Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Most important request of the year – Sheffield Cake Establishments
  • newrobdob
    Free Member

My brother (PeterPoddy) is coming up to Yorkshire this weekend and I’m going to meet him in Sheffield – western/south western side (not the Peaks).

In order to lure him up North even more I need recommendations on the finest tea and cake shop in that area. (BTW it needs to have parking as I am driving the Millennium Volcon to meet him).

WARNING: Before you blithely reel off a list of potentials I must warn you that PeterPoddy is a cake professional. I don’t mean baking them, I mean eating them. His love for and consumption of cake is something most people can only admire/be astonished by/be scared of.

So it’s got to be good. The very best indeed.

No rubbish weird artisan cack (weird ingredients)
    No dry boring slabs of misery.

While the tea could be seen as secondary, I would like to see the extra pot of hot water as should be the norm in Yorkshire.

The reputation of Yorkshire and the North lies in your hands!!

newrobdob
    Free Member

Anyone?

finbar
    Free Member

Central Sheffield?

http://marmadukes.co/

Might be a bit poncy (at least by Sheffield standards), but the cakes really are good.

martinhutch

You’re in the wrong bit of Yorkshire. Get yourself up to Betty’s to share some elegant cake-based action with the moneyed grannies of Harrogate.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Has to be west Sheffield as PP has to get back down to Hampshire and can’t travel any further really.

Pook

The tiffin at Graves Park café is good. Other cakes I don’t know. Get to Hope and go to Café Adventure.

newrobdob
    Free Member

https://thedepotbakery.co.uk – anyone tried this place? Unsure about their use of the word artisan so much. 😉

Mowgli
    Free Member

Steel City Cakes

Excellent cake, and the portions are bloody massive. Definitely not poncy – these are man-sized hunks of cake. Three huge slices for £6 when I last went in, which was a mistake. There’s street parking nearby.

landslide

Depot do good stuff. Forge Bakehouse maybe worth a look too. Steamyard (Division Street) normally gets some amazing donuts in, but you need to get there early.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Has to be west Sheffield as PP has to get back down to Hampshire and can’t travel any further really.

Why, nose bleeds? Allergic to human kindness? 😉

Digby

If it’s the weekend and your criteria extends to the Western Approaches of the City/Peak District then I can really recommend ‘Jolly’s Catering’ (@JollysCateringCompany).

They have an old Citroen ‘H’ van that they park up at Curbar Gap – so plenty of parking. Although it can get busy if the weather is sunny!

Good Coffee and Great Cakes!

Pook

Fair enough, I take it back

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah the Curbar gap van is pretty good, but it’s quite a long way to go to discover they’ve run out 😆

I like Coleman’s Deli in Hathersage. It’s a popular road bike stop and they do good coffee and have all kinds of different cakes.

eyestwice
    Free Member

I second both Steel City Cakes and Coleman’s Deli. Both excellent.

I love cake.

newrobdob
    Free Member

WE are going to Steel City Cakes. Hope it’s the right choice. It could be the one thing that lures PP back to the North. 🙂

munded

No- https://forgebakehouse.co.uk/

that’s the one.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Why forge so much?

munded

Bias, mate bakes the cakes. Steel city for volume, forge for quality. Go to both regularly. Forge for parents/date, steel city for hunger.

shuhockey
    Free Member

http://www.jamesonstearooms.co.uk/
    Lots of cake!!!

Its just before Steelcity cakes so takeaway selection box for £10???

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Forge Bakehouse don’t really do “cake” per se. Pastries, yes, sausage rolls yes, donuts, yes, good coffee yes, but not much in the way of actual cake. Possibly a bit hipsterwanker too. (Awesome brekkies though)

Steel City Cakes are good for cake (funny old world!) massive selection of flavours, but mostly of the “sponge cake with icing” type. Big lumps though.

Colemans in Hathersage are pretty good (salted caramel is a personal favourite)

7 Hills Bakery and Perfectionary on Sharrow Vale Road are 2 more, but I’ve not visited either, so can’t vouch for quality.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Most important request of the year – Sheffield Cake Establishments’ is closed to new replies.