• This topic has 37 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by nixie.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • More Tech4 stuff
  • teethgrinder

Picked up a Tech4 lever blade second hand because Hope said they won’t fit on a Tech3 master cylinder.

Well I made it fit.

All you need to do is drill out the pivot hole to 5mm for the pivot bolt, and file down the hole flanges on both sides so it fits in the master cylinder.

Pics to follow.

breninbeener

Ace. Thanks!

teethgrinder

continuity
    Free Member

Pic fitted?

Isn’t the lever the entire ‘power increase’?

teethgrinder

Apols for the crappy pics.

leegee

Great work.
    Rebuilt both my Tech 3 levers just before Tech 4 was announced, please let us know what difference it makes.

teethgrinder

Will do. Ordered another one to do the other side. These are the brakes on the hard tail that will end up on the HB916 when I eventually get the frame, but might use them on the HB160 in the mean time.

squirrelking
    Free Member

To be fair I can see why they would say that if it needed modding. But good work! Just need to find a lever for my Mini master cylinder, Avid Juicy is same fit but blade angle is all wrong.

tjagain

squirrelking – I have several in my spares box. PM me

squirrelking
    Free Member

@tjagain thank you! I need to strip them down and get them working first but I’ll give you a shout if they’re otherwise fine.

teethgrinder

Initial impressions are good. Feels like there’s a bit more power with the slightly longer blade, and that was with a 183mm rotor.

Will need to make a couple more mods to the blade or the cam as the reach is miles away even with the reach screw all the way out.

teethgrinder

Made some more mods to the lever and the cam and all’s good. Not as light on lever feel as a real Tech4, but that could be due to the pistons and\or master cylinder spring.

Blade for the other side is ordered and I’ll do some pics of the mods on that and the other cam.

leegee

Thanks for the update.

teethgrinder

Another update. Just on case, like me, you were curious as to whether the Tech4 MC pistons fit the Tech3.

Been running the Tech3 master cylinder with the tech4 levers (and cams, which needed a drill as well as a hole drilling and tapping for the pivot grub screw) for a couple of months and they’re really good. Lovely feel and seem to be a smidge moar power.

However, I thought I’d try the Tech4 MC listings as well… They totally don’t work. They’re a bit longer overall, and there’s only one seal. The rear one is an o-ring on the Tech4, so the MC leaks. The spring is lighter and does fit, but can’t feel the difference in the Tech3 MC.

Guess I now have spare for the inevitable Tech4 MC’s I’m totally going to buy.

Hybrid pistons are on their way as well,

teethgrinder

[url=https://postimages.org/]free picture host[/url]

Upper is tech4, lower Tech3

goby

Many thanks for the update

dyna-ti

Can I ask why you felt the need to retrofit T4 levers onto T3 master cylinders ?.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Blister podcast have a great 1 hour interview with a designer at hope that goes into all the little differences between tech 3 and 4, explains why that piston doesn’t fit!

DickBarton

Going by that photo, it is the wrong length…no need for the 1 hour explanation. 😉

Rubber_Buccaneer

The master cylinder pistons are the same diameter as the T3?

Blister podcast have a great 1 hour interview with a designer at hope that goes into all the little differences between tech 3 and 4

I am going to have to listen to that out of sheer nerdyness

teethgrinder

Why did I do it? Why not

The main seal is the same diameter on each, and the rear is an o-ring on the 4. The rear seal on the 3 won’t fit the 4 as the gap where it goes is too narrow. 4.also.has what looks like a PTFE bush.

4 a few mm longer in the rear slidey part but could be shortened.

Ordered some full Tech4 MC’s now, anyway. Still cheaper than a full pair of E4

nixie

But are they cheaper than buying a full set and selling the old full set? Surely not if you add in the new pistons.

teethgrinder

Just under 200 for master cylinders, 52 for pistons, so yes. By a long way. Even with not selling the old MC’s.

dyna-ti

Just under 200 for master cylinders, 52 for pistons, so yes. By a long way. Even with not selling the old MC’s.

Thats the route im taking. But not straight away, I want to at least get a bit of use out the standard pistons before I embark on the utter ballache that comes from removing all the pistons on a 4 pot caliper

(I’ve new tech 2 V4 calipers i’ve paired with the new tech 4 levers. Just doing the fill and bleed this weekend, so see how it all goes)

teethgrinder

Finished changing the seals and putting the new pistons in. Makes a big difference to lever feel.

Had sticking issues when the pads were worn and there was loads of chips on the edges of some of them, so they needed doing.

dyna-ti

And theres another job I don’t envy you. Getting the inner seals into the groove 😆

Any tips on that regard ?.

chainbreaker
    Free Member

A new tech 4 set is around £400 and used tech 3 sets seem to go for around the 200-250 mark looking at ebay.

I applaud you for trying to keep what you have and improving it, but I think in this case I agree with nixie here, it would’ve worked out £50-100 cheaper to buy the tech 4 brakeset and then sell on the tech 3 brakes.

I’m in the same situation, in two minds whether to upgrade my tech3 v4s or just sell and get the tech 4 v4s, think I’ll be going for the latter.

teethgrinder

Take your time, squeeze the o-ring laterally and get one bit seated, then feed the rest in carefully with a pick.

Also, lube the pistons with Silicone lube or dot4/dot5.1 to help them slide in (this is important otherwise you might nick a seal and have to strip the bastard again, and possibly contaminate the pads 🤦).

Use the middle of an 8mm spanner to push the pistons in.

dyna-ti

I’m in the same situation, in two minds whether to upgrade my tech3 v4s or just sell and get the tech 4 v4s, think I’ll be going for the latter.

There you have to weigh up the condition the T3’s are in, what you’ll get for them realistically including postal cost to send and fees would that be on ebay.

I agree it’s probably a better bet to sell and buy new, offsetting some of the cost recouped from selling the T3’s. Taking into account how much use you’ve had from the T3’s, as it might only be £100 for example a difference for the latest up to date brake.

nixie

Yeah sorry those numbers don’t work.

Tech 4 E4 £175 an end = £350.

Tech 4 MS + pistons. £252.

So £100 difference in purchase cost. But the old E4s are worth easily £150 but more like £200 with plenty achieving nearer £250. Old MC are worth around £100.

That gives £150 cost of change for MC+pistons and the same for all new brakes (taking mid value). A full new set is a no brainer IMO.

Admittedly I’m basing this on the condition of my brakes. If they were heavily worn it’s not so clear cut but they still fetch strong residuals. Pick the right listing time and the fees are not that large. Also factor brand new pads, fluid and time.

ta11pau1

I paid £370 for my tech 4 V4’s and got £200 for the 3 year old tech 3 v4’s.

nixie

Dyna-ti in your case I’d wager you’ll loose less selling your new callipers (assuming unused) and buy new with new piston type than the piston upgrade cost.

squirrelking
    Free Member

And theres another job I don’t envy you. Getting the inner seals into the groove 😆

Any tips on that regard ?.

As above, lub everything with your DOT fluid of choice, fold the seal and shove it into the groove with a pick.

As for selling or upgrading, I costed it in the main thread, I honestly can’t remember what’s better but it’s there.

nixie

I think I asked the same question in the main thread but didn’t noticed it had been answered. Apologies.

teethgrinder

Ultimately depends on whether you have the funds to buy Tech4 outright, or go incrementally. In my case, the latter (and I like to fettle), and I’ll likely keep the Tech3 MC’s to go back on the hard tail when i find some cheap calipers.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I think I asked the same question in the main thread but didn’t noticed it had been answered. Apologies.

No need to apologise, its easy to miss stuff.

dyna-ti

Dyna-ti in your case I’d wager you’ll loose less selling your new calipers (assuming unused) and buy new with new piston type than the piston upgrade cost.

Undoubtedly,but im a hoarder extraordinaire and the bargain king. The pair of new tech 3 levers cost me £100, and I paid £120 for the V4 calipers,-Bargains snapped up from online sales, new other ebay purchases etc, each part bought separately.

The tech 3 levers are now on the pair of V2 calipers Hope sent me as a gift, and i could easily sell it all(bar the new T4 levers), but for the hoarder thing  and the fact I no longer trust Ebay, so Im happy just to hang onto things and just add to that increasing pile.

So sometimes psychologically its easier for me to buy rather than sell/recoup ?.

nixie

Nice work 👍.

I used to have time for the hording, bargain hunting and fettling so can understand that. Currently have very little spare time.

If I’m being honest if I had the time I’d retro fit the pistons and upgrade the master cylinders but only because more 🍊 is better 🤪.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.