Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Mudguards for Kona Paddy Wagon
  • JackHammer

I’m looking at SKS mudguards for my paddy wagon commuter. Cant figure out which ones I would need. I have 28c Marathon plus tyres on at the moment, probably replace them with gatorskins at a later date either 28 or 25.

Ideally i want the flaps, in black maybe with reflective stuff on too.

Anyone know which model I should be looking at to recommend me something better? I know SKS were the go to brand when I worked in a shop a few years ago.

slowster
    Free Member

I’ve got SKS P35 chromplastic guards on my fixed, which is fitted with 28mm Vredestein Senseo Extreme Weather tyres.

However, depending upon the clearance between the tyres and the Paddy Wagon’s calliper brakes, you might be better off with the Bluemels version (also made by SKS). The SKS P35, P45 etc. have a squarish section, and the arms of a rim brake can hit/press against the corners, which limits how close the guard can be mounted to the underside of the brake (and consequently how much clearance there will be between the guard and tyre).

I believe the Bleumels version is rounder in section, and so can be mounted closer to the underside of the brake, giving more clearance.

Since the Paddy Wagon has rear facing track ends, I would suggest getting an extra pair of Secu Clips for the rear mudguard, which will allow you to pull the mudguard stays quickly from the clip when you need to remove the rear wheel, e.g. to fix a puncture.

As for reflectives and (longer) flaps, just fit them yourself. You can use a cut up piece of plastic milk bottle or damp proof course for a longer flap.

TiRed

P35s are a good fit, but I’ve snapped two at the rear seat stay! No problems with Tortec in the same width, which have reflective bands. So I’d say go for those instead. I did buy some nice bling carbon guards, but they would not fit under my carbon forks, so I’ve fitted them to my winter bike instead.

JackHammer

oh yeah tortec was the brand we used to sell too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards for Kona Paddy Wagon’ is closed to new replies.