Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mountain Biking Travel Insurance with Pre-Existing Medical
  • poonprice
    Free Member

Hi all,

Im off to the Alps this weekend and i’m trying to sort out my travel insurance, one problem, I broke my collarbone 10 weeks ago and it’s not healed so potentially need surgery. The collarbone doesn’t give me any major problems and i’m able to ride.

Anyone else ever had to take out travel insurance with a pre existing medical condition? I’ve phoned a couple of companies and they will insure me but not my collarbone. I’d rather pay more and have complete cover, does anyone know of any companies that will do this?

Thanks in advance

michaelbowden

I don’t think you will get anyone to cover the collarbone, if you do the premium will be huge. (some inside knowlegde of travel insurance here)

poonprice
    Free Member

Hi Michael,

What would you say is huge? Normal single trip policies are under £50 for quite decent cover so are you talking like £150 or £500? or more.

Can you point me in the direction of a company to enquire at?

michaelbowden

I can’t point you towards one that may cover you I’m afraid. But I would have thought you’d be in the £hundreds. Based on any fall is likely to break it again, and if you’re already close to surgery a fall is almost certainly going to need it. That and most alpine resports have ‘deals’ with private clinics so that’s where you get taken, means the costs would be significant.

Tracey

I damaged my shoulder and could only get cover excluding it. Its now been reconstructed 6 months and still cant get it covered. Never let it stop me going to the Alps.

Katie had major back surgery 2 years ago which now has two titanium rods the full length of her spine. Still cant get any cover to include her spine area.

Abigale has the same condition which hasnt resulted in surgery yet and she has full cover.

We found Snowcard cover was the best we could get

Northwind

As far as sport-specific ones go, Dogtag didn’t really seem to understand the question and wouldn’t commit to anything in writing. Snowcard were much better and gave clear layman’s terms explanations in writing.

Mine is a bit simpler- I’m diabetic and osteoperotic, so they strike a balance- they don’t cover my everyday care but do cover emergencies emerging. I don’t know if you’d have any luck getting them to cover the shoulder for the surgery that’s “pending” but covering everything else should be doable.

poonprice
    Free Member

Cheers for your replies…

Looks like i’ll have just have to exclude my collar bone in the cover and ride with care…

Anyone know if Bourg St Maurice hospital accepts E111? 🙂

kayak23

I take meds for depression. Dogtag would insure me for a trip I’m about to do but won’t cover me for anything related to that…
    So if I crash my bike and break a leg because I’m a bit sad, it’s not covered… 🙂

shifter
    Free Member

Columbus were happy to cover me snowboarding 6 months after a disco’d shoulder – worth a try.

gears_suck
    Free Member

I had a minor stroke two weeks before my vacation and that in addition to asthma resulted in a quote for insurance of £2949.00. Not surprising I guess.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Biking Travel Insurance with Pre-Existing Medical’ is closed to new replies.