had had my passport/british citizenship revoked since I was born in the UK, and if I had I would be more likely be ‘holidaying’ in Cuba or some other hot clime wearing orange overalls – didnt hear back from them and I am still here

BoardinBob

Isn’t this old news ?)

I had to provide this proof to my employer about 2 years ago

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh FFS! Stick to the plot you two fools! (Juan & RB)

STW is usually the right place for ‘big brother is watching you’ type shenannigans!

I must say I’m sorely tempted to tell them to shove it.

juan
    Free Member

I must say I’m sorely tempted to tell them to shove it.

What your accent 😉

johni
    Free Member

We have to show proof and the company register that they have seen it. They don’t actually need a copy though?

clubber
    Free Member

It’s not really about getting your proof but really driven by anti-discrimination – if they decided not to ask you because you’re white (and have a funny accent) but asked the guy with darker skin ‘because he might be an immigrant’ they’d be up for all sorts of trouble. Same in fact if they asked the white guy with the Polish sounding name and accent but not you…

We had to do the same recently FWIW.

robdob
    Free Member

I’ve just had to send off my original passport, birth certificate, utility bills copies of certificates etc etc for my new job.
    Never been so nervous sending an envelope.

It’s normal practise now, probably need to do it in construction more than some other trades.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So I don’t need to worry about them copying my docs then?

(I still don’t like the idea)

stratobiker
    Free Member

It’s ‘cos you’ve been pretending to be deaf innit! 🙂

gonefishin
    Free Member

My company did this last year and I wasted as much time as I possibly could and presented my documents on the final day. From what I remember though it isn’t actually a legal requirement for them to have this information it’s just that these are the documents that the immigration service will accept as proof that you are not working illegally. Quite frankly it beggars belief that they need a copy of your NI card when they have the number and print it evey month on your pay slip.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rob, I hope you didn’t just stick a stamp on it! 😯
    (I’m assuming Special Delivery at least!)

Do you have a start date yet?

robdob
    Free Member

Can’t really do much dodgy stuff with a copy of a passport anyway, can you???

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

From what I remember though it isn’t actually a legal requirement for them to have this information

That’s what I was thinking…..

robdob
    Free Member

No start date yet, have to get references and CRB check completed. Which just cost me £20. 🙁

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Dunno. That’s really what I need to know, I think

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think you should show the documents but refuse to have them copied

robdob
    Free Member

isn’t actually a legal requirement

Yeah but it’s hardly an unusual request. You guys are so awkward!!

robdob
    Free Member

I’ve had my passport copied about 10 times in the last year for all the jobs I’ve applied for. Not worried. No one looks like my photo anyway, having a head this size is hardly commonplace. 😀

robdob
    Free Member

Maybe they want to put you under surveillance as they have noticed a lot of cake going missing recently.

BigDummy
    Free Member

They commit a criminal offence if they employ someone who does not have a right to work in the UK. They can get off the hook (even if you were in fact an illegal) if they can demonstrate that they have seen evidence of your right to work, and checked it at appropriate intervals.

willard

been thre done that.

It’s bollox mind

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

They can get off the hook (even if you were in fact an illegal) if they can demonstrate that they have seen evidence of your right to work

but contriwise, if you demonstrate that you ARE a citizen then no prosecution for this could take place.

and checked it at appropriate intervals.

in case you accidentally become un-British ?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Maybe they want to put you under surveillance as they have noticed a lot of cake going missing recently.

LOL!

robdob
    Free Member

If the passport is found to be false at a later date the person may be up diarrehea drive without a saddle but the employer can defend themselves saying that they did the checks they had to and as far as they knew the passport was genuine (which the scan can prove). If there is no copy it’s just heresay.

Why the problem SFB?

kaya
    Free Member

robdob – Member

No wonder ID fraud is so easy,

robdob
    Free Member

Or maybe excessive electricity, flour and icing sugar consumption in your division. They suspect you are running an illegal cake smuggling business using your current job as a “front”.

Might explain why you were pushing so much cake around at the weekend PP? Was it a shipment you had to “dispose of” as you knew they were onto you?

It’s the only explanation for having 3 family sized cakes in your car for just a weekend.

robdob
    Free Member

Kaya, what do you mean?
    Ok, I’ll give you a copy of my passport. Do your worst! Won’t get you anywhere.

Anna-B
    Free Member

I’m just opening a community bank account, and had to take my passport and someone else’s into Barclays. The other one is a new one and has all the UV light visible markings. Mine is 7 years old and doesn’t. It was held under the UV light and as there weren’t as many pretty patterns as the other one, she asked me if I had any more ID! There are some UV light visible markings on mine.

A bit OT I know, but I was stunned. I don’t even look like a passport forger! I just had the authenticity of my passport doubted 🙁 What do I have left?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

SFB – I like your simple logic.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

He does like his cake, Poddy, it has to be said…

robdob
    Free Member

I think you confuse simple logic with just being simple. 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

It’s not really about getting your proof but really driven by anti-discrimination – if they decided not to ask you because you’re white (and have a funny accent) but asked the guy with darker skin ‘because he might be an immigrant’ they’d be up for all sorts of trouble. Same in fact if they asked the white guy with the Polish sounding name and accent but not you…

Clubbers hit the nail bang on the head, the look I get from British people when I ask for proof of their right to work in the UK is somewhat puzzeled at times, I’ve even had people walk out in a hissy fit.

robdob
    Free Member

Annabanana, what does a passport forger look like?

(waits for someone to post pic as he’s on his phone) 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

They commit a criminal offence if they employ someone who does not have a right to work in the UK. They can get off the hook (even if you were in fact an illegal) if they can demonstrate that they have seen evidence of your right to work, and checked it at appropriate intervals.

Correct and an on the spot fine of £5000 per illegal worker is handed out to the employer.

Having your passport / birth certificate photocopied is no big problem surely?

firestarter
    Free Member

sorry to jump in here . rudeboy could you bob me an email please. many thanks all 😉

Anna-B
    Free Member

Robdob not like me! OK was being tongue in cheek cos I know the real answer is anyone, but you know what I mean. If indeed anyone ever knows what I mean…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He does like his cake, Poddy, it has to be said…

It’s starting again, isn’t it? Roll up, Roll up! Have a go at Poddy half-hour! Look what you could have won!

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘FFS!! – My employer requires proof I’m not an Illegal Immigrant!’ is closed to new replies.