Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Morzine hikes/walks
  • SOAP
    Free Member

We are actually going to the alps this year after what seems like a life time ago (2years)
    There for 2 weeks so going to go for a walk/hike
    Looking for a route from morzine that’s away from the normal biking routes.
    Is it possible to hike to the top of mountain to the left of la Plenney when looking up the hill.?
    TIA

mark88

Not Morzine, but not far away… I did a hike up to Dent d’Oche, stayed the night in the refuge then walked a different route back the next day. I would 100% recommend. There’s a little cheese chalet en route, and Bernex bike park at the foot of the hill.

I believe (but not certain) that all the peaks around Morzine are accessible. The only one I’ve done is Nyon, which now has a chairlift accessed viewpoint.

dashed
    Free Member

Pretty much everything is doable around there – just depends on how far / high you want to go. Footpaths everywhere – lots of them well signposted with estimates of durations for the walk etc.

Pointe de Nyon (left of Pleney as you look at it) is doable via several routes.

I’d chose Pointe de Ressachaux though which is the one opposite side of Valle de la Manche and towers over Morzine. No lift infrastructure, deserted and steep but all doable on footpaths (no scrambling). Beautiful meadow at the top and good chance of seeing wild boar on the way up through the woods.

Other suggestions are to drive up to Lacs de Mines D’Or (free parking and a bar by the lake for a cold one when you get back) and walk up to Col de Coux on the Swiss boarder.

For something a little rockier the Roc d’Enfer loop out of Graydon is stunning. A little bit of scrambling and more exposed.

Buy an IGN map from the supermarket (OS equivalent) when you get there or use the online version to plan in advance – you’ll have to fiddle around with layers to find the right ones which show footpaths etc https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/carte

nickjb
    Free Member

There are so many good walks. Roc d’Enfer is a favourite but you need a head for heights. Absolutely stunning scenery.

For the less adventurous there’s some great walks up or down from Avoriaz and Plenney.

Nyon is also good and out over to the pointe d’angolon

rascal
    Free Member

I broke my collarbone 3 years ago a few weeks before my PSD biking trip so ended up doing a few walks instead. There are the Morzine 3 Peaks – Point de Nyon, Pointe de Nantaux and Pointe de Ressachaux – all roughly the same height. Nyon cable car is a short walk from Morzine – I cheated and got the lifts up and walked down – still had an amazing day. The views from there are amazing – especially across to Mont Blanc. The descent takes you down through high alpine meadows, forests and past waterfalls. I stopped and had a beer at a restaurant half way down.
    Also walked along the river to Montriond and up the Pointe de Nantaux. It is bloody steep – insanely steep in some places. Has a nice summit ridge that takes you to a big cross – amazing views. 2170m – you do get a full 4000′ of ascent so bigger than most UK ascents. I did it very hungover with not enough water on a very hot day – the most dehydrated I’ve ever been in my life! Did look at that Roc d’Enfer but looks like that has some serious arse-twitching exposure so gave that a miss.
    Stoner of this parish lived in Montriond at the time – I met up with him and poured over some maps over beers – nice guy though not heard of him here for a while – hope he’s ok!

I also did a combination of walks and lifts to get up the Points des Mossettes right on the French/Swiss border – that was a long day with a few cold beers at Les Lindarets.

The answer is yes – plenty to go at.

crab
    Free Member

Morzinette would be quiet, and very easy as it starts from the bottom of Avoriaz above the lake. I actually rode it but didn’t see a single bike, just a handful of walkers. Lovely alpine pastures at the top. You end descending down to the outskirts of Morzine.

Les Hauts forts looks fun, but pretty darn scary, cables on the climbs (scrambling) and massive exposure by the look of it. You could actually do the morzinette walk and link up to the end of this ridge, missing the scary bits. The path is clear on google maps, would be stunning views from up there.

paino

I’ll second the Roc d’Enfer. Easily accessible from Morzine, can park fairly high up. I cycled then ditched the bike somewhere up the double track. There were a couple of gliders soaring there last time I was up, could see the guys nasal hair he was that close!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.