Viewing 40 posts - 6,801 through 6,840 (of 6,928 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • dazh

This match has turned faster than a game of football. Bonkers!

joelowden

Great bonkers 😁

dantsw13

In true STW fashion I’m in a hot tub in Morzine listening to tms 😎

Klunk
    Free Member

Woakes is doing too much for tail enders, would have missed that with 2 bats 🙂

ads678

COME ON ENGLAND!

joelowden

Lovely 😁

Drac

Didn’t drop it this time.

dazh

Broad in to clean up would be some ending to the series and a career. Surely not?

dazh

Awesome!

fazzini

Awesome!

If Broad gets this I may get quite emotional

joelowden

Great win

Klunk
    Free Member

we want a decider! 😉

fazzini

I really should stop dusting…

Drac

Superb finish!

ads678

YES!!

Get in Broady!

pk13

Well looking back that was an epic test with some fantastic solo efforts on both sides.

There are some holes to fill for england and Australia both losing some great players. England edge the moral win for me even though the ashes go back to Australia.

Both TMS and sky did a good job tbf especially TMS dropping the c bomb during an interview .

England need 2 good spinners now Ali won’t tour I assume.

theotherjonv

Mo said that’s it for him – he’s been much undervalued at times, a real team man batting wherever he’s told, taking wickets at a good strike rate (his 4th innings s/r better than Warne) but lacking a bit of control at times. But you win games by taking wickets….. and Stokes has recognised that and trusted him even when runs were leaking a bit. Even today; would have been easy to go to the new ball and hope Broad, Woakes and Woods would wrap it up but he trusted Mo and he delivered.

There’s some gaps to fill for sure, but nothing fills gaps better than necessity. I was impressed what i saw of Tongue, Robinson has more to offer, and there’s a few others to look at. Leach coming back for Mo is obvious, I’m half wondering if Stokes is serious about learning off-spin…. there’s not a lot he can’t do, has got a good action and massive hands so why not?

I defended at the time, but for me Lords bouncer-time was the only time they really got Bazball wrong. The positive intent and scoring at 5+ an over nearly set up the OT game where only weather rescued the Aussies, and without the positive intent this time they’d have not got close here either. Easier, granted, when you’re 2-1 down in the final game with nothing to lose but 283 in 55 overs was a far better score than 350 in 80 as that created the opportunity. They’ve found a brilliant balance of intent and execution and will only get better in that, knowing when to press the loud pedal and knowing when to just ease back while still looking to carry the game to the opposition. And so for the last time this series

WERE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Incredible. Test match cricket truly is something else.

kennyp
    Free Member

Fantastic finish to a truly memorable match and series. Test cricket shown to be the best format for the game. Congratulations to both sides but particularly England (and that from a Scotsman) for the way they played. Only downside was that it’s disgraceful that series wan’t shown on the BBC.

convert

Only downside was that it’s disgraceful that series wan’t shown on the BBC.

Well is kind of was. TMS on the radio during the day whilst I live my life then an hour highlights on iplayer is my perfect way to consume test match cricket.

But agreed, it’s been a great series.

Now to the hundred………I’m not sure there is a cricket competition, domestic or international anywhere in the world, that I could give less of a shit about. The local club cricket league is more meaningful – and considering I life in Scotland that’s saying something.

dazh

WERE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!

With a bit more intelligence that series could easily have been a whitewash. Apart from the odd bowling performance the Aussies were pretty average. Not that I’d change it though, I guess as Stokes says you have to risk losing to win in the way they did later in the series. I remain convinced though that had they not declared on day one they’d now have the urn. The real test however will come in Australia, can the aggressive batting approach survive a fast bowling attack at the Gabba or the MCG? We’ll have to wait a while to find out.

convert

What I don’t understand is……..Woakes is considered to be a UK conditions bowler who does not travel well. Broad (and Andrerson) are not pigeonholed like that. Watching Woakes and Broad yesterday, I’m not seeing why. What is it that Broad can could do that Woakes can’t? I was big on Sam Curran getting a spot in the team in this thread at the beginning of the series, adamant that Stokes could not be considered as an all rounder any more and the team needs one for balance. Whilst I was right on that score Woakes has taken that birth and been truly awesome. Also a shame that’s the end of Ali, his better batting (than Leach) makes a world of difference to team balance.

Akers

I remain convinced though that had they not declared on day one they’d now have the urn.

This. Huge mistake, especially being the first test. Other than that I think the team performed well. Australia were always going to be the toughest test Stokes’ England has faced, and overall England were the better team and deserved the series win. It was a shame the Manchester weather denied them the result.

Disappointing that Test Match cricket is now over for the year, at the start of August.

ads678

TMS on the radio

I got a NowTV pass so I could wotch the Ashes whilst working, but jesus christ the commentry is awful compared to TMS. It was great seeing it live, but I couldn’t get the feeds to line up so had to endure the sky commentry team. TMS is soooo good.

Agree in a way about Woakes/Broad & Anderson, but I think everyone know that Anderson at leats doesn’t bowl well in Aus conditions, but they’ve both got over 600 wickets and they didn’t get them all in Engalnd.

Also agree about the declaration in the first test. We should have won that series winning at least 4 tests. Hopefully though this has given Stokes and McCullam a good idea about how to play bazball (I actually hate that term now…) going forward. Positive is good and allowing players to play their game without the pressure of feeling they will be bollocked and/or dropped for getting out is great and very refreshing and entertaining. Wildly sloshing and having no regard for your wicket, not so much….

Klunk
    Free Member

this popped up on my utube feed 😀

lunge

Here we go. The World Cup begins, a fitting finish for ODI’s perhaps?

simondbarnes

Big wicket that one

simondbarnes

Looking very one sided, NZ playing rather well.

ads678

Proper stuffing that!

Klunk
    Free Member

England are being torn a new one by Afghanistan  :/ complacent doesn’t even cover it !

ransos
    Free Member

Apparently England have never lost to a so called minnow at a world cup. That’s about to change.

Houns

Eeessh

fasgadh
    Free Member

Ireland recovered from a near hopeless position to beat England in 2011. O’Brian.

Klunk
    Free Member

turning into as a, norwegian might put it “one hell of a beating!” 🙁

simondbarnes

I’m glad I went to the pub rather than listening to it on TMS.

pk13

The Afghan team where living hand to mouth a few years ago when they where based in Brighton for the world cup borrowing kit ect.

ads678

Love Buttler but he doesn’t seem captain material to me. He looked scared/stressed when he came out to bat.

Klunk
    Free Member

seems SA have come out in sympathy for England 🙂 come on you Dutchies!

simondbarnes

This is a cracking effort from the Netherlands, hope they can grab the last 2 wickets to close it out.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Only 1 wicket required!

Next match for SA is against England. One of those teams is going to have a nightmare.

Viewing 40 posts - 6,801 through 6,840 (of 6,928 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.