Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • More random TdF Qs
  • footflaps

Is that a GoPro on Mike Teunissen’s bike? Something odd hanging below the stem….

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/07/gallery-a-wet-and-wild-weekend-as-the-tour-visits-the-alps/

Klunk
    Free Member

40mpg

Yes, quite a few riders have them, they put footage of sprints, crashes etc on the highlights shows sometimes. Pretty scary riders eye view stuff!

footflaps

Yes, quite a few riders have them, they put footage of sprints, crashes etc on the highlights shows sometimes. Pretty scary riders eye view stuff!

Interesting, I just assumed they’d be so obsessed with weight / drag they wouldn’t carry anything extra.

chakaping
    Free Member

I guess battery life has improved since they made my Hero 3 then.

footflaps

Another random observation, I assumed all the race capes would be skake dry as it performs so well, but most seem to be 3 layer GTX style fabric. Only Rapha EF seem to use it.

Klunk
    Free Member

I presume the teams get paid to carry them.

13thfloormonk

Shakedry is also very hard to colour I think? So all team capes would be black basically.

Maybe also Shakedry too thin? The most difficult jackets I have to put on ‘on-the-fly’ are condom thin packable windproofs. The inevitably end up in a manky damp finangle that I need to stop and untangle. Perhaps the 3-layer stuff is just easier to put on?

BigJohn

That top picture made me think it was Harry Kane watching 2 old men in the park!

footflaps

So all team capes would be black basically.

That does seem to be the most common colour. Anything ridden in the rain will end up covered in Belgium toothpaste, so not much point in being a bright colour.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Not so much a question but an observation, just how many Ass savers I have seen used this year.

BigJohn

Yes! Mudguards! Henri Desgrange would be turning in his grave if he was still alive!

footflaps

Another thing I wondered was laundry, I assume the team trucks have washer driers as well as show driers. They’ll get through a lot of wet muddy kit in weather like this. Can’t see them entrusting all the kit to the local hotel….

Must be an age thing: to see a wet stage of the Tdf and all I can think about it how do they dry their shoes in time for the next stage. Mine are still in the airing cupboard from riding on Sunday….

FuzzyWuzzy

I think more than EF are using versions of the shakedry jacket, at least quite a few are using mostly black very thin jackets at times. I think it depends a fair bit on the rider as well – if you’re just chilling in the groupetto you can easily deal with receiving/handing back a bulkier jacket from the team car and probably need the warmth more (and aren’t so bothered about it being slightly less aero). In a breakaway or GC battle though they often need something packable if there’s a few mountains in succession and care more about being aero for the last bit if it’s not a mountain top finish.

It’s the general lack of anything but mitts (and often bare hands) that surprises me, surely pro riders could easily get accustomed to the bulk and feel of heavier gloves for cold/wet stages and be happy to use them from the start? Maybe it’s just my occasional riding mamil viewpoint but I’ll happy use bulky gloves if it avoids painfully cold numb hands (even more so if I was descending off a mountain and wanted to be in control of my braking).

sbtouring
    Free Member

@footflaps most team buses have washing machines, from the ones I’ve seen at races they are located in the area of the bottom of the bus that you would normally store suitcases. So they do not rely on hotels to do the washing

footflaps

yes, just the odd rider wearing gloves..

footflaps

most team buses have washing machines, from the ones I’ve seen at races they are located in the area of the bottom of the bus that you would normally store suitcases.

Did think they might.

Gotta be tough being support, fixing and washing all night then handing out bottles / jackets all day. They can’t get much sleep….

sbtouring
    Free Member

The support staff do seem to do some very long days. Must seem like a good job to travel round the world and work at bike races, but it must be a very hard job

Back in the day it was the riders responsibility to do their own washing. So after a long stage, instead of relaxing they would have to wash their team kit ready for the next day

nbt
    footflaps

Back in the day it was the riders responsibility to do their own washing. So after a long stage, instead of relaxing they would have to wash their team kit ready for the next day

I’ve done MTN bike tours where the guides were only given 1 strip and had to wash and dry it every night – did seem a bit stingy!

2tyred

Not so much a question but an observation, just how many Ass savers I have seen used this year.

I’m not sure that’s what they are – aren’t they the data transponders? Cycling Podcast had a good episode about the real-time data gathering last year (or the year before).

Although I wouldn’t blame the riders for wanting to use some kind of mudguard yesterday!

trailwagger
    Free Member

I’m not sure that’s what they are – aren’t they the data transponders? Cycling Podcast had a good episode about the real-time data gathering last year (or the year before).

Although I wouldn’t blame the riders for wanting to use some kind of mudguard yesterday!

No, definitely Ass savers.

anagallis_arvensis

It’s the general lack of anything but mitts (and often bare hands) that surprises me, surely pro riders could easily get accustomed to the bulk and feel of heavier gloves for cold/wet stages and be happy to use them from the start? Maybe it’s just my occasional riding mamil viewpoint but I’ll happy use bulky gloves if it avoids painfully cold numb hands (even more so if I was descending off a mountain and wanted to be in control of my braking).

I don’t really get why riders would start a wet mountain stage with no gloves or just track MIT’s, if I’m not sure I have gloves that go over track MIT’s and I can take them off if too hot or leave them on. Many seemed to have nothing, get frozen solid and then wonder why gloves don’t warm up already frozen hands. Just start with some light full finger jobs in a pocket or on hands…what am I missing?

Trimix
    Free Member

Any of them using a dropper post yet, now they have banned sitting on the top tube.

anagallis_arvensis

Not seen any droppers, Nibali tried one a few years ago as I recall.

andytherocketeer

They used droppers on the communal Mavic spare bikes mainly to adjust the height.
    No idea about the Shimano ones, but I guess they do.
    I think at least one bike there was aimed at not-racing and could potentially be as light as 6kg, so a dropper could be handy way to get it back over the limit, if allowed by UCI. But then the UCI list of banned things is pretty long, so has a pretty high chance of being on the banned list.

mugsys_m8

Why is there a black arrow on a piece of yellow cardboard cabletied to the signpost right outside my front door? 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘More random TdF Qs’ is closed to new replies.