• This topic has 36 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Any other mtbr's Love GCN, Dislike GMBN?
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I would mainly consider myself a mountain biker but probably spend equal time on the road bike. I have absolutely no interest in road racing or mtb racing but I really enjoy watching GCN. I can’t stand watching GMBN though I find it a bit cringeworthy and trying too hard. Anyone else feel similar?

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Concur.
    In mitigation though, some of the early GCN videos were pretty grim!.
    Maybe they’ll get better with time?

andysredmini
    Free Member

How long have they been on? I have probably followed GCN for about a year now.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I like both. But GMBN probably isn’t representing the whole sport where as GCN covers everything from a weekend rider to people who are racing.

I think GMBN will get there.

tomaso
    Free Member

What do these acronyms mean?

postierich
    Free Member

Come on Tom you know!!!

jekkyl

GCN = Global cycling network
    https://www.youtube.com/user/globalcyclingnetwork

GMBN = Global Mtbing Network
    https://www.youtube.com/user/globalmtb

I like gmbn, found some of their videos very useful. Like to sit on the front of thr saddle when ascending, never knew that!

Kuco

Really like GCN and don’t really bother with GMBN.

simondbarnes

I’ve never heard of either.

SaxonRider

GCN for me.

I think GMBN did something on fat bikes at some point that I enjoyed, but beyond that, the quality of presentation just isn’t the same.

crosshair
    Free Member

Definitely agree. GMBN is awful. Given up with it now.
    GCN is very slick but ought to be with their resources.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Too many videos on GMBN,they sometimes they post 3 new ones in the same day!!Donny is a really nice lad (in real life too) but him and the other lad don’t really have ‘it’ for presenting….unlike Martin Ashton.
    Still not as painful as the Tv one with Doddy and the girl though.

sirromj

Baggies for me.

km79
    Free Member

A bad MTB video is still better than a good road/cycling video.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Watch both. Prefer gmbn.

ac282

GCN for me. The videos just seen much more well made.

Still not sure how their finances can work though. There doesn’t seem to be enough adverts to pay for it.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Gmbn for me.

ulysse
    Free Member

GMBN, Love it, love martin Ashton, him Donny and Scotty are the next best thing to MTB presenting, after Rob Warner

stewartc
    Free Member

Gmbn for me

+1

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

As this is turning into a survey then + another for GCN, but also for hoping GMBN improves with time and experience.

I’m surprised how much decent quality content GCN can turn out, with their various series (how to’s, training, top 5/10s etc) they’re putting interesting stuff out near daily.

Theyve also worked together long enough to have chemistry and character roles (Si the geek, Matt the clown, Dan the grumpy boss, Tom the picked-on noob).

chakaping
    Free Member

Still not sure how their finances can work though. There doesn’t seem to be enough adverts to pay for it.

They get a revenue share from YouTube.

Disclaimer: Not that I know whether they’re making anything.

Only watched a few myself, agree that Martyn Ashton is clearly the star of the show. A proper career in TV awaits I reckon.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I was thinking about this more last night and came up with a few reasons. GCN doesn’t take itself too seriously, the 3 presenters have good chemistry and seem to be enjoying themselves messing around riding bikes. GMBN seems to take itself far too seriously for what is essentially riding round the woods in pointless circles. It’s very dull and boring to watch and is the reason I rarely watch it.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

both are good but GMBN i guess is newer so has yet to find it’s place and gel perhaps?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Noticed how they only ride bikes and kit from certain brands? It’s not by accident.

andywoodall
    Free Member

GMBN for me, have watched a few GCN’s and its all well and good but thats not my sport so holds little for me.

I rather like the amateur (I mean that in a very polite way) presenting, it feels more like how MTB’ers talk to each other out riding and entirely fits in with the image of the sport to me.

MTB content on youtube is patchy at best, so regular (they post a vid a day, not three), decent quality high res video’s is a godsend. The fact that its UK based, with real riders, and is hugely popular, is something we should be proud about, IMHO.

gelert
    Free Member

GMBN for me too. Really good videos IMO. Down to earth. Some good verses videos. The technique videos are very helpful as are some of the maintenance ones for reference sometimes.

I did have a spell a while back watching quite a few GCN videos too and enjoyed them although I’ve never ridden a road bike and never intend to. I like the factory tour vids they do and anything testing retro v modern. I take a look every now and again to see what looks interesting.

markgraylish
    Free Member

GCN excelled themselves with their recent Epic Rides video and the guys definitely enjoy great banter.
    Last time I watched GMBN (admittedly a few months ago) there wasn’t that rapport.

markgraylish
    Free Member

A bad MTB video is still better than a good road/cycling video.

This was filmed on road bikes but equally apply to mtb bikes, based on the amount of bull-shit generated by this forum. 😉

[video]https://youtu.be/Cp53RZcK8Es[/video]

robowns
    Free Member

Never owned a road bike, but only watch GCN. GMBN is a bit lacking.

matt_outandabout

I agree on some of the presenters lacking charisma. Coupled with same sat on a sofa view, some repeated lines etc, and it’s painful at times.
    Like the Mountain Bike Adventures on Bike channel. Really excruciating lack of charterer from the chap at times, the lady is more natural.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I really dislike road bikes and the whole roady elite culture so gmbn for me as it’s one of my sports and Martin is very very funny and always makes me laugh somewhere in the video. What we need is a separate place for road riders and then we can have a sole MTB section.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I really dislike road bikes and the whole roady elite culture

You need to get out more, plenty of snobbery in MTB, plenty of laid back people just riding and even racing road bikes, some people even ride both!

I like both shows, GCN is more refined as the presenter dynamic is better, find Martin some new mates and that will be great as well!

oldtalent
    Free Member

I really dislike road bikes and the whole roady elite culture so gmbn for me as it’s one of my sports and Martin is very very funny and always makes me laugh somewhere in the video. What we need is a separate place for road riders and then we can have a sole MTB section.

Like.
    But wont happen unfortunately. More than 2 subforums? are you insane?

onlysteel
    Free Member

Never heard of them. Probably an age thing.

project
    Free Member

The 4 lads on GCN remind me a junior Top gear Crew, all politically correctly trained though the humour and laughter is still there to laugh at. Some interesting stuff and weird topics covered but always a good watch, where as Gmbm seemed like 3 lads just reading a script badly with some poorly made videos interspersed to kep peeps attention.

oh and GCN are raising cash to buy bikes for africa, a great cause.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

GCN for me the roadie hater.

Kuco

More to the point if they raise 100% doesn’t Dan shave his head 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Any other mtbr's Love GCN, Dislike GMBN?’ is closed to new replies.