Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Action Cameras – anyone own a Sony model?
  • gribble
    Free Member

Hi,

I have posted before on this topic, so apologies for the repeat posting. See my previous rambles under my profile history. I want to get a head/action cam thing for mucking about with, which will include mountain biking, filming our daughter growing up and such like. Going to get it from John Lewis, as I have vouchers.

I like the look of GoPro cameras, which are everywhere. The range goes from good value to top end, so there is a camera for most budgets. I had previously thought of going for a Silver 3+, having thought it was worth the investment over the basic starter sub £100 model.

Now I am not so sure and am considering either of the following:

GoPro Silver 3+ (£200)
    GoPro Silver 4 (which is slightly better and has a screen)(£270?)
    Sony hdr-as100vr (includes wrist wifi control) £230

I like the idea of being able so shoot in slow motion and linking into wifi, which all of the above can do to some extent.

I think the GoPro has the advantage in being able to get mounts and accessories widely for the unit, but then the Sony comes with built in image stabilization, which is supposed to be good. If anyone says absolutely don’t go for a Sony, I will cross it off the list, but I think the latest model from them is supposed to work well.

Any thoughts?

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I have the older AS-30 Sony and no issues with it. Would love the remote. They’re reviewed in this months (possibly last months) mag. I think the Sony came highly recommended.

devs
    Free Member

AS30 with wifi control on your phone is great. It’s just not good for chest mount.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gribble
    Free Member

Ashy, many thanks. I have just picked up a copy of STW from the local shop. 😀

Interesting to see so many compared together and get the opinion of someone who has actually used one.

Did you have to buy separate mounts to get yours set up for mountainbiking – I don’t think it comes with a helmet mount.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I bought the chest mount and a cheap mount off Amazon that fits via the universal tripod mount on the bottom of the camera. I’ve been more than happy with mine.

kimbers

As30 here, very happy

Raymond

AS30 here as well, I bought it over the go pro for the image stabilisation which is very good. Can’t really fault it, bought a spare battery but never used it.

poah
    Free Member

got an AS30, the case fogs up really quickly. I’d not buy one again. footage is fine but case and attachments are poor compared to gopro. if you don’t want 1080p 60fps get the cheap gopro

gribble
    Free Member

have ordered a sony and an SDXC 64GB card – will get a gopro mounts adaptor, depending upon what comes in the box. looking forward to playing with it.

thanks all for the advice.

DickBarton

I posted on the sj4000 thread to a whole host of mounts and a chest mount. Both cheap…about a tenner each. Box of mounts fit gopro but it has a standard mount adapter.
    Also have posted before about an adapter that fits gopro mounts and has a standard thread so you could mount a camera to a gopro clamp.
    On phone so no links but the chest mount is a gopro copy and appears to be identical to real thing. Box of mounts all work very well as well.
    With the standard thread mount it means all the gopro mounts can be utilised without using a gopro camera.

DickBarton

The chest mount – http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LUKL846?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

The box of mounts – http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JEUMHYE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Mainly for the GoPro but with the standard thread adapter, then any camera can use the mounts.

aardvarkissues
    Free Member

Got a AS100 with the remote – camera is very usable and the remote with the screen is really good and I’d say better than the gopro/app wifi.

Video quality of the Sony not quite up to the same standard as the 4 Silver which I’ve got too, but not a lot in it. Image stabilisation is good for some things, but not so great for on bike footage as it has quite a weird quality to it. Fortunately you can turn it off.

Added plus for the Sony is it’s water resistant without the housing.

Mounts are a bit clunky, but there’s quite a few options now, but nowhere near the same variety as you can get for the GoPros.

arcadian
    Free Member

I’ve had the AS15 for about 18 months now, really good footage from it – good deail 1080p and steady rather than shaky/blurry even in rough terrain. Slowmo on it is cool, as is the wifi link up (only ever used the wifi remote phone app to spy on the dog so we could see what would happen if he were left alone in a room with a nice slice of ham).

Lack of mount options is a pain, bodged a side mount for the full face and bought a handlebar mount after xmas with amazon vouchers.

scotroutes

There are loads of cheap tripod-screw/Gopro adapters on ebay. Just fit one of them to the Sony and you can use all the usual mounts.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Action Cameras – anyone own a Sony model?’ is closed to new replies.