Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Motorsport Trailer – Fitting Out VIP Area
  • BigJohn

I’ve recently changed professions and I’m now designing and fitting bedroom, kitchen and bathroom furniture and equipment. My customers seem pretty pleased with the results and one of them has now asked me to fit out the VIP area in his motorsport trailer.

And when he says motorsport trailer, he’s got a full sized articulated trailer with a tail lift and room to fit 4 race cars (his Chevron GR8 and his BMW M3 plus 2 others) leaving a space up front which is 4 metres by 2.4 metres, and 2.4 metres high, and he wants this fitted out with seating, de-briefing table, big telly, small galley, storage space for overalls etc. Weight is not an issue as his tractor unit can pull 44 tonnes.

I guess my usual approach of getting a bunch of cupboards from B&Q and nailing them to the wall (deliberate bit of self deprecation there) might not meet his expectations, but as usual for these people he wants good quality at a low low price.

I want to make sure I’m not biting off more than I can chew, and I don’t want to keep going back and repairing stuff that falls off due to the flex and vibration.

So has anybody in the hive mind got any good suggestions to get me started?

Location is in Stafford, just by Cannock Chase.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

When you say design, and do you mean bespoke or off the shelf?

Who is fitting and what is their skills level?

wwaswas

go and visit a motorhome/RV dealer and have a look around at how they fit stuff out?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

You could bring in someone who has done this kind of install before and sub it to them. We have used this crew before and they are excellent – ask for Andy: http://www.gorillauk.com
    They have done quite a few fit-outs for Monster Energy and Red Bull.

BigJohn

I’m hoping to do the work myself, but I really want tips from somebody who’s done it before and can point me in the right direction for the materials.

I usually design the room myself and fit it myself using standard off the shelf stuff, but I also do quite a bit of non-standard / heavily modified units too.

coffeeking
    Free Member

The main thing I’d be thinking about is the fact that those trailers flex A LOT. Bear that in mind when planning supports for the structures.

BigJohn

I’m calling gorilla and a fancy horsebox firm to see if I can pick their brains. And I’ve got the bloke who started building follow the dog interested in helping

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Motorsport Trailer – Fitting Out VIP Area’ is closed to new replies.