• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Munich recommendations?
  • onlysteel
    Free Member

Got a couple of days in Munich coming up in a few weeks, in between weeks in Garmisch and Berchtesgaden.
    Looking for things to do which will entertain myself, Mrs OS and the 15yo yoof.
    Already got the BMW tour booked, which I understand is near the Olympic Stadium – is this worth a look?
    Will be visiting the Stadtmuseum and adjacent Jewish museum in an attempt to educate boy.
    Couple of beer halls also pencilled in.
    Any other recommendations?
    Ta.

graemecsl
    Free Member

Always worth getting out to Dachau, if you’ve never ‘done’ a death camp, keeps a certain sense of perspective.

StirlingCrispin

I did a cycle tour of Munich with Mike’s Bikes.

Highly recommended. Gave me enough orientation in half-a-day to go and explore the really cool bits further.

alpin
    Free Member

STW’s resident Münchner here…..

Honestly, I thought the Jewish museum was crap. Not much about pre-war, just “Nazi, Nazi Nazi…..”. Nothing you wouldn’t know from watching The World At War or any other second world war documentary.

Stadtmuseum ist gut, but really, with this weather get yourself to a beer garden and enjoy the atmosphere…. A Maß (not a verdammte Stein, which does come in a litre but only counts as a Stein if it is a clay jug (#bloodytourists) and sadly there are very few places that serve Steins), a Brez’n (giant bready pretzel thing), some ummpa-ommpa music, another Maß, some Schweinsbraten (yum yum yum). Mmmmnnnmm. 😀

A stroll through the Englisch Garten or along the Isar river (where I am now) is a nice way to spend some time.

Olympic Park is OK if you are really into architecture, but isn’t that [/u] amazing. You could stroll through it from the BMW museum (which despite doing many jobs there was never that excited about or impressed with) which is just across the road.

Never bothered with Dachau. I figure that we all know what went on. I’ve spoken to enough elderly locals to know that they knew at the time what was going on.

If you’ve got a day to kill I would suggest going down south, but given the fact you are in Garmisch and then Berchtesgaden I won’t bother.

Augustiner in the pedestrian zone is the most authentic beer hall.
    The Augustiner Biergarten in the Arnulf Str. is good and easy to find. The Englisch Garten has the Biergarten at the Chinese Tower usually the ummpa-ommpa stuff, but is full of tourists. To the south along the Isar is the (Wald Wirtschaft, or WaWi) is nice.

Hofbräu is full of pissed up stag do’s and Australians.

The Ratshaus Keller is also good for an evening, but more food orientated.

The Augustiner near Frauenkirche is a nice mix of modern and old school.

Dornisel in the pedestrian zone is silly expensive.

Don’t drink Paulaner or Löwenbräu (seriously, it is pants and give Bavarian beer a bad name). Stick to Augustiner whenever possible. Hofbräu is OK, as is Hacker.

Expect to share a table whether in a Biergarten or restaurant.

15 is old enough to drink. However, a shandy is called a Radler, which incidentally is also a cyclist.

The Technisches Universität (TU) has a nice rooftop terrace over looking the city with a view to the alps whilst still charging student prices but being open to everyone.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The Augustina bar.

Sandwich

Trip to Bad Told and Grünwald for some 30’s and early 40’a history. The remains of the SS officer training school are in Tolz, Grünwald is where German cinema for going. Just outside Grünwald on Tolzerstrasse is a death march memorial. Probably have more of an effect on the youth than trip to Dachau due to it being in a lovely wooded spot.

alpin
    Free Member

not just one Augustiner bar….

another interesting place is the commonwealtrh graves site near Gmund, Tegernsee.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/2008700/DURNBACH%20WAR%20CEMETERY

and yes, quite few old villas around TRegernsee that “belonged” to Nazi top brass.

alanf
    Free Member

Always worth getting out to Dachau, if you’ve never ‘done’ a death camp, keeps a certain sense of perspective.

I happened upon this on a tour through Europe and went for an afternoon. Lost all sense of time, ended up spending about 4 hours there and it wasn’t enough really. I was gripped by it. Once you start peeling back the layers of what you know about it, actually being in the place it happened opens up a whole new level of horror and shock but it seems only right to take it in and respect the people that had to suffer it.

Del

Was there ^ very briefly yesterday as I was working just over the road and still found it moving. At some point it’s likely I’ll be in the area again and will try to give it the time it deserves.
    I’m still not entirely sure what motivated me to go, if it was morbid curiosity, or some sort of sense of duty, or what.

Munich is a great place though. Enjoy it.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Ex Münchner here too. I’d second everything that Alpin said except I’d disagree about Dachau. Id say it’s definitely worth visiting.

I’d also recommend Kehlsteinhaus (Hitler’s mountain top retreat) if you’re near Berchtesgaden.

Del

For beer gardens we went to Schlosswirtschaft Mariabrunn, which has a great view to Munich and the Alps if the conditions are right, apparently 😐
    and also Schleissheim Palace. Both were lovely, but the food and ambience better at the former imo. There were tons of bikes there too, so I imagine there are some good routes over there that make the trip pretty accessible.

rsmythe
    Free Member

Hire a Bike from Mike’s bikes and take a scenic journey south on the river Isar. Well paved cycle route so you’re not mixed with traffic. There are some nice beaches for picnics. You could also take the train down to Starnberger see, which I’m told is nice.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Thanks for suggestions.
    Augustiner in Arnulf Str is on the list, Alpin.
    Also Mikes bike tour.
    Interesting comments re Dachau. Not sure I could cope with it, frankly, which is why I thought the 2 museums I mentioned in the original post might be better for us – if it all gets a bit much we can walk out into the light again.
    Dunno how I feel treating the camp as a stop on a tourist itinerary. Confused feelings on this.
    It was our intention to visit the Eagles Nest from Berchtesgaden, Ecky.

Sandwich

Minister from Berchtesgaden is worth the trip. Don’t be discouraged by the Mcdonalds in the car park. The walk is worth it.

Sandwich

Bloody autocorrect Konigsee. Not minister.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Had me puzzled, Sandwich!
    We’ll be walking when we’re in Garmisch & B’gaden. Currently studying relevant Kompass maps and the Cicerone guide. Looking forward to getting away.

colp

There’s a couple of nice gorge walks and a big cave in Lofer (near Berchtesgaden) if you have some time on the way back to Munich

alpin
    Free Member

^^Partnachklamm in Garmisch. take a jumper and/or a rain coat. quite beautiful if not a little “safe”; a walkway has been installed and even those in a wheelcahir can visit.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Munich recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.