• This topic has 113 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Mrs Thatcher Funeral parties,
  • oldgit
    Free Member

hated the working class

That’s the only bit you are very wrong about. Look I’m no fool, I could have killed her myself with my bare hands back then. But she sure wanted people working, only unlike the Union lead parties, for profit. I wan’t so much a lap dog more of one of her Greyhounds.

I remember being bitter after buying a home like so many only to see her put interest rates up into the 15% mark. And for her sending my brother in law to the bottom of the Atlantic.

yunki
    Free Member

ahh..

it’s ok

you guys keep repressing the petty and spiteful side of human nature,

I guess it focusses the mind or something

johndoh
    Free Member

Strangely the Daily Mail didn’t get all outraged about this celebration of someone’s death.

That was wrong too. Death isn’t a reason to celebrate.

oldgit
    Free Member

No-one seems to be able to put forward an argument that gives any sort of fundamentally constructive reason for the negativity over the celebrations

I think the concern is that those wanting to party will take their parties to those mourning.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

grafter eh–keen to show how much you could do–currying favour with bosses–seen you r kind many times–wouldn’t want to be stuck in a life boat with that attitude–

dannyh
    Free Member

Didn’t one of the unions March in support of Enoch Powell after the ‘rivers of blood’ speech, by the way?

Just goes to show how transient party allegiance can be when it comes to furthering one’s own goals.

All this working class solidarity crap is laughable. What is the first thing someone from any ‘class’ or area does if they get a bit of cash? Move somewhere ‘better’. And rightly so. They do then tend to eulogise about their ‘roots’ a lot, to assuage their ‘guilt’.

Individual people. Individual values. Individual responsibility.

The notion of the gentry as some kind of cabal is also laughable. Given half the chance they’d knife each other in the back as well.

‘Them and us’ politics is lazy, obvious and childish.

johndoh
    Free Member

Agrees with dannyh – self-respect says it all.

grum
    Free Member

Individual people. Individual values. Individual responsibility.

Yes, there is no such thing as society. 🙄

rudebwoy
    Free Member

you petty tories are pityful really– in an ideal world you would get help for your strange selfish outlook– it is very unhealthy– true joy you will never know , i feel for you…..

dannyh
    Free Member

I didn’t say there was no such thing as society. There you go again. A group of reasonable people can get along just fine without having to draw tribal lines and say who’s in and who’s out. It just happens if the majority of people will it.

gordimhor

I think it is distasteful to celebrate her death, I also think that Mrs Thatcher as prime minister did many things that are a lot worse. Such as sinking the Belgrano, and many other things that various other posters have repeatedly cited.So vilifying people for being tasteless just seems to me to be another demonstration of the power of those whose interests she served. Big business and the wealthy.

aa
    Free Member

how do you show ‘dignity and respect’ for someone who never showed you any, any
    case the wider picture is being re-played here– people are expressing their contempt for
    a system that has sought to crush us at every opportunity whilst enriching them selves
    and their lap dogs….

EXACTLY THIS.

Thatcher preached the politics of greed and selfishness. There are many of us who believe in society, community, the’ us’. People openly showing their happiness of her death is insignificant to the deliberate harm she did to communities nationwide.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

grafter eh–keen to show how much you could do–currying favour with bosses–seen you r kind many times–wouldn’t want to be stuck in a life boat with that attitude–

Awesome, the ones who point out that the rest ore lazy are always hated for ruining the party for the others.

chewkw
    Free Member

grum – Member

Strangely the Daily Mail didn’t get all outraged about this celebration of someone’s death.

That link of yours with people celebrating in Washington DC … well … 😆 FFS! If you intend to use that example at least remember Peter Griffin. Anyone celebrating in the UK with that similar headline?

Margaret Thatcher tried to nurse back the sick man of Europe from downward spiral of long term self abuse but people are just too addicted to the “good” life. She was doomed from the start as the sick man of Europe was already dying … With Thatcher you have a chance …

Nick

Seems to me that Maggie, in death as in life, brings out the worst in people.

richpips
    Free Member

LOL I was paid to do a days work, there’s no favour just an obligation.
    Work = Money a fair trade.

You are right though with the life boat though. You’d drown.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

All this working class solidarity crap is laughable. What is the first thing someone from any ‘class’ or area does if they get a bit of cash? Move somewhere ‘better’. And rightly so. They do then tend to eulogise about their ‘roots’ a lot, to assuage their ‘guilt’.

Fail– we have a millionare on this estate– self made sort of thing– he employs a few people and works alongside them–he will not move through choice– as he says , all my friends and family are here–why would i want to go?– unless every one else can share in the wealth, then whats the point ?

yunki
    Free Member

I think the concern is that those wanting to party will take their parties to those mourning.

I wish I could believe that, although I’m sure that it’s true of a tiny minority..

I’ve got my arse in my hands over this because I believe that this is a far more accurate reason

vilifying people for being tasteless just seems to me to be another demonstration of the power of those whose interests she served.

😕

rudebwoy
    Free Member

You are right though with the life boat though. You’d drown.

i did eight years in the merchant navy–so possibly you might be wrong there 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

rudebuoy

yunki
    Free Member

😀

whitegoodman
    Free Member

Half you lot are arguing without knowing what it was even like to be young and working class, to be told if you so much as picked up a pencil up on the stone the comp hands would all walk out, because they were in Sogat and you were NGA..

To have the lights go out and you couldn’t work, because they wouldn’t dig up the coal even though they were very well paid they hadn’t had an inflation busting 36% rise.

I can’t wait for Scargill to go, I’ll organise a street party over in Betteshanger (ex coal mine), it’s a bike park now, maybe invite some of you Northern lefties down and you can see what the last lot did to Deal when they came to work down here.

She broke trade unionism, I was a branch secretary, I’m glad she did it, had never voted Tory in my life until this last go round to rid the world of Brown, `I’m SDP if anything but hate Cleggs with an equal ferocity.

If you were there, if you lost your job you have a right to hate, but half the idiots in the press weren’t even in nappies back then, they’re just attention seeking tossers with no respect, that’s all she wrote.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

anyhows –i meed to get some ugly sleep– got some heavy partying coming up 8)

rudebwoy
    Free Member

kent miners– met some in ramsgate, good lads– supported the seamen when we were attacked in 87– proper trade unionists –never cross a picket…

RustySpanner

Deleted – I don’t even want to be associated with the Thatcher apologists on this thread.

zokes
    Free Member

had never voted Tory in my life until this last go round to rid the world of Brown

Well, that clearly worked well. Remind me again: hows boom time with cmd and Gideon?

Oh….

yunki
    Free Member

If you were there, if you lost your job you have a right to hate

It goes much much further than that though.. for my generation she was ‘the bogeyman’ the symbol of the enemy..

Even without all the deep politics

I was born in the early 70s so grew up in a house (in Devon.. very very poor) where Thatcher was cursed openly, Greenham common, the peace convoys, Brixton riots, Spitting Image, general strikes and picket lines, that was our Sunday evening TV and then when I was an impressionable teen we had Poll Tax riots and The CJB

This is just the dramatic stuff that you might notice as a kid

Thatcher was the symbol of all of that.. The boss.. She was the bogeyman.. a Guy Fawkes or Jack the Ripper

I think people are entitled to have a knees up.. and.. AND, if she really is the benevolent angel that some are making out, I don’t think she’d begrudge us it either

whitegoodman
    Free Member

zokes – Member
    had never voted Tory in my life until this last go round to rid the world of Brown
    Well, that clearly worked well. Remind me again: hows boom time with cmd and Gideon?

Oh.
    I’ve lost nearly everything I’ve ever worked for thanks, nothing to do with Thatcher though.

I hate them almost as much as I hate Blair for giving me hope then dashing it and Brown for just being a sanctimonious idiot.

And tell me, who should I vote for now then UKIP?

I’m politically disenfranchised, there is no hope.

zokes
    Free Member

I’m politically disenfranchised, there is no hope.

Especially not when had country is led by a government that seemed to be trying to distance itself from Thatcherism only a couple of weeks ago, presumably because she wasn’t right wing enough.

user-removed
    Free Member

if they dismantle the welfare state & NHS)

The dismantling of the NHS is a done deal. You may not have noticed but that’s because you weren’t meant to. The very second Price, Waterhouse and Cooper got involved, there was no going back.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Won’t go to any myself, but i wouldn’t criticise anyone for it. I shall be joining the celebrations at the fitba tomorrow.

whitegoodman
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    If you were there, if you lost your job you have a right to hate
    It goes much much further than that though.. for my generation she was ‘the bogeyman’ the symbol of the enemy..

Even without all the deep politics

I was born in the early 70s so grew up in a house (in Devon.. very very poor) where Thatcher was cursed openly, Greenham common, the peace convoys, Brixton riots, Spitting Image, general strikes and picket lines, that was our Sunday evening TV and then when I was an impressionable teen we had Poll Tax riots and The CJB

This is just the dramatic stuff that you might notice as a kid

Thatcher was the symbol of all of that.. She was the bogeyman.. a Guy Fawkes or Jack the Ripper

I think people are entitled to have a knees up.. and.. AND, if she really is the benevolent angel that some are making out, I don’t think she’d begrudge us it either

All granted and understood but then dues have been paid she lost her office in humiliation, entire lives have been lived since, new motorways and everything, 12 yrs of dementia as well wasn’t it?
    The OP asked is it right to hold street parties to drive in the stake, I say it paints those that do in a pretty poor light and that there is something pretty damn evil going on, kind of reverse Diana mawkishness, ‘look at me I’m grieving’, turned ‘look at me I hate her as well who was she again?’

Sad sad morons.

yunki
    Free Member

‘look at me I’m grieving’, turned ‘look at me I hate her as well who was she again?’

I guess then.. that whenever some massively wealthy excruciatingly posh bint from the ruling elite pops their clogs, we can expect folk to go out in the street for a get together, maybe it will be for a sneer and jeer, or a crocodile tear..

what is says to me, is that folk are crying out for a reason to get together in the street for a bit of a knees up, or for a bit of moment to share..

maybe that’s the real issue we should be trying to think about here..?

Drac

Monitoring one thread on this subject is hard enough so this is being closed, you can carry on the current thread but play nice.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/thatchers-gone-according-to-bbc/page/41#post-4886779

Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Mrs Thatcher Funeral parties,’ is closed to new replies.