Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mugdock Felling
  • aldo56
    Free Member

I hadn’t been up Mugdock for a while and so was quite shocked by the extent of the felling!

Could anyone with more knowledge suggest which trails have been flattened?

stevie750

Where you up last night?
    Do you pass three bikes in mangina?

irc

There is a map of the route of the pipeline the felling is for at

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15982773.victorians-would-be-turning-in-their-graves-over-25m-milngavie-beauty-spot-water-pipe-plan/

Keeping it in perspective a gas pipeline was put through on a parallel route 30 odd years ago. Afew years after it was in the trees grew back. I doubt many people know it’s there.

aldo56
    Free Member

Stevie – No, not me I’m afraid.

IRC – Cheers, that’s useful. 30 years is a long time though haha

2tyred

Dead Gnome’s properly dead now, so too the end of Clifftop. Not that much else wrecked from what I’ve ridden although I fear for the section of trees across the fireroad from the round-the-wood loop. Be rubbish if that gets flattened.

lovewookie

Dead gnome is properly gone.
    Blackwood, to the back of the newish water bit on gowk stane road is kinda difficult too.
    Dr Jon’s is ok, trees down but the path is safe.
    Looking at trailforks, the bit called round wood, after the wall, is gone. You can still make your way along the wall line, across the stumps to the big berm and onwards though.

lovewookie

IRC, the map shows a route quite far from the felling. The pipeline route looks to cross the whw at mugdock wood, which has been cordoned off from the carpark next to the reservoir on mugdock road.
    Looks like the works will make the top of rocky rooty unavailable, and the link past the golf course, up the rocky path to the whw.

dougie80
    Free Member

Last time I was up there (Feb/March) all the felling was in the area of Round the Wood Link. It must have extended north if those other trails are affected. I had a look at that Herald article, the new pipeline is well south of the felling mentioned in this thread. From the map in the article the pipeline is down around the golf course, in the vicinity of the Rocky Rooty/WHW trail area.

I thought the felling I saw was just normal forestry activity.

irc

Ah. Different bit of felling.
    The pipeline felling linked to has resulted in a few mature Beech and Limes being destroyed and goes directly along one of the main access paths from Milngavie. A couple of hundred yards West it would have stayed in open fields longer and gone through a bog of nobody uses rather than a popular dog walking meadow. But I guess that battle has been fought. It’s now about making sure it’s landscaped as well as possible after completion without and new fences or other restrictions. As the gas pipeline was.

sillyoldman

Much of the stuff “lost” should be retrievable. Felling is done, need to clear the trails, Mark them and bribe the planters with beer as we did with the fellers.

Collection tin in Mugdock Country Cycles for that very purpose.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mugdock Felling’ is closed to new replies.