Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mouth Ulcers – Caffeine Realted?
  • timthetinyhorse

Can mouth ulcers be related to drinking too much caffeine?

I suffer with them pretty regular and im trying to work out what it is that causes them!

spence
    Free Member

Being over tired/run down is the usual cause for me.

jimjam
    Free Member

Your probably run down, but unless you have some sort of ferocious caffeine intake I can’t see it being just that. I used to have quite a fiendish redbull/rockstar habbit and only really suffered from mouth ulcers if I’d not slept right for a few days on the trot from work or boozing.

jekkyl

I suffer from them because of the drugs I have to take for my back. Tried all sorts of remedies and found these to be the best.
    http://www.oralmedic.co.uk/
    get a load in, lots of fun when you apply it and your mouth startings running with salivia so do it over a sink. It literally burns them off but there’s no pain.

epicyclo

I used to get a lot of mouth ulcers when I drank a lot of coffee. Was told by someone that too much caffeine depletes Vit B levels and makes you prone to mouth ulcers.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I started taking Vit B and haven’t had a mouth ulcer since. Probably should be taken with Vit C.

jam-bo

Do you use Whitening toothpaste? I used to get loads of mouth ulcers and now rarely now I avoid it.

joeegg
    Free Member

I used to get pretty severe mouth ulcers and they seemed to occur after having acidic food and drinks.As i’ve got older they have more or less stopped and its very rare for me to get one now.

timthetinyhorse

Some interesting points, im full bore at work however dont fins it much of a stress, tinyhorse jnr has been sleeping full nights now for about four month 7:30pm to 6:30am so sleep aint too much of an issue unless i have been on the beer and then of course i have a rough night but i dont drink a great deal so not sure its that.
    I use whitening tooth paste if the wife buys it although at the moment i have no idea!
    I can go months and be fine then get hot with two or three at the same time, nothing i cant deal with bit drives me up the wall!!
    I drink a lot of black coffee so thats why i thought they could be linked.
    Might try Vit B and see if i see any change 🙂

dudeofdoom

+1 Being over tired/run down..

Easy to do if your riding a lot….

dbcooper
    Free Member

I get them if I get a cold, blocked nose=mouth breathing=ulcer.
    The best cure is hylauronic acid found in this mouthwash.

http://www.boots.com/en/Gengigel-Mouthrinse-150ml_13858/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyaluronan

acsevens

I’ve suffered from the f things for years – not pleasant when you get a bad one.

I think different things trigger them for different people, but I’d say being tired / run down defintitely has an impact.

Also, changing toothbrushes frequently seems to have reduced mine. I think the bristles on older brushes can cause abrasions, which then turn into ulcers.

And white wine seems to trigger mine, though its not too much of hardship to replace it with beer.

midlifecrashes

Can be viral too.

timthetinyhorse

Thanks for all of the replies, Im hoping its nothing to do with coffee as its my drink of choice!

TheWrongTrousers

I used to get loads of them, never one at time but 4 or 5 really evil buggers all at the same time.
    Then I read somewhere about a chemical used in toothpaste causing mouth ulcers called Sodium Laurel Sulphate (‘scuse the spelling).
    It’s a foaming agent apparently.
    The only toothpaste I can find that doesn’t contain this is Sensodyne Gentle Whitening, so I swapped over to that and now get far fewer ulcers than before and never as bad when I do get them.
    I’d give that a try if I were you.

andrewni
    Free Member

Ibuprofen gives me mouth ulcers within hours of taking even just two tablets

Cougar

I think mine used to be down to vitamin deficiencies. When I was younger I had a very poor diet, and used to get them a lot unless I took a vitamin supplement. Now I’ve sorted my diet out I’ve not had one since.

With the caveat this is entirely anecdotal of course.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’d say one cause of mouth ulcers is having your fingers in your mouth. I used to have them all the time when I was a kid, and apparently I was always being told to get my fingers out of my gob. Years later when I began flossing my teeth I started getting them again.

steviep
    Free Member

My wife and I both suffered badly with ulcers but after changing to a SLS free toothpaste (sensodyne) we have had hardly any, and as The wrong trousers says they dont last for half as long.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mouth Ulcers – Caffeine Realted?’ is closed to new replies.