Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What tyres for a spot of touring ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Yes i know its a MTB forum, but i know a few peeps on here like to do a bit of touring as well … what tyres are people running ? 😀
    Currently have scwalbe land cruisers 35mm on the crosser … seem ok just very heavy

ton

i have conti tour rides on at present, fitted with slime tubes. working ok.
    put 6k into some schwalbe marathons last year…..only 1 P thing.

mikey3
    Free Member

Schwalbe marathons everytime here.

steelfan
    Free Member

I’ve been running the Vittoria Voyager Hypers for a while and found them fantastic. Super light, very fast rolling and no punctures so far.
    They are silly cheap at On One at the moment
    Voyager Hyper

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Those voyagers look ok 🙂 .. rode some 28mm vittorias today and they were a bit skittish , but that could of been the ice on the back roads !

steelfan
    Free Member

You can also get a normal Voyager with a bit more tread.

voyager

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’ve used Continental Travel Contacts (700×37) that are good for a bit of gravel and dodgy roads and seem to wear well, but I’ve been most impressed with some Schwalbe Durano in 32mm that I put on before the bad weather, so have only ridden them in rain, slush and lord knows what else – about 1000km so far. They’re quite light (for the width) and seem to roll very well too.

EDIT: like the look of those Voyagers, thanks!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

😯 .. just looked at marathons , their heavier than the land cruisers ! 😯

CraigW
    Free Member

I’m now using Panaracer Pasela or Panaracer Ribmo. They are reasonably light, and fairly puncture proof. The Pasela have a bit of tread, so OK for a bit of off-road.

I have previously used Schwalbe Marathon Plus – they are extremely puncture proof, but rather heavy and slow.

jameso

Conti Contact series have some good flat resistant tyres that aren’t too wooden. I guess much depends on the tour duration and how much hassle a flat is. I’ve used normal road 25s and light Panaracer 38s, all good.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve done a lot of laden touring miles on Marathon Supremes. Pretty light, grippy and puncture resistant.

ton

stumpy……….yes i am but in a 47c they are huge, but roll fine.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Just comparing them to the land cruisers, not much in them ?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-land-cruiser-rigid-city-road-tyre/

steezysix
    Free Member

For road touring the Vittoria Hyper Randonneur are amazing – I used to love the Conti sport contact, these are similar but the Hypers are so much lighter and more supple. Just ordered my second (very cheap) set from PX.

jockthestore
    Free Member

Ones with kevlar in them… I managed a tour of, well, lets just say quite a distance, without a single flat due to a sharp object. Managed to get one from a pinch flat though, as well as one from a singapore 2 dollar note (used to line hole in tyre from pinch flat 2000 miles earlier).

ton

i stay away from lightweight tyres for obvious reasons. i like to be able to venture from the main roads a bit.

scotroutes

Marathons are heavy, feelabit dead and you can feel the rolling resistance. However they are robust, they have good grip and will handle all sorts of trails. They are my default touring tyre. If you can be assured of decent tarmac then you could get away with some GP4seasons

matts
    Free Member

Bike-packing: Randonneur Pro
    Panniers: Voyager Hyper
    Heavy touring: No idea. 🙂

somafunk

steelfan : cheers for the heads up on the vittoria’s, got two 35mm on the way.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for a spot of touring ?’ is closed to new replies.