Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Moray Monster Trails under threat
  • devs
    Free Member

Hi Folks,

It has come to our notice that the FC are considering shutting some or all of the Moray Monster Trails. In consultation with them they are telling us they are getting very little use. Our own eyes and experience tell us different. I wonder if anyone who has ridden them recently would take 2 mins to fill in a questionnaire from here https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BzI_85Gd1jepYjZiY2QyZjItYmUyYy00NTgyLWExYTktMDdkMTFiY2VlOTQ1&hl=en&authkey=CLDloIgK

and email it to moraymbc@googlemail.com

Thanks for your time, it is one way that will help us keep the trails open.

Devs

MrGreedy

I’m only a very infrequent visitor (live in England but have family nearby) but it would be a real shame if any had to be closed, I’ve had some really memorable rides up there.

Not being awkward, but you might get more responses if you used Surveymonkey.com (or similar) – having to download a word doc then email might be a bit of a faff for some people.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ermm – that don’t seem to work for me Are we meant to copy and paste it?

epicyclo

What’s the name of the local FC manager?

devs
    Free Member

TJ download, fill in, save and then email as an attachment. MrGreedy will see about setting up surveymonkey, thanks for the tip.
    epicyclo it’s Calum Murray.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Are there counters anywhere?

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>it’s Calum Murray.<

According to the FC site it’s John Thomson (as in Forest District Manager)You need to be speaking to the FDM and the Recreation Manager in this scenario. However, apologies if that name is out of date.

Good point from Flying Fox – modern electronic trail counters are relatively cheap, very accurate and simple to install. They do it in Wales but in Scotland its appears to be more of a black art 😉 Not going to prove numbers aren’t falling if you don’t have any baseline data in the first place though?

When you say “shutting” how exactly – removing all signage etc / dropping from the mtb scotland web portal? The site’s still being promoted at present incidentally…

devs
    Free Member

Apparently counters were fitted but this was during the end of a very wet Oct and snowy Nov and the locations of them haven’t been divulged either. All this during the building of a bypass adjacent to the trails which has led to horrendous jams. Basically they couldn’t have picked a worse time to put the counters in.

devs
    Free Member

When you say “shutting” how exactly – removing all signage etc / dropping from the mtb scotland web portal? The site’s still being promoted at present incidentally…

That’s about the size of it with all features such as berms, jumps and woodwork removed. Us local riders won’t suffer at all as we know where it all is but we worry about visitors to the area dropping off and new riders having nowhere to develop their skills.

chris23
    Free Member

When did Calum take over ? and where’s Phill Whitfield gone ? Phill was so pro MTBing for the area he would be up in arms with such a idea.
    Spent so much of my time riding those trails and a lot of sundays helping build them it will be such a loss and what inpact will it have on events Like 10 MORE IN MORAY ?

POSTED down south now other wise I would sit on the wood work in protest to stop them removing it.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Re: 10 more in Moray

looking at NoFuss’s calendar, this has been replaced with 10 in the Glen.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Re 10 more in Moray, the last I heard was that they were still looking into it (10 in the Glen is a running race). That was a few months ago though, so maybe they are giving up on it.

devs
    Free Member

I can’t get into discussions about individuals or trends under individuals as diplomatic avenues are being pursued.
    At the moment there would still appear to be no 10 More in Moray due to the FC’s stance on this event too.

roger_mellie

Devs – questionnaire on its way to you. I’ve only had the opportunity to visit once since moving to the Highlands, but intend to go back more this year. Shame about the 10 more in Moray – its certainly more convenient for me than shlepping over to Fort William for 10 under the Ben.

stanfree
    Free Member

Was up at Whiteash today for the first time having previously done the Ordiquish trails last year. I have to admit that climbing to the top of the monument then onwards to the first proper part of the trail I was getting dissapointed thinking Its a red graded fire road trail. When I eventually hit the trails I was fairly Impressed some good little twists and turns. Unfortunately didnt get to the free ride As I was heading back to Elgin and It was getting really grey. It would be a shame If this was left with no funding but surely If It was used more the trails would stay In good condition.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Are these trails still open and easy to find way around?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Moray Monster Trails under threat’ is closed to new replies.