Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • mothers day lunch – inspire me
  • DT78
    Free Member

I’m cooking for inlaws, wife and 2 boys for mothers day. Normal order of the day is a roast dinner, but I’d like to do something a bit different / special

I’m not a great cook so it can’t be too challenging…suggestions?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The White Swan carvery on Mansbridge Rd… But you may need an extra dollop of patience to get a table on Mothering Sunday! 😉

At home, can’t go wrong with fajitas, get the tasty and decently priced tortillas from Lidl (~70p for an 8-pack iirc).

Sandwich

How much time do you have for cooking on the day? Short then beef stroganoff (use good quality steak, don’t scrimp), long proper gulasch done on the stove top takes ages but doesn’t require constant attention and rewards the effort.

llama

Slow cook the day before, warm up on Sunday. Any casserole. Easy as you like. If you want special/difffent osso bucco, boeuf bourguignon, maybe a lamb tagine; all are basically the same easy method. Cooking the day before makes it better, honest.

gauss1777
    Free Member

but I’d like to do something a bit different / special

My wife often makes this mistake imho, and she’s a really good cook. If however someone is coming for a special occasion, rather than cook one of the many fantastic things she regularly makes, she tries a new recipe. Or worse, messes about with something that’s a proven favourite. I’d suggest sticking to something you know they like. Roast duck – I could eat it every day!

Drac

Egg and chips.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Tagine, like stew but a bit spicy and sounds posh, innit.

ElShalimo

1kg of shin of beef, bottle of red

Cook it low temp and slow.  Serve with carbs of choice and veg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘mothers day lunch – inspire me’ is closed to new replies.