• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Tim.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • MTB (spd) Boots
  • z1ppy

My shimano MT91 are very tired, so I’m looking for replacements before they kick the bucket completely, but I want boots with a high cuff (I have MXZ 300’s for winter). The Shimano XM900’s do seem the obvious option, & I’ve found the Lakes MXZ 200’s which look great, but are even more spendy than the XM900’s & more winter orientated. Can’t see anything obvious from giro/northwave (I want a high cuff on both sides unlike their ‘mid’ Cedric boot) or from google searches. I wondered what else anyone had seen?

footflaps

Northwave seem to have loads with a High cuff..

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=northwave+boots

z1ppy

high cuff for ankle protection, not waterproofing

Rockape63
    Free Member

Ive had MW5’s for years and they are okay. Look a bit more stream lined that your trail boots!

Not particularly warm though.

dreednya

there are these from 45NRTH a successor to the japanther mtb boot

https://45nrth.com/products/ragnarok-black

Fat-boy-fat

I’ve got XM900s after having MT91s. They’re basically the same boots, so just get another pair if you’re happy with them. I’m finding just a bit too chilly during the winter so I’m looking at some new boots (probs Shimano MW7s as most of the alternatives don’t “appeal to mine eyes”).

z1ppy

yeah it’s probably what I will do, but was just wondered if there was any options I’d missed, it. I’d definitely missed those ones that patron’s linked to, not sure if it’s a good thing or not… their intriguing, much like a car crash

onewheelgood

I’m on my second pair of Specialized Defrosters.

rhinofive

I’ve got a pair of Northwave Celsius which are good for warmth & water resistance, but have the dreadful ‘speed lace system’ which is a shonky drawstring which means I can never get them tight enough to stop my foot moving around in the boot, with regular unclipping misadventures as a result.

They seem to have ditched it and gone to Boas on newer models, so they should be much better

stumpy01

I don’t know if they’re any good, but Planet X have recently sent me an email about road and MTB boots…

fossy

MW7’s here. Also use them when it’s particularly wet – i.e. often in the summer. Certainly warm enough for riding in snow.

dreednya

and there are also these On my way! boots from Bontrager

https://www.kenellerkercycles.co.uk/m3b1s353p3070/BONTRAGER_OMW_Winter_Shoes

Tim
    Free Member

Just picked up some new MW5s. Only commuted in them so far but warm, haven’t leaked l, fit well and you can get the cleats well back, which is a bonus

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

For the past four autumns, I’ve pondered at getting a dedicated pair of winter bike shoes/boots (usually Northwave models) for ~£100. But besides commuting ~20min each way in wet/cold weather, I always end up questioning just how much use I will get out of them given I have a turbo.

I came very close to pulling the trigger on a pair of the PX Das Boots for £70 last winter iirc, but I resisted. They are now available on pre-order, including fluro yellow, expected 16/11. Unless it’s an e-mail exclusive, DASBOOTP10 promo code will reduce the increased price of £100 down to £80 plus p&p if you order before end of Sunday 25th Oct.

Tim
    Free Member

After suffering frozen and/or wet feet or pain in the arse overshoes for 3 years, it was worth it for me

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘MTB (spd) Boots’ is closed to new replies.