Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • MTB video standards have come on a bit.
  • martinhutch

Blimey, the dronework on this. And the music. And the locations. And the riding.

Too much to take in on one viewing.

lowey

Thats brilliant!

scaredypants

well yeah, but there’ll be another new set of standards out next year

DickBarton

Awesomely impressive riding and footage. Music and edit is also fantastic.

scaredypants

(that ded sharp ridge made me pucker a bit, mind)

nickc

That’s pretty amazing!

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

wow, the drone work in that is next-level.

DezB
    Free Member

Mountain biking is a beautiful thang.

scuttler

Mint

rossburton
    Free Member

Came here to repeat the ridgeline comment. Involuntary gasp.

Great video, that must have been great fun to scout!

JAG

A great video – no doubt. And I already knew that Commencal and Shimano make great products etc…

But it’s like the latest promo’ for a James Bond film; too full on, too high paced and just not what I do on my mountain bike.

So I don’t feel the need to buy Commencal or Shimano products after watching it.

Sooooo has the video and thus the creators of the video missed the whole point of making the video??

P-Jay
    Free Member

What a great advert!

(for Drones)…

But no, that was mint. I quite like that Meta e-bike too.

andybrad

yea but hes on an ebike so we could all do that really easily…

the-muffin-man

S’alright but it’s no Dirt!… 🙂

sharkattack

Anyone know where that ridgeline is?

andylc
    Free Member

Kind of good but not sure I liked the continual use of drones going much faster than the bike to make the ground move more quickly and make it look like it’s faster than it is. But probably just jealous.

matt_outandabout

Who wears a white jersey though?

(I likey, but was getting dizzy from the overuse of swoopy drone shots…)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Also the tiny lense/sensor conspires to give a massive depth of field, so your eyes bouncing around the picture not sure what to focus on. That combined with a bit of youtube compression making everything a bit grainy anyway and it just looks like a video game rendering.

Drones done well can get some cool shots, but I didn’t like that.

So I don’t feel the need to buy Commencal or Shimano products after watching it.

Sooooo has the video and thus the creators of the video missed the whole point of making the video??

To be fair you’re not* going to sell enduro bikes to bimblers anyway, so the advert’s probably not targeted at you.

A bit like I don’t rush out and buy Always pads or download TickTock whenever the adverts are on TV.

*observational evidence from trail centers does largely disprove this though.

martinhutch

Also, even if the product doesn’t directly appeal to the view, if the video inspires some middle-aged sad-sack to share it on social media <cough> then it reaches a larger audience, some of whom might be interested.

A bit like I don’t rush out and buy Always pads

That’s just because their ads are shite. Ooooh…Bodyfooorrm… now that’s an ad!

Milkie
    Free Member

Looks good, what drone/camera for footage like that? I’m guessing its not a Hexo or Mavic 😉

DezB
    Free Member

missed the whole point

I think someone has

jameso

That was very good… I always liked the ariel shots of the scenery in the TdF and this takes the idea a long way forward.

Not at all – you’re talking about it, you watched it, you added to a forum thread on it. Marketing tick.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Advertising and Marketing is far more subtle than that now. Unless you have a unique new product, or at least can conceivably convince people who have (looking at you Apple) there’s no point any more in say “Hey, look at this, it’s great, get to the shops and buy it now” especially when it comes to a large purchase like a new bike.

What will happen is that in a few months, years even when it’s time for you to buy a new bike, you’ll trawl the shops, look online etc and then you’ll find a Commencal, there will be a subtle brand recognition somewhere in the back of your mind so you won’t think to question the quality of it, or the performance, because it’s a Commencal, you know them don’t you?

The best part is, 99% of people will refuse to accept brand recognition works, because it makes them feel they’re being duped – but how many riders do you know who are fiercely loyal to a Bike- even if they’ve never ridden one. Either because they have another bike by the same brand, or just because their advertising / marketing plan worked for them? How many riders are completely, 100%, down to their bones CERTAIN that a particular frame / rim material is the best, the Brand of gears or brakes is the best, the suspension design is the best, the right ratio of head angle and top tube length is the best even though they’ve not spent months testing different designs or types. How many times have you read that a STWer have decided on their next bike entirely based on a small number of comparable numbers on a page, is it because they’re design engineers, or pro riders with months of product testing to back it up? No, it’s because the right ‘bullshit’ found them at the right time.

jameso

it’s because the right ‘bullshit’ found them at the right time.

“Master! Is that you?” : )

MSP

Some of the best camera work I have seen since “unreal”, hope there is an extended cut at some point it chopped and changed between cuts a bit too often for my liking, I would have liked to have seen a couple of minutes of riding at a few of those locations (I think I recognised some from the Valberg area).

Blackflag
    Free Member

Urrrm…. I hated it. Over edited, cut, cut, cut, fast sweeping shot after fast sweeping shot just to create the illusion of greater speed. Like watching a recent Tony Scott film (not a good thing)

Sorry

jedi

Few bits seemed too almost cgi. But loved it

sharkattack

Like watching a recent Tony Scott film

How recent?

Grump
    Free Member

@sharkattack “Anyone know where that ridgeline is?”

99% sure it’s the terrain below Flaine / above Passy and Sallanches in Haute Savoie, gets used in plenty trail running and wingsuit edits. VTT, not so much….! Some other stuff inn there filmed in Haute Savoie too, but it’s a pretty wide ranging video, almost like they did a tour of, erm, France.

tall_martin

I thought that was brilliant!

I
    Although I didn’t spot or it was an e- bike,. I thought it was a meta.

I’ve always liked the ideas behind comencals bikes.

What will happen is that in a few months, years even when it’s time for you to buy a new bike, you’ll trawl the shops, look online etc and then you’ll find a Commencal, there will be a subtle brand recognition somewhere in the back of your mind so you won’t think to question the quality of it, or the performance, because it’s a Commencal, you know them don’t you?

The best part is, 99% of people will refuse to accept brand recognition works, because it makes them feel they’re being duped – but how many riders do you know who are fiercely loyal to a Bike- even if they’ve never ridden one. Either because they have another bike by the same brand, or just because their advertising / marketing plan worked for them? How many riders are completely, 100%, down to their bones CERTAIN that a particular frame / rim material is the best, the Brand of gears or brakes is the best, the suspension design is the best, the right ratio of head angle and top tube length is the best even though they’ve not spent months testing different designs or types. How many times have you read that a STWer have decided on their next bike entirely based on a small number of comparable numbers on a page, is it because they’re design engineers, or pro riders with months of product testing to back it up? No, it’s because the right ‘bullshit’ found them at the right time.

Hey! That’s EXACTLY why I bought my geometetron! I thought it was because it was the biggest bike I could find. Reading that back, I think marketing has done quite the number on me! It’s still the best bike in the world based on the same of ~10 bikes I’ve ridden off road for any significant amount of time.

ocrider

It’s always nice to see a few spots that you ride every now and then on film, albeit far too briefly (not that butt puckering ridge, obviously)
    But it felt far too compressed, the fast chops and edits are too Michael Bay for my liking. I’m obviously still not the target audience for aspirational eeb adventures

masterdabber
    Free Member

I like the Kilian Bron videos although, like others, this one was a bit too choppy.  The video of his that really freaks me out is the one in the Dolomites. It scares the life out of me. I like his MegAvalanche runs as well. Great fun.

fooman

I wonder how many drones were crashed filming? But yeh everytime I thought ‘that trail looks interesting’ it jumped somewhere else.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘MTB video standards have come on a bit.’ is closed to new replies.