Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Bad crash on PBW Piethorne Valley this evening
  • miner29er
    Free Member

There’s an unknown mtber in Leeds Gen Infirmary. He was taken there by air ambulance about 5pm this afternoon after my son and his mate found the guy totally out of the game with his face ripped to bits on the Pennine Bridleway in the Piethorne Valley. He had no i/d and was in total shock. Long shot I know – but has anyone on here heard who it might be? Don’t know make of bike but guy is aged between 40 & 50 yrs.

mintimperial

Erm, I have quite a few riding buddies who would match that description. A bit more detail would be helpful, as would bike ID…

Bregante

Yep me too. Bike details would be most useful.

bellys
    Free Member

Just seen this on twitter hope the guy is ok.

These details have been shared across the bogtrotters, Manchester mountainbikers, and Gisburn trail builders forums & Facebook pages too. Hope somebody knows who mr X is and that he’s ok.

lowey

Grim. Healing vibes dood.

njee20
    Free Member

Hope they find out who it is, wonder of any of the medical folk who were so keen to say how useless it was to have ID bracelets have any comments!

toys19
    Free Member

wonder of any of the medical folk who were so keen to say how useless it was to have ID bracelets have any comments!

Umm completly irrelevant, does he have diabetes or some other condition, we don’t know, but long after thay have dealt with any emergency situation, they would just check his wallet no?

crikey
    Free Member

His identity allows some nurse to write the correct name 20 odd times in his admission documentation, as it is, someone will be doing it tomorrow.

It has no bearing on the care he is receiving.

miner29er
    Free Member

Got some more details. Bike’s a Beone hardtail, white & blue with spds. His name is Richard – that’s about all the poor lad could remember.

mintimperial

Bike’s a Beone hardtail, white and blue with spds. His name is Richard – that’s about all the poor lad could remember.

Nope, no-one I know. Hope the fella mends quickly all the same, and that any one worrying about him finds him as soon as possible.

miner29er
    Free Member

Yeah, Carrying i/d is mainly about reducing the worry of those waiting for your safe return – if you’ve got someone that is. Name, contact phone no. and blood group possibly the minimum. The frightening thing is if this rider hadn’t been found he could have been out on the moors all night.

bellys
    Free Member

I all ways take I’d with me and a phone you never know what might happen.
    Hope the bloke is ok.

Bregante

Cheers for update. Not anyone I know

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’m always riding alone at night on the moors (often on this section of PBW too), apart from my mobile I don’t carry any ID.
    Should I?
    What should I have? I’d happily wear a wristband of some kind as long as a medical person would think to look for it.

(I don’t want a Bobby George-style silver one though)

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

I have one of these – http://www.roadid.com/Common/Default.aspx

woulnd go out without it to be honest.

RustySpanner

Was he about 5 foot tall with an axe in his backpack?
    If so, might have a clue. 😀

Where is muddydwarf, btw, not heard from him in ages?

mintimperial

What should I have?

Good question this. I think I’ve got my BC membership card in my Camelbak, that’s got some ID details on it, but then I don’t take the backpack out unless it’s a fairly long one. Maybe I should get some stickers printed up to stick on my bikes: “If found, please tell the idiot who fell off this bike to HTFU and ride home to…”

stumpyjon

Bump for the weekend.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Has he remembered who he is yet?

miner29er
    Free Member

My son, who found the injured the rider, received a call from his wife – so the good news is that they managed to find next of kin. The guy is being transferred from LGI to Bradford Infirmary where tomorrow he’ll undergo facial surgery. Don’t know about any other injuries – but if I hear anything I’ll post on here. Let’s all wish him a full and speedy recovery.

matt_outandabout

Good news. Sounds bad crash and situation…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Wasn’t me Rusty!

Glad to hear the chap is getting good care, sounds like he hit pretty damned hard if he’s needing facial reconstruction surgery. Healing vibes to Richard whoever he is.

miner29er
    Free Member

We suspect he hit one of those water bars at speed (but don’t know for sure). For those familiar with the PBW hereabouts they’re on that downhill section between the junction with the b’way that leads to Windy Hill and the crossroads of tracks where PBW turns R towards Rakewood Viaduct.

aguesty1
    Free Member

Lets hope he’s alright, certainly makes you think!

brokensoul
    Free Member

Healing vibes, dude.
    Get well soon.

totalshell

ouch.. get well soon. ride up there regular.. makes you think that a dog tag might be a good idea..

miner29er
    Free Member

The guy’s family is pleased with the way he’s now recovering following surgery today and hope to have him home soon. A very lucky chap to have found help so quickly in such a remote spot towards the end of the day. We’ve all experienced the thrills ‘n’ spills on the trails but please be careful guys. This little episode has reminded me to think a bit more of those at home worrying about your safe return. Happy ending… this time. Thank you all for genuine concern towards a fellow mountain biker.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Bad crash on PBW Piethorne Valley this evening’ is closed to new replies.