Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Muckmedden 6 Hour on Sunday – Anyone Going?
  • myopic
    Free Member

As above – I’ve signed up and looking forward to it 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Oh a new Muckmedden event? What’s he doing now? 6 hour ‘endurance’ race?

myopic
    Free Member
    pigyn
    Free Member

Team Pedals Bike Care will be represented by myself and the girlfriend. Expect podiums.

We won’t be on them mind, but they will be there.

pigyn
    Free Member

Well, she might.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I’m more concerned about what state whatever’s left of the trails will be in. March is not a time of year when the trails are likely to be more resilient.

pigyn
    Free Member

Yeah it could be a right mess after. Aaron does a lot of the building and ongoing maintenance anyway so sort of has a right to ruin them if he wants to 😉

There was a long argument about this on either here or trailscotland already so we won’t get back into it.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Looks fun. I’d of entered if I was still in Scotland. Aaron really does do some cracking events.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Whatever.

To think that trail building and maintenance is solely down to Aaron is naive to say the least. Aaron makes a profit out of abusing EVERYONE’S trails. There are no “rights” involved.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I believe the event is on the other side of the hill on newer and less ridden trails, as Aaron is more than aware of the damage that was done last time. As said above, check the trailscotland thread, as everyone who was bitching about it pretty rapidly shut up after he came on and explained what was happening.

Bewilderedsassanack

The event uses some very well used trails, just like the last event.

Despite Aaron being “aware” of the damage caused last time he didn’t seem to be the one repairing the damage. Nowt was done last time to fix the mess. Some trails have never recovered, even after 3 years.

Despite being “aware” of the damage, he is staging the event at the end of winter, with guaranteed wet ground, and guaranteed damage. The tiny amount of prep work carried out will not protect the trails.

An event that has generated much bad feeling.

isogoat
    Free Member

History shows that the trails will be destroyed and other than lining his own pockets Aaron will cease to be involved afterwards.

This is what happened the last time, the trails are soaked at the moment and thus this is what will happen this time.

There is no point in arguing with a self deluded fanatic online, Aaron wants the money and Aaron doesn’t give a *rap about the state the trails are left in, he will walk away and wash his hands of the mess that everybody else has to live with, just like Aaron did the last time.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m not a fanatic, although it relates very low on the scale of what I have been called! 😀

However, he was very unfortunate last time, in that it rained for 3 weeks before the first Muckmedden, and I completely agree, the trails were a mess, even after the first lap!.

But to say Aaron is walking away with a healthy profit from this? Canny see it.

Hope it goes well, trails aren’t too badly affected and everyone enjoys it.

teamrider24
    Free Member

But to say Aaron is walking away with a healthy profit from this? Canny see it.

No, but then it is his source of income now as he’s apparently now organising events for a living so he is looking to make money from it.

As for damage, IMO its the wrong time of year for this time of event in a forest like that. Its going to be wet after recent weather so the potential for damage is big and while there has been some work done, it doesn’t look like its enough.

I hope it goes well though and that the forest is fine, but I just have a bad feeling about this….

Bewilderedsassanack

Rain forecast all day Saturday. Very bad news for the trails.

jamesy01
    Free Member

The way the winds blowing tonight I hope the organisers have their chainsaw on stand-by!

climbingcragrat
    Free Member

A few misconceptions.

The trails being used are not all low traffic routes. Also they have not all been built by Aaron. One particular section was built by me so I was not best pleased to see an event going ahead without consultation.

Luckily once I flagged up my concerns I was able to meet with the Forestry Commission and event organisers to try and mitigate the damage.

However, unsurprisingly, the weather caused a major headache being initially frozen when the ground work was planned and subsequently soft and muddy for the event.

I will be up for a look tomorrow so we can work out what repairs to do as a priority.

I suspect the biggest lesson here is the need to consult first before getting so far ahead with the planning / advertising / taking money off entrants.

Like many places Pitmedden has some very sensitive trails and the work necessary to safeguard them would have been onerous and potentially spoilt the natural feel of the forest. Thus a conundrum for the event organisers and local trail builders.

There is no doubt as to the popularity of such events and each organiser approaches the planning differently. Without a governing body for such events it would be hard to instigate guidelines or rules to protect the trails. However this is perhaps an idea to flesh out for the future.

pigyn
    Free Member

Everything coped very well today. A couple of sections worse for wear, loam lover and the old ‘wooden berm’ downhill track to sawmill road.

Which was your section climingcragrat?

Bewilderedsassanack

ClimbingCragRat built Loam Lover 🙁
    Lovely section, or at least it was until you destroyed it.

Bewilderedsassanack

Had a depressing walk around the Muckmedden route in Pitmedden today. Dog enjoyed it as we played “hunt the gel packet”.

Lots of damage obviously. Anything remotely damp is a real mess. Sections such as the crossroads shortly after the stanes was unwalkable, let alone rideable. Bad sections on the Eastern boundary trail and above the slabs also.

The Loam Lover section dug by Phil has been totally destroyed. What was two lovely steep single track downhill sections have been totalled. The slopes have been scoured clean of soil, leaving a bare root nightmare with a pile of soil at the bottom. Lots of small trees either side of the trail also smashed down and uprooted.

I know how much effort ClimbingCragRat put into this trails, so to see it trashed really is a crime.

The final downhill section is equally scoured of soil and wrecked.

Everyone who took part in this event should make a personal apology to Phil and return to try and repair the damage.

I’m sure no one will. We live in a very selfish age, as long as you got your six hours of fun and Aaron got a bag of cash, thats all that matter right? No thought will be given to the years of good riding that was in that trail.

It is completely pointless developing new trail in the forest, as you never know if it will be sacrificed to Aarons wallet.

Disgraceful.

BoardinBob

Everyone who took part in this event should make a personal apology to Phil and return to try and repair the damage.

😆

Northwind

There is a sensible argument to be had here but most of the people involved seemed to be screeching nutters. Recommendation- if you have a valid point, don’t be batshit crazy about it or people will assume it’s a batshit crazy point.

Dougal
    Free Member

The Loam Lover section dug by Phil

The definition of “dug” must have changed since I last looked at a dictionary. Loam lover was about the most natural trail going, zero digging or bench cutting.

BoardinBob

And the last time I checked, building trails doesn’t also give you ownership of the land…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

STW’s middle class whiny cockbags strike again.

And the last time I checked, building trails doesn’t also give you ownership of the land…

Spot on. The FC must have OK’d it and if they didn’t bother to put conditions on the event, then tough imo.

There seems to be a lot of resentment from some of the posters above about the fact there’s a possible profit being made. Unfortunately, that’s the way the world works.

fasgadh
    Free Member

Pitmedden is not an exclusive MTB venue. Others use it and making a mess is going to attract unwelcome attention. Terrible time of year for such an event and you have to ask: is this responsible access?

I am not the only whiney cockbag, and what would the FC do if a lot of Auchermuchty’s dog walking finest start acting up.

Bewilderedsassanack

Dougal: did that trail form from volcanic activity? Glaciers? Deer who like a nice bit of downhill? No, someone had to make it. The trail fairies are not real fairies. They are actually people (just like the tooth fairy). Sorry to break this to you. We’ll chat about Santa later.

BoardinBob: no, building trails does not give you ownership. Neither does buying Aaron a new Telly. I would hope that you would have some respect for people’s effort. However, you epitomise the selfishness of the times, congratulations.

mactheknife

Did the forestry commission ok this event after consultation? and were all parties not invited by Aaron to meet up and have a walk round the trails in question so that any concerns could be raised and changes put in place if need be?

I ride a fair bit at Pitmedden and so many of the trails are eroded and well used. I doubt this will have much of an impact as the warmer weather is on the way and the vegetation grows back. Which it will.

Plus guys it is completely understandable objecting to events but by persistently coming online and harassing Aaron after he has done what has been asked of him by the Forestry commission then it appears to be nothing more than a witch hunt. I don’t think it is but it is how it comes across. Your very valid points are being ignored because of the nature of your posts.

pigyn
    Free Member

For some reason I had thought that loam lover was one of Aarons, it looks like this isn’t correct so yeah, sorry Phil it is rubbish to see something you made get a years worth of traffic in a day. Once it dries out and what’s left of the topsoil smoothes out it should be great again 🙂

There are a few plus points for the trails that have come from this event, the ‘wet point’ re-routes on heart of darkness are now well bedded in, the trail after heart of darkness that has been closed since the felling is now open again and running great, and the new climb and descent (that looked like it was built for the event?) will be well bedded in and hopefully a lasting feature of the forrest.

I still think compared to the last event damage has been small, partly because the lack of timed ‘enduro’ dowmhill sections mean people haven’t been riding there for 2 months prior trying to scope lines.

radoggair
    Free Member

i agree, stop bloody whining. Its a forest that destroys itself then rebuilds itself as part of evolution. Just cause you built stuff doesn’t give you sole or any representation of who can ride those trails. Do you ask anyone when you ride other trails? thought not. As for the

and what would the FC do if a lot of Auchermuchty’s dog walking finest start acting up.

So what, what would dog walkings finest do if we complained about dog poop all over the trails that people walk on?.

Scotland has thousands upon thousands of miles of trails, tracks etc and what may get damaged today, another will grow tomorrow. Corrosion is part of the way of the earth. A race happened, areas got damaged, area will repair themselves and new trails will be found, formed and built

Jeez, some people

Bewilderedsassanack

I’ve no problem with the forest gently changing and evolving through normal usage. I do have a problem with trails in a shared resource being wiped off the map when the sole motivation is one mans profit.

pigyn
    Free Member

Well, and the enjoyment of everyone that took part 😉

radoggair
    Free Member

with the amount of time effort and money needed to get these events going and ( what seemed like) the lowish numbers who took apart ( compared to bigger events like GT7 or 10 under) then i dont think he made much profit

myopic
    Free Member

Bewildered Sassanack: when the sole motivation is one mans profit

I doubt everyone who went along to either participate, marshall, watch or sponsor was motivated by the thought that they were making a profit for ‘one man’, so no, that wouldn’t be the ‘sole motivation’. Everyone I spoke to seemed motivated to ride responsibly and appreciated the trails, support and organisation that went into the event. Sure I saw some gel wrappers – I picked up a few up – but nothing like on the scale of some events. In fact I would have believed that there were few enough that they were accidental.

The trails were actually drying out as the day went on, not getting worse. There was the odd puddle that spread, but nothing like the carnage suggested above.

BoardinBob

the sole motivation is one mans profit.

😆

If you think the “damage” shown in those trails is bad then you best avoid pretty much any course after a race. We live on a soggy island in the north Atlantic. Trails will get muddy and they’ll recover. There’s nothing big or clever about NIMBY-ism

scotroutes

FWIW, as an FCS event sanctioned on land owned by the FCS, the Land Access Act definition of “responsible access” is irrelevant.

If there’s one moreal here it’s don’t build trails on land you neither own nor control access to unless you’re prepared for other (perhaps less sympathetic) users to make the most of them and/or have them removed, regardless of how disheartening that might be.

Bewilderedsassanack

Absolutely correct scotroutes. The mountain bike community have demonstrated that they will happily destroy anything to get their fix. Sums up human nature perfectly. Can’t say there is any motivation on my part to repair or maintain anything in the forest anymore (which I did on a daily basis) knowing now how little the resource is valued.

BoardinBob

Looks like awesome fun. Wish I was there.

Race Report | Muckmedden 6Hour Endurance XC Race

bigjim

It’s a commercial forest, it’ll be felled and gone for good soon.

I just wanted to be part of this thread really.

pigyn
    Free Member

I DISAGREE WITH BIGJIM

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Muckmedden 6 Hour on Sunday – Anyone Going?’ is closed to new replies.