Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • MTB clothes getting brighter and Roadies clothes getting darker?! UK
  • muddylegs
    Free Member

I had a near miss the other day with a roadie, day light hours, covered in black clothing. He/she was completely covered head to toe in the stuff (helmet included). My van has a bulk head and with only three windows to look out of the world out side can look like a dark place in the daylight hours. Surely some roadies are doing their self’s no favours riding around dressed in dark clothing this time of year. Is it that brighter colours are not so readily available for use on the road? Baffles me..

scotroutes

Sky…..
    Rapha…..

nickc

There are any number of studies that demonstrate that the colours cyclists wear have little impact. As a driver you’re either actively looking out for cyclists and peds, or you’re not.

Improve your attentiveness.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Rapha have always done subdued colours in winter, some of them look fabulous in the promo shots and wide open spaces or mountains, however in the real world maybe they are too dull.
    They have tried to incorporate reflective segments, which you can’t really see until a light is shone on it, still keeps the overall look subtle but adds more visual impact too.

I’ll agree though, dark colours are even darker in these grey foggy evenings..

jam-bo

My van has a bulk head and with only three windows to look out of the world out side can look like a dark place in the daylight hours.

Were you driving backwards?

Gary_M
    Free Member

My van has a bulk head and with only three windows to look out of the world out side can look like a dark place in the daylight hours

So you couldn’t see someone on the road because your van doesn’t have enough windows? And it’s their fault?

Have you had your eyes tested recently?

tomhoward

I’m amazed you missed all the black cars.

Ben_H

I hope that the OP’s van is bright yellow. 🙂

davidjey
    Free Member

Kettle’s on, leftover christmas Stollen anyone? Or there’s a few Roses at the bottom of the tub.

JoB
    Free Member

as a general fashion trend ‘roadie’ clothes are getting brighter and brighter, although some still like to wear darker shades, it’s their choice

as a frequent road rider over many many years it makes little difference what colour clothing i wear, drivers will still not see me no matter how many windows their vehicle has, or any other excuse they choose for not paying attention to other road users

scotroutes

It’s obvious that clothing colour makes little difference to noticeability. That’s why road workers all over the world wear camo and the military all wear dayglo.

beej

as a general fashion trend ‘roadie’ clothes are getting brighter and brighter, although some still like to wear darker shades, it’s their choice

Yep. Look at the Ale range.

It’s personal choice. I’m a fluro guy, though I try not to wear the shorts and jersey of this outfit together.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I hope that the OP’s van is bright yellow

Nah more likely white.

adsh
    Free Member

It’s obvious that clothing colour makes little difference to noticeability. That’s why road workers all over the world wear camo and the military all wear dayglo.

Exactly

scaredypants

meh. Camo is there to allow an individual to be indistinguishable against a particular background.
    From a driver’s persepective, other than at dusk or maybe riding through really dense forest, a rider’s background isn’t black. Regardless of what they’re wearing, in daylight hours a driver should easily be able to spot a figure on the road ahead of them well before it’s dangerous. Fluoro might get me seen sooner but I’m lucky enough never to have been nearly run over by a vehicle that’s 200 yards away

… and many of my daytime conversations with motorists start with “was it the bright jacket that stopped you seeing me, or the flashing lights ?” I’m not sure they matter as much assome suggest (I mostly wear them in preparation for the potential conversation with an insurer or defence lawyer)

scotroutes

and many of my daytime conversations with motorists start with “was it the bright jacket that stopped you seeing me, or the flashing lights ?

Do you also speak to all the drivers that did see you to ask what they noticed first?

Of course it’s every road users responsibility to look out for everyone else, but it’s churlish to deny that bright colours and lighting make it easier.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Of course it’s every road users responsibility to look out for everyone else, but it’s churlish to deny that bright colours and lighting make it easier.

All road users to wear dayglow in their dayglow cars, vans and trucks ? After all they seem to hit each other a lot

scaredypants

Do you also speak to all the drivers that did see you to ask what they noticed first?

no, it’s a pointless question unless my identical twin, dressed in black also asked drivers how far away he was when they saw him – as I said, by the time they’re within 50-100yd they should’ve seen either of us anyway and not doing so would be due to failure to look appropriately

Massive flashing superbright offroad lights in the dark would get you noticed from half a mile away by drivers but that’s unnecessary

T1000
    Free Member

IMHO bright clothing helps, however lots of the motorists I work with appear to believe that cyclists, peds and horse riders should wear lots of dayglo colours. However when I say fine I’ll back that as long as your car is painted a statistically safe colour then they tend to start ranting about personal choice?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

It’s the age of austerity init …!!

Know fact …. in economic down turns clothes get brighter.

And as most roadies are contrarian in nature … that’s a little cr4p joke but may well be true…. their clothes do the opposite .

plus-one

I’m a dark kit roadie 😳 only ride daylight hours though ..

I did have few colourful bits but winter grime ruins them 🙄

But yeah attentive driving is the main thing for motorists

scrumfled
    Free Member

There are any number of studies that demonstrate that the colours cyclists wear have little impact.

Got any links?

flap_jack
    Free Member

Black cars have more accidents

I bet this transfers to bikes.

xico
    Free Member

It’s obvious that clothing colour makes little difference to noticeability. That’s why road workers all over the world wear camo and the military all wear dayglo

Well said!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

There are any number of studies that demonstrate that the colours cyclists wear have little impact. As a driver you’re either actively looking out for cyclists and peds, or you’re not.

Of course you can supply links to these many studies. You can, can’t you?

Camo is there to allow an individual to be indistinguishable against a particular background.
    From a driver’s persepective, other than at dusk or maybe riding through really dense forest, a rider’s background isn’t black.

But in low light or fog, it’s arguably quite dark.

As a sidenote, the Vietcong wore black too, as did the SAS when assaulting the Iranian embassy. And ninjas. Just saying.

Edit: did it really take me 18 mins to write that?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

But yeah attentive driving is the main thing for motorists

I do agree, but which is the easier option?

1. Wear bright clothing and use lights to make yourself more visible to motorists in low-light conditions
    2. Make every driver in the world more attentive, all the time while driving.

scaredypants

But in low light or fog, it’s arguably quite dark.

Yes – see, I did mention dusk after stating that I (and the OP) was talking about daylight riding. And dusk/fog are examples of when REFLECTIVE gear is helpful in being seen but fluoro unlikely to be

As a sidenote, the Vietcong wore black too

you know, I did mention forests (and I’m not sure that most of them wore a recognisable uniform anyway)

as did the SAS when assaulting the Iranian embassy

Hard to blend in there – I guess that’s why surprise and smoke/stun grenades were needed

And ninjas. Just saying.

You can have that one
    From the geezer who wore a wig in an earlier study:

This study looked at whether drivers overtaking a bicyclist changed the proximities of their passes
    in response to the level of experience and skill signalled by the bicyclist’s appearance. Five outfits
    were tested, ranging from a stereotypical sport rider’s outfit, portraying high experience and skill, to
    a vest with ‘novice cyclist’ printed on the back, portraying low experience. A high-visibility
    bicycling jacket was also used, as were two commercially available safety vests, one featuring a
    prominent mention of the word ‘police’ and a warning that the rider was video-recording their
    journey, and one modelled after a police officer’s jacket but with a letter changed so it read
    ‘POLITE’. An ultrasonic distance sensor recorded the space left by vehicles passing the bicyclist on
    a regular commuting route. 5690 data points fulfilled the criteria for the study and were included in
    the analyses. The only outfit associated with a significant change in mean passing proximities was
    the police/video-recording jacket. Contrary to predictions, drivers treated the sports outfit and the
    ‘novice cyclist’ outfit equivalently, suggesting they do not adjust overtaking proximity as a function
    of a rider’s perceived experience. Notably, whilst some outfits seemed to discourage motorists from
    passing within 1 metre of the rider, approximately 1-2% of overtakes came within 50 cm no matter
    what outfit was worn. This suggests there is little riders can do, by altering their appearance, to
    prevent the very closest overtakes; it is suggested that infrastructural, educational or legal measures
    are more promising for preventing drivers from passing extremely close to bicyclists

ferrals
    Free Member

this time of year I use a rear light all the time, much more useful than coloured clothing IMO (though I tend to wear colourful stuff anyway) as it’s attention grabbing.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

There are any number of studies that demonstrate that the colours cyclists wear have little impact

I don’t buy that. Another thing that irritates me is those ‘road grey’ coloured cars, flipping heck they really are a danger.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

you know, I did mention forests (and I’m not sure that most of them wore a recognisable uniform anyway)

I’ll carry a brightly coloured reflective top to quickly pop on for the wooded sections of any road ride then, but otherwise wear hi-definition black. Sorted!

I would go into the Vietcong uniform and whether it is technically one or not, but we should probably save it for another day. 😉

Northwind

Dark colours only really make much difference if the bike also has no lights, IMO. So it’s shame the two seem to go hand in hand really.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Some interesting points of view there. I just think that surely wearing some sort of colour other than a dark colour on a grey day might improve your visibility and possibly be seen sooner rather than later it would be worth it. Regardless of any studies I think if I still rode on the road for long periods of time I wouldn’t dress in black head to toe.

chakaping
    Free Member

My van has a bulkhead too, I don’t notice any problems – but then I don’t drive in town much. How did your near miss happen?

There are any number of studies that demonstrate that the colours cyclists wear have little impact

I don’t buy that. Another thing that irritates me is those ‘road grey’ coloured cars, flipping heck they really are a danger.

I think another way of presenting the results in question could be “most drivers are surprisingly good at spotting cyclists” and the ones that are shit are shit anyway.

There was similar data for close passes IIRC. Some drivers are just dicks.

I don’t often ride in dark clothes myself, but I get angry when I see a defence lawyer trying to make lack of hi-vis clothing an issue when someone’s been killed by a driver in broad daylight.

muddylegs
    Free Member

I not suggesting that we all walk around in hi-viz jackets, just simply wear zummit bright on the road. What has anyone got to lose. As for the bulk the head I’m just a wear that the light emitted into the cab is not as good as a vehicle with more windows on dull days. By the way the above issue is out on the open road not the in town.

dovebiker

Years of riding have taught me that attire makes no difference to the wilful blindness of some drivers – I had someone exit a dual-carriageway onto a empty roundabout and missed broadsiding me by a foot, despite me wearing a dayglo jacket, which I’d only reluctantly put on because of the foggy conditions.

raymeridians
    Free Member

“training aircraft are to be painted black to make them stand out more clearly against the sky”

Much like a cyclist from the PoV of a seated car driver.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/safety-first-as-raf-paints-planes-black-1146643.html

Northwind

raymeridians – Member

“training aircraft are to be painted black to make them stand out more clearly against the sky”

That might apply after you’ve been run over and you’re on the windscreen, but it’s a bit late then.

slamdog
    Free Member

raymeridians – Member

Yeah assuming zero buildings or other things by the side of the road.

Now admittedly not from a seated view inside of a car, but yeah, these two guys are like silhouettes compared to the lovely blue background of the sky:

scotroutes

In WW2 the USAF fitted powerful lights to the front of their ASW aircraft so that they couldn’t be seen against the bright Pacific sky.

scaredypants

Now admittedly not from a seated view inside of a car, but yeah, these two guys are like silhouettes compared to the lovely blue background of the sky:

two guys ?
    I can’t see anyone – I bet they’ve forgotten to put on hi-viz eh ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘MTB clothes getting brighter and Roadies clothes getting darker?! UK’ is closed to new replies.