Home Forums Bike Forum MTB frame painters

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • MTB frame painters
  • Is there a current ‘go to’?

Thinking of having my Kenevo painted while it’s currently stripped down – would need the full prep and paint. Not decided on a colour yet.

And how do aftermarket paint jobs hold up compared to factory paint – not sure I can be bothered getting it invisiframed again?

tomhoward

JMJ designs have done amazing work for me, always invisiframed so can’t speak for how durable it is.

https://www.jmjdesigns.co.uk

A4605D1C-239C-47F6-ADB4-43B489F1B722CF7C64E6-0159-469D-9C19-B4A1FA3FA2A7
    80B2AA56-6402-4027-9D88-95AB1046F487

Very nice!

How much if you don’t mind me asking?

tomhoward

Pivot was around £400 I think, helmet £200, deviate (frame and fork, stripping back to raw carbon, loads of masking and finishing work to get the effects) about £1200.

I think a flat colour and contrasting logos is around £250-300

chakaping
    Free Member

Someone recommended this place to me, in Bury:

Atlantic Boulevard (atlantic-boulevard.co.uk)

bikerevivesheffield

£1200 to paint a frame 🥴

submarined
    Free Member

£1200 to paint a frame 🥴

Have you looked at what had been done, and tried to work out the hours involved? It’s a lot.

It’s not the 70s anymore, painting a large, relatively simple car panel to a decent standard doesn’t typically cost 200 quid. Extrapolate that out to the fiddly shapes involved in a bike frame, and then add in a complicated masking/airbrushing/hand painting job on top, and it’s not hard to see why it’s that much.

ads678

I got a rough quote for a powder coat of a full suss frame the other day and they said about £80 without seeing it, that was for metallic.

That was in Castleford, and I reckon you’d have to drop it off.

a11y

10 years ago I paid a local powdercoater £50 for a single colour on a steel frame. Expect that’d be significantly more now. I’d not trust him to do an aluminium or carbon (or any FSer) though – I heard of more than one frame failure afterwards following powercoating alu at the same place.

With any new paintjob I’d definitely be adding invisiframe or similar. I’d cry if I as much as dropped any of Tom’s bikes above.

bikerevivesheffield

Not disputing the work, just that paying £1200 to have a bike frame painted is mental in my world and financial situation

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d cry if I as much as dropped any of Tom’s bikes above.

One does have a “battle-damaged” paintjob anyway though, TBF

seriousrikk

I know Coal Bikes use http://blackcatcustompaint.co.uk/ who are well regarded

Tracey

We have had a few frames, Specialized, Santa Cruz and Giant, powdercoated at LSN in Castleford over the years.

All have been top quality.

Was up there last week with my daughter picking up a lot of parts that have been done for her MX5 restoration and the work is still first class

tomhoward

£1200 to paint a frame

No, read my post again, took him about a month remove all the bearings and seals, then to sand the frame and fork back to bare carbon/metal, then he had to design all the masking/stickers in order to do all the (four) layers of paint, then had to do all the detailing to make it look like raw metal, then refit everything so all I needed to do was bolt shiny bits to it.

Not cheap but good value, IMO.

The Powdercoater that did my Rå, whilst did a good job, took three goes and 2 frames to get it right.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.