Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Morbid question – why left arm pain in heart attack
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

As above – always wondered.

Flaperon

Nerves for both heart and left arm meet in spinal column, hence the opportunity for false signals.

fontmoss
    Free Member

referred pain, look up the sympathetic chain and pain referral for more info but its to do with nerves picking up signals from the heart and confusing them with the arm because they have the same common pathway, can happen with various things not just heart attacks.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I have read it is referred pain. Any comments on that?

comedyphil
    Free Member

I thought it was because that's where the blood flows to first after coming out of the heart, so it's the first part of you to stop receiving fresh oxygenated blood.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Check you fontmoss!

you're actually learning doctory stuff and everything 😀

Drac

Fontmoss has it.

skidartist
    Free Member

Had my own experience of this this week (not a heart attack) – just had hernia surgery and as part of that they pump your gut cavity full of gas so that they can see what they are doing inside there. You come round with this big bloaty belly feeling. The gas/guts mix presses on you diaphram but you feel the pain around your collar bones.

PS I need to get a soldering iron derrek, any recommendations?

derek_starship
    Free Member

skidartist

This'll do you for not big bucks.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4063

BermBandit
    Free Member

Its to do with having a big belly with the mother of all bruises on it apparently…… 😉

caledonia
    Free Member

I've been told it's because there is a major artery which runs from your left hand up to your heart.
    I believe that this is also the shortest arterial route from the heart to the extremities.

Also giving reason to why the wedding ring goes on the left hand.

But – I may be wrong on all of the above – just thought i'd throw that out there ! !

skidartist
    Free Member

This'll do you for not big bucks.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4063

Cool, I'm on it!

fontmoss
    Free Member

you're actually learning doctory stuff and everything

lol, just about!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Morbid question – why left arm pain in heart attack’ is closed to new replies.