Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Help. Trying to remove cranks.
  • Slacks
    Free Member

My bottom bracket has died. I have got a replacement and a new chainring whilst I am at it. I'll whip the cranks off in no time and have it all running smoothly me thinks. Can I get the cranks off?……..Can I **** urrghhhh.

They are Race Face evolve xc cranks. If i have read the instructions right it should simply be a case of just undoing the 8mm bolt (counter clockwise direction). It wont shift.

Do I need to do anthing with the 10mm retainer cover bit?

I want to check I'm turning the right way before I give it a real heave and break it properly.

anjs
    Free Member

What year are the cranks some of the newer ones do not have the extractor capo and need to be removed using a ISIS crank extractor tool.

sharki
    Free Member

Hit it with a rock as per SSC instuctions, this method should work with all crank types.

HTH

jonathan
    Free Member

I've always needed an extender of some sort when removing and fitting RF cranks (although they've both been Atlas). Stick a pole on you allen key and give it a heave!

DezB
    Free Member

This old chestnut. Good ol Raceface.

Best plan would be to forget about whether the 10mm is an extractor or not and use a proper crank puller.

Slacks
    Free Member

What year are the cranks some of the newer ones do not have the extractor capo and need to be removed using a ISIS crank extractor tool.

Its 2007. Manual suggests only an allen key. The give it a real heave option is looking favourite.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hit it with a rock as per SSC instuctions, this method should work with all crank types.

HTH
    I think you'll find thats the INSTALLATION method, not the REMOVAL method!

antigee

try this thread from last week mine was an 07/08 and looked like the pic posted at the end – Chapaking's suggestion worked real easy if a bit frightening

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/race-face-x-crank-removal-question

Slacks
    Free Member

Finally got round to giving this another try. Still can't move the 8mm allen key.

Can I get a something to attach to the allen key to make a bigger lever?

Slacks
    Free Member

Maybe if i heat the frame with the wifes hairdyer and get a mallet out.

Crowbar and hacksaw are calling me.

theotherjonv

yes, I use a tubular steel wardrobe pole (for hanging clothes on) about 3ft long. Not a lot has resisted 15st on the end of that.

Available at your local B&Q if you don't have one to hand

antigee

i used a socket set wrench with an allen key head plus a quick tap with a rubber mallet – but had only been on bike around 6 months and i greased it well when fitting – good luck

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you know what vintage the crank is?

If it's 2007, I can probably show you how to do this tomorrow, or do you need it done before then?

Slacks
    Free Member

It is a 2007. I was hoping to finish before tomorrow. Not convinced i'll manage it.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

You will never shift that bolt with a short allen key. Get a long one and use your seatpost or a similar bit of tubing to get some leverage.

wwaswas

or nip to halfords and get a 1/4 or 1/2 inch drive socket type 8mm allen key and use a rachet drive/t-bar.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sorry, just re-read your post and I see the 8mm bolt won't move.

The idea is that you put the 10mm puller cap on, then poke an 8mm key through and engage with the bolt.

As you loosen it, it braces against the puller cap (which has a reverse thread), and pushes the crank arm off the splines.

But if your bolt won't budge, that's besides the point a bit.

Good luck!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Best method is to hacksaw and dump them in the skip in my humble opinion… I've been there with Evolve XC cranks too, right up until they started to loosen of their own accord as the driveside splines wore out in 18 months causing excessive play.

Not impressed.

Slacks
    Free Member

Success. I used the old oven glove and seat post technique. Cheers for the advice.

Not actually sure i want to put them back on the bike now.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Help. Trying to remove cranks.’ is closed to new replies.