• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by lcj.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Monaco GP circuit not fit for purpose .
  • RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Not a great fan of F1 but what is the point of a race track where virtually nobody can overtake . surely there are loads of better circuits in the world that they could use .

bear-uk
    Free Member

I never watched it for that very reason. Similar to most F1 races imo

orangespyderman

It’s more about the regulations, I think. Monaco has always been tough to overtake but under many of the F1 regs, it’s been possible. I think this thread is actually about why F1 is less interesting than it was a few decades ago, and that will go on for some time, I fear…

EDIT – but it’s always been specific (teams have steering ratios that are specific to it) so the amount of development time that goes in to winning there these days is limited, I suspect. I used to marshal at Le Mans and that has a different problem, but I do know some people in the ACM that have invited me to marshal F1 there; still on my bucket list when kids grow up and I have more disposable spare time 😀

The historic GP there is absolutely fab to watch however.

nixie

I hate Monaco as a race as it’s utterly boring. However the single lap challenge is something else. It only remains for the party and the money.

lesgrandepotato

Did none of you watch it?

trekfs9
    Free Member

I watched a guy leading a race, I dont like him cos he is so far up his own arse. Anyway used to love the circuit and weekend, it’s now a procession where you can race at 80% with knackered tyres knowing nobody can pass you. I turned over, I hear he won.

tomhoward

Does mean that every overtake is a brilliant one though, or at least dramatic. The ‘will he/won’t he have a go’ with Max and Lewis at the end was good, and it was a shame leclerc wasn’t more careful getting back to the pits, as that would have been ace too. As would rain…

I’d rather have Monaco, where the stands are full and it’s a proper spectacle (the whole weekend, rather than just the F1), than a race in the desert where the only people watching are the other teams and TV crews…

trekfs9
    Free Member

Yes I agree it’s not good watching empty circuits but the racing is better than Monaco, it’s just the nostalgia that comes with Monte Carlo that saves it. F1 is not in a good place when 1 team is so dominant unfortunately.

Daffy

Monaco is the raced on Saturday, not Sunday and Saturday was spectacular.

Sunday was more thriller than action spectacular, but not bad for Monaco.

The cars these days are too wide and too fast and too powerful to allow proper racing anymore.

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s their annual piss up / thank you to their sponsors.

The drivers like it too, but it’s always seemed like an F1 race on a Kart Track.

lcj

I can’t stand it as a race. Looks more and more like a self indulgent anomaly on the calendar each year

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Monaco GP circuit not fit for purpose .’ is closed to new replies.