Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mudguards for a 456
  • flyingmonkeycorps

After a terrific but very moist ride yesterday, as I’m still picking grit out of my eyes and I got in all sorts of trouble for the filth I put in the washing machine I’ve decided I should probably invest in some decent mudguards. And a jetwash, but I think I know what I’m getting for that already.

Had a bit of a read on here and it looks like the RRP ProGuard is the one to go for on the front, so that’s easy. I’ll probably go for the max protection one, because I don’t want any other kind of protection.

The RRP rear looks pretty good too, but I’m not sure if it’ll fit in my frame. I have a 456 Evo 2, which has the kind of split chainstay thing – you can see it in the pic below.

There’s not a vast amount of tyre clearance to the sides, so I’m not sure the RRP Rear will fit. Has anyone tried one on these frames? Any suggestions as to what else is good – maybe Mudgugger?

Ta.

garage-dweller

A crud catcher type thing that clamps on the seat post works well on mine (26″ 456 from about 2009/10).

I found some decathlon ones that could be popped on and off with a ratchet / lever type arrangement. Stops a lot of the filth and a crud catcher and fork bridge mounted guard up front too

flyingmonkeycorps

Can’t really use a seatpost one at the moment as I run a dropper, and it’s almost all the way down into the frame (I have stumpy little legs for my height). Plus when I tried one (admittedly a cheapy one) it wobbled all over like an excited dog wagging its tail. Which wasn’t ideal.

garage-dweller

Leaving aside the wobble issue I reckon the Decathlon ones we bought would go round the seat tube mast below the clamp. I’m going to change the BB on mine in the next hour or so. I will try and report back.

PhilO
    Free Member

I’m very happy with a mudhugger on mine – also a pre-evo 26” model.

ajantom

Have a look at the Zefal RM29 (designed for 27.5/29ers, but works fine with 26ers too).

Half the price of a mudhugger, and no mucking around with zipties.

jamesoz

The Zefal  RM29 works well on my full suss bikes with low seat stays.

On my 26” singlespeed I find the Zefal ‘no mud’ (about a tenner) works better, only downside is the movable flap snaps easily. Nothing that couldn’t be bodged though.

guandax
    Free Member

Midhugger front and rear. Look crap work ace

garage-dweller

Back from the shed.

The ratchet clip rear guards we have are branded polisport.

Mine will go round the seat tube mast with clicky strip to spare (27.2 post / c. 31mm outside diameter).

While they’ll wobble on a roof rack or boot rack, at normal riding speeds I find it stable.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers all, some ideas to try out there. I’m still erring toward the Mudhugger, but the Polisport and the Zefal actually look like decent options (and much cheaper).

Not really fussed how it looks as long as it works!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards for a 456’ is closed to new replies.