Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • MTB Marathon Races in the UK
  • rhyswainwright

So I’ve been doing some XC racing this summer, along with a splash of enduro, gravel and road and its got me thinking. I really enjoy the challenge of an ultra distance event so perhaps MTB Marathon is where I want to be!

What are the top events people have done across the MTB Marathon series or any other long MTB races 100+ miles? Any races coming up in the Autumn would be of particular interest…

intheborders
    Free Member

Also take a look at gravel events, some would suit an MTB.

scotroutes

Would you be interested in the long distance bikepacking events? Deeside Trail and Cairngorms Loop both have group starts in the next 4 weeks. Record for the latter is 18h 23m.

rhyswainwright

I’m doing the Dirty Reiver in September and can’t quite decide if I want to do that on a gravel (CX bike with 40mm tyres) or XC mountain bike. I really like the idea of supreme comfort over 200km rather than getting rattled to death with puncture preventative tyre pressures on my cross bike.

steve_b77
    Free Member

What are the top events people have done across the MTB Marathon series or any other long MTB races 100+ miles

Well you’re about a week too late for the Deadwater 100 which was the National Marathon Champs with an option of 100km Sportive and a 162km Sportive / Race.

The week prior to that was 24:12 in Plymouth, as the name suggests a 12 & 24hr race for solo, pairs, teams etc.

There’s the Kielder Chiller in October, another 24hr race.

I think there’s a 10hr coming up in the Scottish Borders.

The Scott MTB marathon series hasn’t been on this year and may return next year.

There were some Vittoria marathons in the SE somewhere over the summer.

You’re at the end of XC season now and rapidly heading towards CX I’m afraid.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

3 on my radar for next year:

Yorkshire MTB Marathon
    Vittoria MTB Marathon
    Deadwater 100

I’ve heard a rumour of a competitive (actual races rather than sportives) Marathon series in the works too.

As for this Autumn Gorrick (SE England) have a 6hr race mid September & then they’ve also announced dates for their Brass Monkeys Winter series (upto 4hrs).

Kryton57

There is a Gorrick 6hr on September the 12th and the 6hr Dirt Nocka at Cannock at the end of September still to go.

susepic

The early finishers in The Great British Divide were all riding Hard tails w frontsuspension rather than gravel bikes…… Maybe the comfort helped with the distance

speedstar

I definitely think gravel bike for the Reiver btw, having done it on both. There isn’t enough bumpy stuff to satisfy a mtb and I was definitely slower on it (Anthem 29er) whilst at the same time my rear end was probably more comfortable! Re long-distance mtb, the Glentress 7 is good for atmosphere and showing up lack of fitness.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘MTB Marathon Races in the UK’ is closed to new replies.