• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by jag61.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Moonbase aqua
  • scotroutes

So, they’ve found water on the moon.

But this??

Casey Honniball, postdoctoral fellow at Nasa’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland, said: “The amount of water is roughly equivalent to a 12-ounce bottle of water in a cubic metre of lunar soil.”

Let’s just hope she has nothing to do with engineering a rocket or habitation 🙂

matt_outandabout

You have to love ‘merican units of measure.

Didn’t someone say here the other week they have deci-inches?

jag61

So having fkd this world up are we going to slowly destroy solar system next

Poopscoop

jag61

In all likelihood yeah.

Luckily we are very, very well quarantined from anything beyond the solar system due to the absolutely vast distances involved. To get beyond those distances I suspect we will have to have long ago worked out all our crap as a species or simply bloom across the solar system but ultimately peter out.

I’m finding it very difficult to be optimistic about human kinds future all things considered.

jag61

Even if we are destined to become extinct at some point? We seem hellbent on making that happen asap it’s been a good ride though

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Maybe we had already trashed mars before we got here?

Interestingly, some photos of the surface of Venus show rocks which have that polished look, similar surfaces on earth that have undergone glaciation.
    Perhaps in a previous epoch, Venus had a climate similair to earths?

RustyNissanPrairie

She probably worked on the Mars orbiter!
    https://everydayastronaut.com/mars-climate-orbiter/

Mat

Sorry to go off topic…

Didn’t someone say here the other week they have deci-inches

Isn’t that the prevailing unit of measure for mountain bike tyre girth?

I was pondering this the other day, what a daft unit of measure it was whilst trying to visualise in my mind how much bigger a 2.6″ vs. 2.3″ tyre was. Mat’s internal dialogue:

Well of course its 0.3″, hmmm, whats that? 0.3*25.4, ahh ok 7.62mm

Seeing the obvious link to gun calibres now I write it down.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yip, a standard British Engineers steel rule will have 1/10ths of an inch.

richmtb

Yip, a standard British Engineers steel rule will have 1/10ths of an inch

And a really precise piece of work might be measured to the “thou”

Interestingly, some photos of the surface of Venus show rocks which have that polished look, similar surfaces on earth that have undergone glaciation.
    Perhaps in a previous epoch, Venus had a climate similar to earths?

The early sun wasn’t as strong as today so it certainly possible that Venus was a lot cooler in the past. But its position closer to the sun tipped it into a runaway greenhouse atmosphere once the sun started to warm up.

We are next in about a billion years, by which point Mars will have warmed up nicely

whitestone
    Free Member

We are next in about a billion years, by which point Mars will have warmed up nicely

Except that Mars’ internal core cooled down long ago and is now solid so there’s no mechanism to generate a protective magnetic field which is why the Martian atmosphere has been stripped away by the solar wind.

zippykona

I don’t know . We could store all our nuclear waste on the moon. As long as it doesn’t explode we should be ok.
    (You need to be a certain age)

jag61

Oh I’m a certain age alright zippy. If they extract a lot of ‘water’ won’t that affect the moon mass and the tides down here? Nah ! Boris will save us anyway

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Moonbase aqua’ is closed to new replies.