• This topic has 358 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 359 total)
  • Is it just me or is this place boring?
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

Used to frequent this place cos it was full of ideas and people going off on their opinions. You’ve got to love a forum nutter mouthing off on one and creating a bit of debate. Now it’s back to boring. I pop in here now and again, and it’s a fabulous place to find out about bikey stuff. But I Miss TJ, Fred all those grumpy ****. bring ’em back! make this place interesting again!

CountZero

I think you might need to look a little deeper, plenty of opinions, less ranting.

Kevevs
    Free Member

maybe CZ. I don’t come here that often anymore.I do like a good rant though!

CountZero

Beware the mod that is Cougar… 😉

zokes
    Free Member

Door / arse interface should be avoided upon exit etc…

somafunk

I believe there was a thread yesterday regarding a washing diary for technical clothing?, if that’s not ripe for a few good natured opinions to be thrown about to open the debate up i dunno?….

Ambrose

I liked it the way it was, but I prefer it this way.

The ‘Banned’ would often become so argumentative and self- rightious that their ideas were perceived as agression. TBH, I believe that often it was, it was properly nasty at times.

The site is great for bikey and random ideas and odd questions. If you want a truly aggressive argument though I’d hope that you’d go elsewhere.

That is all.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I will refrain from saying anything else. I am right of course. 😉 I think somafunk has it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Miss TJ

oo er Miss?

Perhaps to appease the trolls/serial arguers someone could develop a self replying thread that just picks posts up from the archives every time you post.

chewkw
    Free Member

You guys abuse too many hang bags that’s why.

He is a nice guy just that you take his ideals too seriously.

He usually gave up debating with me after a while for whatever reasons … Might just be the Dear Leader he gave up on. 😆

Kevevs
    Free Member

It’s complicated, shouldn’t have started this. I just want to see a bit of comedy and banter and less of the boredom… ooh my wheels are so big!

Northwind

If you find yourself thinking that everyone in a place is boring, remember you’re there too 😉

But yeah I think it used to be better. But then everything used to be better.

chewkw
    Free Member

Kevevs – Member

It’s complicated, shouldn’t have started this. I just want to see a bit of comedy and banter and less of the boredom… ooh my wheels are so big!

There should be some serious debates on certain topics but deep down you just need to keep things open minded, after all this is not a “public” forum but own by STW and they have a reputation to keep. We need to respect that. 🙂

I never find this place boring but (actually the opposite very interesting with weird characters all over) again perhaps I have not much to say or keep things simple … :mrgreen:

Kevevs
    Free Member

yeah whatever…….

TooTall
    Free Member

So you wish to be entertained but do sweet FA yourself to make it more interesting other than whinge that it isn’t entertaining any more?

Well let us all rally round and sing and dance for your delight then 😕

Kevevs
    Free Member

ignore! I suppose I’m a bitch for old interesting stw debates.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Yep. It used to be better. These days I can barely be bothered to log in and post a repl

zokes
    Free Member

I suppose the pub analogy really works quite well here.

1) popular pub with a few regulars
    2) regulars get a bit too comfortable
    3) a few too many complaints come in about a couple of regulars and the landlord asks them to leave as they’re putting people off
    4) repeat (3) a few too many times and soon the atmosphere that attracted people to the pub in the first place is gone
    5) people go to another pub

Getting (3) right is always going to be difficult to avoid (4) & (5).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The pub analogy is a pisspoor one imo. Unless of course your local is a meeting place for open discussion and exchange of ideas. In which case I would avoid like the plague. The thought of ill informed opinions being generously lubricated with alcohol sounds particularly unappealing to me.

Kryton57

There’s still those that chooses to go on personal tirades, as happened to me yesterday. I just tend to ignore it but it does spoil the threads.

There’s quite a bit if good discussion here though.

gordimhor

I thought that one of the best things about a good pub was the wide range of opinions of all types well informed, ill informed and just plain daft that you might hear. However I also think pubs used to be better than they are. I suspect that it is mostly due to the high cost of draught beer 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

You are traffic.

JCL
    Free Member

It’s definitely too PC/heavily moderated.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pfffft.

It’s so boring, and the sun is shining. So, I’m off to the Surrey Hills instead. Bye!

unklehomered
    Free Member

I liked it the way it was, but I prefer it this way.

its the minority view but I’m in this camp, I used to bob in then go for months at a time, I realised in the last few months I’ve stayed…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You are traffic.

Yes, but we have been forced into cycle lanes

xcgb
    Free Member

Still keeps me from doing my work!

I have always had good advice on here and some entertainment too, cant be bad

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Pfffft.
    It’s so boring, and the sun is shining. So, I’m off to the Surrey Hills instead. Bye!

That will make it a little less boring today then. 🙂

patriotpro
    Free Member

It’s still good for random meaninglessness 🙂

binners

Fred now offers a subscription-only service where he can abuse you via the medium of the text message.

You can use my account if you want. The password is ‘Suarez’ 😀

ononeorange

Generally good, I do miss some of those but not when they would use any discussion to descend into petty name-calling which is just tiresome. It still happens occasionally and I just stop reading the thread when it does.

A few too many egos remain on here though, for me. For instance, anyone daring to mention that there is something that they find difficult on a bike can be leapt on and derided by someone who apparently has super-human skills.

Cougar

Beware the mod that is Cougar…

Give over, I’m lovely. (-:

However,

It’s definitely too PC/heavily moderated.

I’m genuinely staggered that you believe that. Anyone else?

I don’t really want this to descend into another discussion about moderation or another Fred and Barney debate, but really, moderation is pretty gentle. The ratio of stuff that actually gets moderated to the amount of reports we receive (often for frankly daft reasons) is quite small. We let lots of stuff go, the recent risqué music video as a random example. We try and keep things civil, but you can’t seriously think that’s “excessive” can you? Do you want the forum to be another Mlehworld?

The most argumentative users were banned a little while ago because they proved unable to self-moderate their behaviour despite continual requests and warnings. Whilst I don’t personally agree with all of those decisions, I believe that overall the forum is a better place for their departure. It’s a lot more welcoming and friendly.

And if you can find me an example of moderation due to political correctness, I’ll give you my bike.

whitegoodman
    Free Member

As a lurker turned poster more recently, I don’t think the place is more boring, it is definitely slower, there are 10 hour posts on the front page which there didn’t used to be.

It is definitely very heavily moderated, I had an email yesterday accusing me of trolling and threatening a ban when I’d asked a question that I guess some might have thought was obvious and pointless, but the answer to which I genuinely didn’t know on the Glencoe thread.

There are also some very argumentative pedants here that expect accuracy in an environment that frankly shouldn’t expect it.

I think the simple solution would be an ignore poster feature that other forums have, less work for the moderators and a boon for those allegedly easily offended.

Humour cannot always be humour without offending someone or other can it?

Shouldn’t a forum be like the sort of banter we engage in on a ride, or in the pub afterwards, I can’t say I’ve been on many rides without a healthy dose of piss taking, on everything from what I’m wearing to what other folk are riding, isn’t it what makes the world go round?

This thread could get interesting, amusing, then have a very short life which kind of sums it up really.

Pigface
    Free Member

I think STW has changed since the ban hammer went into full effect. It might be a subtle change but change non the less.

I preferred the more anarchic days but I am still drawn here like a moth to a flame.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mods IMO is just, just, on the right side of caution. It’s your forum so you can manage that, we on the other hand will manage nothing important other than a topic or two..

Whilst I miss the likes of Fred et all, I too do find on occasion it’s a little lean on here but hey, it’s primarily a bike forum and there are some fantastic folks on here.

Wouldn’t have known about SSUK and met all those fellows now would I..

whitegoodman
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

And if you can find me an example of moderation due to political correctness, I’ll give you my bike.

Really? What kind of bike is it whilst I find you my two emailed examples…

Er would you be kind enough to clean it first? 😉

white101

10 hour posts on the front page

possibly a sign the weather has improved and more people are out riding

emsz
    Free Member

It can be a bit dull ( but then so if my fav cardi) 😆

Mods on this site are better than some, and some sites seem not to need it ( or no one gets in a huff about it) I do find it a bit weird when I get banned for talking about straight people and I see posts all the time that say “that’s so gay” double standards much??

It’s A LOT less “14 yr old bedroom” in here now ( loads less T and A and kicking doors in) which is v cool

Drac

possibly a sign the weather has improved and more people are out riding

It’s always like that in the morning but once people are at work or done their morning chores it sorts out, look now oldest is less than an hour.

Rorschach
    Free Member

No.
    Yup.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 359 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me or is this place boring?’ is closed to new replies.