Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Mondeo estate or older A4 Avant?
  • airvent
    Free Member

Setting aside the current madness in car prices, it appears I can get a 5 ish year old Mondeo estate 2.0L titanium for about the same price as a 9/10 year old Audi A4 Avant. I’m a bit torn for a preference on the two as a ten year old car can start throwing up some hefty bills, but it’s meant to be a nicer drive than the Mondeo.

Were Audi’s from that time known for any particular problems or reasons I should go for the Mondeo over that?

chakaping
    Free Member

Knowing sweet FA about either, the 5.y.o car has got to be better if you plan on keeping it a while, hasn’t it?

The 10.y.o one will soon be 15 years old.

And a Mondeo will be quite a bit bigger than an A4 won’t it? More room for bikes & stuff.

Pieface

Apparently FWD Audi’s have a reputation for a heavy nose so not sure if they drive that well. The Mondeo can’t be bad, otherwise it wouldn’t be so popular.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/mondeo/estate/review/

If it was me I’d go for the Ford. Its probably bigger than the Audi and more tech.

uwe-r
    Free Member

All on how long you want it and how many miles you are looking at. If its a short term fix then maybe bangernomics. If you are going to put 100k miles on it then you have to go for the newer car.

alpin
    Free Member

New. A4s are tiny on the inside.

onewheelgood

Size-wise the Mondeo is equivalent (maybe even slightly bigger, depending on the model) to an A6, the A4 is more Focus sized inside. So if that matters, you’ll have to go with the Ford.

igm

The Mondeo hatch was a better drive than the A4 saloon we had.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’d have the Ford any day.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m no car guy as can be seen on other threads, but the Audi is a reverse TARDIS. Tiny inside. That would be a deal breaker for me.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

As others have said, different category of car. The Mondeo is a noticeably bigger car which means a lot more space inside. Also, likely to be cheaper in Road Tax than the A4. And they are pretty good cars. Decent to drive. Sure, maybe has a bit of a repmobile reputation but they are very good, competent cars. Currently have a Mondeo hatch but have had an estate in the past. Of the two choices you have listed I’d go with the Mondeo every time.

airvent
    Free Member

Thanks guys, hasn’t appreciated the difference in space inside, that may sway it.

Pieface

Apart from the boot, the other place you’ll notice is rear passenger legroom. If you’re going to be driving anyone bigger than kids for long journeys with biking gear, the Mondeo will be much better.

slowol

One is surely the best large estate car there is and the other is an Audi. Is there even a question to be asked? Other opinions are available 😉

Edit: also having driven the various generations of Mondeo in the works pool the newer the Mondeo the more efficient, even outwardly identical the engines seem to get more efficient every time a new one arrives in the works pool. For gear and passengers space plus effortless long journeys I’d pick one every time.

james-rennie

I have a mondeo estate, it’s got a massive boot, 29er in the boot wheels on.
    We’re heading off camping tonight (without bikes) and I’m in tent with wife and daughter, 5’11” son sleeping in mondeo boot with seats folded flat.

retro83
    Free Member

Pieface
    Free Member

Apparently FWD Audi’s have a reputation for a heavy nose so not sure if they drive that well. The Mondeo can’t be bad, otherwise it wouldn’t be so popular.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/mondeo/estate/review/

If it was me I’d go for the Ford. Its probably bigger than the Audi and more tech.

I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic, but the Mondeo is not that popular. Hence Ford discontinuing it.

Cougar

I’ve had a (hatchback) Mondeo and an A6 Avant. I’d take the Mondeo any day of the week.

Northwind

The A4’s not just less big, it also makes less good use of the space it has. It’s one thing Mondeos have always done pretty well- flat entrance to the boot, big usable unencroached spaces, foot space etc. It’s not quite as uncanny as a mk1 focus (I swear you could fit another focus in the boot of mine) but it’s still good and the audi is basically not that good.

martymac

Mondeo all day long.
    Just as good to drive, more space, and 5 years newer.

garage-dweller

Mondeo every time from those two.

Bigger and unless the A4 drives a LOT better than a Passat of the same era (with which it probably shares a few bits) I’d say it’s likely to drive a lot better too.

As I understand it from the press I read it’s being discontinued because the market has gone MPV and particularly SUV mad in the space it used to occupy and it’s non fleet buyers are headed for Kugas these days.

Not a bad car just market forces.

fossy

And Audi’s rust badly.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got a 10 plate Mondeo that I’ve had for 6 years. It’s a ‘nice’ car, not exciting, not spectacular, not fast, just nice. Massive luggage space, relaxing to drive, quiet, fairly economical at 52+ mpg on my 15 mile each way commute, had no major problems etc.
    I’d have another.

swavis

As a previous owner of an Audi A4 of about that age I’d take the Mondeo waaaay before the Audi.

sadmadalan

We have an 11 year old Mondeo estate which has been great. It is huge but comfortable to drive. Would replace it with another one, but as the kids have left home, will be downsizing.

codybrennan
    Free Member

B8 Audi Avant here, so same model as the one you’re looking at (although mine is just before the model changeover to B9). Audi wins hands down, and I say that as a former late-model Mondeo owner, if you’re looking at ride, cabin quality, seats, systems integration- all better in the German.

Slightly less engaging to drive, but its an estate so. Slightly smaller interior, but neater overall, and you can see where it all went- the materials, sound proofing, fit and finish. There’s a reason both the cars you’re looking at are the same price. Bar an A/C compressor repaired under warranty, mine has been flawless to its current 110k miles, still shifts even with the CVT, returns around 45mpg overall. I won’t be changing it any time soon.

In saying that, the Mondeo is 5 years younger and is a very nice car, and is less liable to cost you money- age/condition is important- I’d probably go with that if it was me.

twistedpencil

Just got another Mondeo Estate, four years old, it’s ace. Boring, but in a good way. All mod cons etc, looked at other makes after a thread on here, but othing came close in terms of bang for buck. First biking trip in it this weekend 🙂

BigJohn

My local independent garage told me not to touch with a bargepole the 3 yr old Mondeo estate I had my eye on. It had the powershift gearbox, which can be an expensive thing (depending on year) to maintain and, worse, if it breaks.

garage-dweller

I was warned off buying a powershift car new by our local main Ford dealer because of the mileage I planned to do in it. Said I would be better with a manual and avoid some big maintenance charges.

I am gearbox agnostic so it wouldn’t bother me having a manual. Last car was auto (VW dsg), current one is a (Ford) manual but if you want an auto it’s probably th Audi (unless it’s one of the DSG versions that were problematic).

rockandrollmark

It all depends on your priories. Both cars have pros and cons.

In the Audi’s favour they’re bloody good at sitting on the motorway and devouring big miles in total comfort. They’re nice to sit in as well and the sound systems are anything between very good and brilliant depending on whether the previous owner was feeling flush or not. To it’s disadvantage I’ve no idea where all the space goes.

Mondeo will be a bit more engaging to drive and is much (much!) larger inside. They’re not quite as refined though (soundproofing, interior’s not quite as nice) but it will be that but newer, and lower miles for the same money as an A4. Also, you avoid the image problem that goes with any German car if you’re bothered by that.

Harry_the_Spider

Mondingo every time. Nobody likes an Audi driver. 😉

awkwardkid
    Free Member

Mondeo all day.
    Bought a ST220 V6 state. Swallows up bikes, kids and dog easily. Not to shabby to drive and i love it doesn’t have nav, blue tooth etc (its a decent spec just old i guess). Sounds ok and surprises some when i rocket past.
    Got it solely to do the above but find i drive it more often than my other cars. Just does everything well, in comfort, fairly quick and on a run decent MPG.
    Oh and you don’t spend a week for folks letting you out of junctions… Audi, something beginning with W? (Its not Witty FYI)

keefezza
    Free Member

2013 Audi A4 Avant owner and absolutely love it. It replaced a Mk5 golf so space is much better, seats people in the back easily and my 3 kids even easier.
    Given the size of the car the boot could be a lot bigger, but as others have said it’s a very comfortable drive. Motorway miles are a breeze and quiet, very noticeably quieter than the golf it replaced.
    Does have a few niggly rattles that are irritating but music turned up that goes away.
    I could have done with some more space but only realised that when I tried to go camping. I have absolutely no issue fitting bikes and gear in the back with wheel off.

If you want a massive car go for the Mondeo, the only thing the Audi has going for it is the higher quality interior parts and I suspect the comfort side of driving. There’s a reason they are more expensive than Mondeo’s.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I’m old and have driven a lot of cars. I’ve had several Ford estates, Focus and Mondeo’s. I’ve also had several VW group cars. If you want driving dynamics, space and reliability go for the Mondeo in manual guise if you can find one. The early Powershift dual clutch auto is riddled with problems, as are the DQ200 DSG used in VW cars. Ford have now gone to Torque converter autos. If you want very safe understeer handling, a nicer interior and better resale value from perceived improvement in reliability (check any warranty company for VW group vs Ford and VW will be way lower) go for the Audi. If it was my money I’d go for a 5 series Tourer and get the driving dynamics and perceived quality. Just put a bit aside for the inevitable repair.

mashr

In the Audi’s favour they’re bloody good at sitting on the motorway and devouring big miles in total comfort

This is what Mondeos were built for

maccruiskeen

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Mondeo estate or older A4 Avant?’ is closed to new replies.