Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mull in November- am I mad?
  • MrSparkle

Its my 30th Wedding Anni in November. In recent years we’ve enjoyed renting cottages on Skye and Arran in the summer. We take the dogs and do a bit of running, walking, cycling and stuff.

I have fancied visiting Mull next for a while. Is it a stupid idea to go in first week of November? I know there’s only daylight between about 9.00am and 3.00pm and that it’s likely to pee down with rain quite a bit but taking that into consideration… I’m thinking being based in Tobermory so we’ve got pubs and stuff to hand.

Any advice, as always, gratefully received.

Cheers,

Sparkle.

xora

Could be ok, it has been known to be dry in November on the west coast.

At least the midges will be gone 🙂

legend
    Free Member

I like Mull, hopefully it’ll be quite cheap for accommodation, i’d give it a shot – its not like bad weather would catch you by surprise!

Marge
    Free Member

Its Mull – chances are you will get every kind of weather there regardless of the time of year 🙂

it will always be magnificent though so for gods sake yes

fasthaggis

Plan for the worst,enjoy the best bits.

MrSparkle

My point of view exactly. Thanks all. Initial response from my Financial Director is a bit cool. Hopefully she’ll come round a bit.

Nico
    Free Member

Why not just go somewhere where it will be warm and dry? It’s your wedding anniversary so presumably you are both involved?

If you like mountains and scenery and nothing too hot can I recommend la Palma?

fasthaggis

Sounds like you may want to adjust the ‘Luxury’ rating on the cottage choice. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

When we went to Mull, most of the walking and outdoor activities on offer were pretty hardcore. Not much casual walking but if you like trekking across wilderness and remote peaks, then it’d be awesome.

legend
    Free Member

Would a luxury Yurt suit sit?

Wiksey
    Free Member

All depends on what you’re looking for – if you’re thinking warm, dry and lots of restaurants etc you might be looking at the wrong island. If you’re thinking get out and about whatever the weather then cosy up by the fire in a pub at the end of the day then you’ll be in luck 🙂

Tob is a good place for the winter as there are still some places open (a lot of places still shut for a while over the winter) and there’s all sorts of walks from close by.

Try here for a start:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/mull/

matt_outandabout

End of November in many Highland places = shut down for the winter. Just be aware not everywhere will be open. And it does feel like a wild little island on the edge of the Atlantic. I don’t know Mull well, but it isn’t a big centre of population and so likely to be a little more closed for the winter. A stay in Oban, day ferry to Mull and explore Argyll may be a better bet for beach walks, nice forests etc.

That said, mrs_OAB and I are always happy to be out, the places are deserted, take a picnic in case pub/cafe is shut etc. We don’t mind a set of waterproofs for a walk. More excuse to be tucked up in front of a roaring fire in the darkness.

You also get this to yourself:

MrSparkle

Just to clarify – we’re both Fell runners so no strangers to ‘weather’. And we’ve got two Border Collies that we’ll be taking with us so realistically foreign jaunts are out, as are some of the more exotic accommodation suggestions.

I’ve seen a cottage in Tobermory that allows you to take 2 dogs. It’s got a log fire. There’s pubs in staggering distance.

We might go up for less than a week and go to our caravan in the Lakes at either end. Hmmm.

Wiksey
    Free Member

You’ve got the right dogs for the island! – seems everyone round here has one including us 🙂

Plenty of good walks for collies from Tob and the pubs are open all year round and dog friendly so no worries there.

If you’re thinking less than a week then come over on the Lochaline-Fishnish ferry as you don’t have to book in advance.

redmist
    Free Member

I was there in March, a few things were closed until easter but there was enough to entertain ourselves for a few days with some hiking and exploring. Nice seafood restaurant on the harbour in Tob and decent pubs as above. Iona was interesting for an afternoon potter about too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mull in November- am I mad?’ is closed to new replies.