Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • money saving tip #37: bar grips
  • alpin
    Free Member

i bought two new pairs over the summer and fed up with the profile wearing down after a month or so.

i also don’t like the way the rubber goes sticky after a while – this is particuarily evident on the GFs bike (stop the innuendo!).

ok, so longevity would be improved if i were to wear gloves more often and it’d certainly stop the sticky rubber thing, but i don’t like wearing gloves all the time because they end up stinking and the stench gets transfered onto your hands.

so i took it upon myself to do something about it….

i bought some hadle bar tape. scraped off the rubber from an old set of grips and set about putting the tape on the carcasses.

shit photo, but i’m pleased with the result. had to glue down the last few cm’s as using the normal tape and then covering with bar tape looked gash.

two rolls of bar tape cost 8 quid. two rolls will be enough for 3 sets of grips. some funkier colours, too….

Drac

Can’t say I’ve had trouble with grips and I wash my gloves to stop the smell.

alpin
    Free Member

I too wash my gloves, but over the summer i was riding five or six days end-to-end and washing facilities were few and far between.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shower in your clothes, wash them while showering and dry them out after that.

alpin
    Free Member

never thought of that CFH… nice one…!

Drac

Carry a spare pair.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

use 2 pairs of gloves??

alpin
    Free Member

forget about the **** gloves!

i did have two pairs, but am now down to one and a half pairs. don’T know where it got to.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

[video]It wasn’t bar tape from Chain Reaction was it? Apparently it’s not long enough.

alpin
    Free Member

cincinelli… plenty long enough for MTB grips. not covering the whole 700mm bar with the stuff.

TheSanityAssassin

Another superb solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. Awesome.

igm

Surprised your not using old inner tube to do the wrap.

aracer
    Free Member

Here’s an even better money saving tip – don’t bother with the grips at all and just use bar tape.

rp16v
    Free Member

or just buy them from superstar for penuts lol and they last a good 3 months and are real cooshty

alpin
    Free Member

mine usually did last for three months, but with work i’m riding more than i used to…. a lot more!

dawson

they last a good 3 months

😯

do people change their grips that frequently?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

“do people change their grips that frequently?”

Some people need to get a grip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUfRYommlSA

dawson

@GG

i’ve still got that video!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Haha, me too, plus Dirt. I can watch Dirt so many times, never get bored.

sharki
    Free Member

GAG…

The quantocks don’t get ridden like that much anymore. 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

i quite like the plain sticky rubber my grips have worn to, but then I wear gloves as I don’t enjoy picking briar out of my fingers

rp16v
    Free Member

i commute 3 days,2 night rides and my sunday blast and i only changed my last ones as they the getting slimey due to hot day and sweaty gloves so not to bad going really

burmaboy
    Free Member

odi long neck lock ons. best grip ive ever used and lasts for at least a year of riding 1-2 times a week.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘money saving tip #37: bar grips’ is closed to new replies.