Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • MTB on BBC1 tonight / was it someone from here?
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Air Medics, BBC1, 19:30

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lj93z

Across the country, the crew of the Pride of Cumbria are urgently trying to find an injured mountain biker missing in the winding forest tracks beneath them. With no one to guide them to him, the crew become more and more concerned for his safety.

foxyrider
    Free Member

any form of MTB on the TV is good MTB 😉 My commiserations to the injured party though (phew)

fbk
    Free Member

Won’t be home by then – might be an iPlayer job…let me know if it’s any good!

I don’t normally like that sort of thing but Hey, it’s MTBing! 🙂

G
    Free Member

any form of MTB on the TV is good MTB

Unless of course its some plank who has gone out solo, ignoring even the most basic of safety practices like not riding alone in an islolated area for example, because then it actually makes MTB riders look like a bunch of tits who deserve no respect whatsoever.

May well not be the case, but the short description does tend to slant it in that direction a tad.

Kramer
    Free Member

I ride alone in isolated areas.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Unless of course its some plank who has gone out solo, ignoring even the most basic of safety practices like not riding alone in an islolated area for example, because then it actually makes MTB riders look like a bunch of tits who deserve no respect whatsoever.

Just mean’t for me not anyone else LOL. Just not much MTB on terrestrial telly and havent got sky so it online MTB tis all I get apart from occasional DVD!

But yes sounds like it will give us a worse reputation maybe 🙁

trailmonkey

Unless of course its some plank who has gone out solo, ignoring even the most basic of safety practices like not riding alone in an islolated area for example

Oh dear 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

G – get real. WTF is wrong with going out on your own? Its perfectly reasonable to do so. Tell someone your route and when you are due back, add in a bit more caution and you are fine.

We are not all trail centre riders you know.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I think his Mom told him not to go out on his bike by himself… 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

G – WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

😯

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

He’ll be saying solo night riding in the woods leads to instant death next!

There is nothing wrong with solo riding in the wilderness.

RepacK
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with riding on yer own.

G
    Free Member

Like I said some t-it, (and now apparently tits) who deserve no respect whatsoever.

Presumably TJ this zero concern for safety style of riding follows on from your world beating vision of helmetless MTB as the way forward? 😉

Glad all the above have coughed to riding whilst ignoring even the most basic of safety practices…..(riding solo in an isolated area being an example of just one of them) …… especially before I had the misfortune to ride with any of them. Presumably that attitude makes your willy bigger, ups the testosterone levels and makes you more of a man? Or is it the understandable “billy-no” mates scenario that follows on from the need to demonstrate your collective manhoods …. Trust me its not very appealing!

Incidentally, before anyone goes off on one I would hope that there is some form of muisunderstanding here, as there are certainly posts above from people who I had more respect for than that!

Surfr
    Free Member

You are correct. There must indeed be some form of massive understanding, as there is nothing wrong with riding alone in remote areas, providing sensible steps were taken to assure safety before setting off. Either that, or we’re not getting your bizarre troll-like humour.

colnagokid

I often ride alone in the Lakes, whats the problem? Tell someone where your going/time you should be back, take a phone/whistle, be safe and dont try anything stupid!
    Are we only alowed to ride in huge groups G? What a load of bobbins!

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

G – get over yourself – if you don’t fancy going solo that fine don’t do it – but you have no idea about the skill levels of others or the precautions they take – solo riding is not about willy waving that’s for trail centre warriors indeed it the exact opposite
    It about (for me) getting out and enjoying majestic scenery in solitude – its about self reliance and self management – using skill to navigate as well a manage the natural environment
    Try it some time – it might open your (blinkered) eyes

qwerty
    Free Member

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Does your mum sew labels in all your clothes too?

What a load of cobblers.

There is NOTHING wrong with riding solo.

Grow up a bit

G
    Free Member

I see the righteous indignation level has overwhelmed the ability to read yet again ….

Now then, now I’ve given you something to rant about, enjoy, I’m off to drink a bottle of rather nice wine and enjoy the company of the lovely Mrs G.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

As long as you aren’t on your own.

‘Righteous Indignation’ Pot / Kettle?

RepacK
    Free Member

G stop being such a sanctimonius plonk – Im sure your a decent bloke but I fail to see why solo riding has got yr fur up so..

BigJohn

Well if they know he’s out there and injured, somebody must have alerted them.

Unless it’s a “what’s that Skippy, there’s an injured cyclist out there?” moment.

colnagokid

Drinking alcohol? Surely that can be hazardous? Your a drain on the NHS!
    😉

G
    Free Member

sanctimonius plonk – Im sure your a decent bloke …..

You’re not getting in my knickers however hard you try it on!

No not santimonious, just stating the obvious. I do ride solo, and I mainly ride away from trail centres to be fair. If I do ride solo however, I generally leave a detailed description of where I’m going or if appropriate a map, and have a time when I will check in by, either by phone or being back. I always carry a bivvy bag and a first aid kit along with the usual trail tools and fluids and food. I would normally back off somewhat if alone and take more care than if in a group.

The implication in the piece of tonights show, is that the helicoptor is having to search for the guy, i.e. no coherrant location given, so either alone, or with an incompetent, (in the proper sense of the word) partner.

Personally, I wouldn’t ride alone in extreme and isolated terrain, its your choice to do whatever you do, but don’t expect any sympathy from this quarter if you properly **** yourself up, and have through your own actions put yourself at substantial risk, and those whose misfortune it is to rescue you.

Big difference between your local rides, and way out in the back of beyond IMHO.

trailmonkey

*chuckles* at qwerty

someone take that spade off G

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

missing in the winding forest tracks beneath them. With no one to guide them to him,

I’m no expert but I’m fairly sure that spotting an injured rider in woodland is not the easiest of things – I’m guessing that the tree cover is the main issue rather then exact location

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

…and he may not be on his own.

….and the ‘winding forest tracks’ could be really close to civilisation.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Do they not have thermal equipment on the choppers? The same stuff as the cops have. This would make it easier I would think?

As for riding on your own sometimes there is no option. Sometimes its also better as you dont get involved in the mandatory I’m faster than you games.

epicyclo

My ancestors have been going solo in these Highland mountains for millenia, and like them I can survive an unscheduled few days out.

I don’t want/need anyone to come along to hold my hand.

By the way, the mountains are not wilderness – they are depopulated areas as a result of genocide policies.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Dramatic music for ‘G’ drama building!

pantsonfire
    Free Member

By the way, the mountains are not wilderness – they are depopulated areas as a result of genocide policies.

Dont you just love this forum from solo cycling to the Highland clearances in one jump 🙂

CountZero

Watching it now, it’s Grizedale Forest. Very remote terrain.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Me too – I guess its not that remote but if you got a broken neck/severe inury still difficult to get to! I think there are some heated testosterone laden posts ere – I’m off 😉

G
    Free Member

Cheesyfeet – Member
    Dramatic music for ‘G’ drama building

Obviously the wilds of rural Essex are the kind of place I’m talking about Cheesy..

Now can you lot pack it in, still trying to close down the day at work, and this keeps tempting me to wind you lot up instead of getting off to the previously mentioned lovely, but increasingly impatient Mrs G, who incidentally, is very kindly driving me up to London Fields tomorrow night so I can look after her big Brother who has foolishly decided as a multiple heart attack victim and non cyclist to have a crack at the Dunwich Dynamo….. now off you go and pick the bones out of that!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Def. Amateur Rider with those shoes and trousers 😉 No criticism intended 😉

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Helmets save lives – FACT – it was on TV

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Its only a suspected broken back what a pansy everyone on this forum would just carry on we are all so hard and skillful

neilb67
    Free Member

“What did you think when you fell off”

“Oh bugger”

😆 😆

bruneep

*pulls up chair and awaits arrival of TJ*

Tea anyone?

CountZero

The lad is a 17yo Scout who came off at high speed and may have a broken back. He was with his Scout leader. So what happened to Scout map reading skilz and the ability to give a map reference then.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘MTB on BBC1 tonight / was it someone from here?’ is closed to new replies.