Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • More modern alternative to Etrex 20x? (or, What GPS for bike packing?)
  • vdubber67
    Free Member

Had one of these orange Etrex 20xs for a few years now, and always disliked it. I’ve never found it at all intuitive, hated the interface, and struggling with the software that goes with it.

So – any alternatives out there I need to look for? Basically want to follow a GPS trace with some sort of mapping on the screen. Battery life needs to be good, and I’d like an easy interface / software.

Moon on a stick, or easily done?

Ta

mrhoppy

I’m using and edge 530. User interface still isn’t the best but it’s better than before.

I was out for 10 hours and used 50% ish of the onboard battery with ant+ HR monitor & Bluetooth connection running as well. You can get piggyback battery pack that doubles the capacity. I reckon that should give 40ish hours run time with the mapping.

Maps are ok too but I was running an edge 800 with OS before. Uploading routes is pretty easy, guidance works well.

scotroutes

Garmin Oregon

Bez

hated the interface, and struggling with the software … Basically want to follow a GPS trace with some sort of mapping on the screen.

A Wahoo might suit quite well. They have their weaknesses, but they’re easy to use and if your expectations are at “follow the wiggly line” rather than sophisticated navigation capabilities then they’ll meet or exceed those.

From experience of the Elemnt and the Bolt I’d go for the latter (the screen is a bit clearer, although smaller, and the buttons are better in terms of tactile feedback) but the Roam offers better mapping (not least the ability to retain more detail when zooming out, unless that’s been addressed in Bolt/Elemnt updates) albeit for quite a lot more money.

MadBillMcMad

I’m about 4 weeks ahead of you.

Just gone from an etrex 20x to a 830. Have to say I’m very impressed. Either using something like strava routes or just adding a random gpx navigation is a doddle. I did a 13 hour bike ride and also had 50% battery left. Navigation was a breeze.

I had maps from talky toaster on my etrex and I’ve just added those easily.

I’ll still use my phone with back country navigator when the nead arises.

If your eyesight is shit or you are loaded, or you’re of a certain age then the new 1030+ would be my choice.

The primary difference between 530 and 830 is touch screen. Not much else different.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘More modern alternative to Etrex 20x? (or, What GPS for bike packing?)’ is closed to new replies.